Switch to Forum Live View Is Shakti/kundalini the same as Holy Spirit?
4 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2011 - 10:25PM #1
gangajal
Recently Rajiv Malhotra has written in Beliefnet a blog ("Holy Spirit is not the same as Shakti or Kundalini")
  www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/Hinduism/Articl...

The leading Catholic theologian  magazine called "America Magazine" has just posted an article by Francis  Clooney (a Harvard Prof. and a Jesuit theologian) in direct response to his blog.

Francis Clooney's article: www.americamagazine.org/blog/entry.cfm?b...

What do you all think?
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2011 - 8:58AM #2
Maya3

I think it IS the same, we are ALL one with God, what your religion says has nothing to do with it.

The power is the power, God is God it´s only humans who try to make it sound as though it´s different.

That said, it may be that Christians dont have a tradition to recognize the kundalini force and may not sit in meditation for long enough for it to begin to flow upward. But that does not mean that it is not dormant in their bodies as well.

It´s also possible that when they feel the Holy Spirit, that what they feel is not the full potential of Shakti because it´s channeled differently, I really don´t know.

But just as we can feel energy after chanting, or visiting a temple I´m sure they feel the same at church

Maya

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 29, 2011 - 5:12PM #3
Issabhandu1

Namaste,

I agree power is power and God is God.  God is the Source. Shakti / Chi / kundalini, these are all energies.

I am a Christian Hindu.  I worship Jesus in the Orthodox line as my Spiritual Master.  Yes, the energies are experienced here differently, not like sitting and meditating (though I cannot speak for our sitting congregations who listen to us sing); but, the same energies are coming.  Liberating experiences.

Also, I have always seen the Supersoul or Paramatma as the Holy Spirit.  The Supersoul is simultaneously in all living beings, and yet there is only the One Supersoul.  The Paramatma acts Karmically or Devotionally in each individual according to desire, worthiness or Grace.

I think, the association of devotional individuals causes the Supersoul to bear devotional reaction within each congregant, and this activates the above mentioned energies.  And of course, those energies are God's bestowance.

Well, anyway, that's my working theory.

Issa.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 30, 2011 - 7:13PM #4
TransJ

To all, from a theological point of view I would say that the Holy Spirit of Christianity is not the Shakti or Kundalini. My understanding of Christianity is that it is profoundly a dualism of two realities. God and the world or the creator and the created. The Holy Spirit may indwell a person but is not an inherent part of a persons nature or energy.

TransJ

Divine blessing.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2011 - 12:16PM #5
gangajal

So TransJ, what then is the function of the holy spirit according to Christianity?

Shakti according to Yogic theory is what allows us to function as a human being. It is the central energy of the human body-mind complex. The Yogi raises his Kundalin Shakti in order to create the spiritual mind.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 12, 2011 - 8:05PM #6
TransJ

Sep 9, 2011 -- 12:16PM, gangajal wrote:

So TransJ, what then is the function of the holy spirit according to Christianity?

Shakti according to Yogic theory is what allows us to function as a human being. It is the central energy of the human body-mind complex. The Yogi raises his Kundalin Shakti in order to create the spiritual mind.

My understand is that human being have a soul/spirit of their own and God has a Holy Spirit of his own. they are completely seperate entity's. Human souls/spirits came from nothing and can return to nothing, but the Holy Spirit is eternal. The main function of the Holy Spirit is to bestow divine blessings (authority) from God. For example; a christian has the authority to go to heaven because the Holy Spirit is with the christian because they believe in what Jesus did on the cross.       

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 12, 2011 - 10:52PM #7
gangajal

Thanks TransJ. What you have written suggests that the concept of the holy spirit is indeed different from the concept of Shakti.

Gangajal

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 13, 2011 - 10:50PM #8
TransJ

Sep 12, 2011 -- 10:52PM, gangajal wrote:

Thanks TransJ. What you have written suggests that the concept of the holy spirit is indeed different from the concept of Shakti.

Gangajal

You are indeed welcome.

Divine blessing

TransJ.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook