Switch to Forum Live View Understanding Christian principles?
3 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2011 - 4:18PM #1
Cfcarmody
I was Baptized as an infant, grew up in the Presbyterian church and have considered myself a 'Christian' all of my life. Until recently, I never considered who Jesus really was, what he did for us and what he left behind. The Trinity still confuses me because it does hint of polytheism and I only worship one God. I never understood the meaning of the Holy Spirit, until I experienced it for myself.
So, I am starting this new thread to find out other peoples experiences with  God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit or all three.

To whom do you pray? Where are they? Do you believe that Jesus was raised from the dead? Do you believe in heaven?

I am interested in hearing about these beliefs you have that must be made on faith (cannot be proven). Although I was brought up in the church, I consider myself a new christian because I am only seeing these things now for the first time in my life.  I would love to hear from long time christians as well as people new to the faith. Of course, non christian views are most welcome too. Thanks!
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 09, 2011 - 11:21PM #2
Discerner

Jun 2, 2011 -- 4:18PM, Cfcarmody wrote:

I was Baptized as an infant, grew up in the Presbyterian church and have considered myself a 'Christian' all of my life. Until recently, I never considered who Jesus really was, what he did for us and what he left behind. The Trinity still confuses me because it does hint of polytheism and I only worship one God. I never understood the meaning of the Holy Spirit, until I experienced it for myself.
So, I am starting this new thread to find out other peoples experiences with  God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit or all three.

Your renewed interest in a life as a Christian is interesting. There are numerous doctrinal beliefs about everything in the Bible from Genesis to Revelation. Maybe I can explain some of the issues you have brought up. Jesus is the Son of God, and is God. The word 'God' is a status, or title, rather than a name. That is why in the Bible it refers to God as being God, the Father, and Jesus, as God, the Son. They have numerous other names or titles, especially Jesus. He is known as the Saviour, the Lamb of God, the Son of man, Counsellor, Wonderful, the Bread of Life, the Water of Life, Messiah, Lord, the sacrificial Lamb, etc. When sin entered the world, a plan of salvation was initiated. It involved the sacrifice of Christ on the cross in order to overcome the sin of death, and provide the means of our escape from eternal death as well. Jesus is our Mediator, He is the One who died for our sins, thus we are justified by faith in Him and given unmerited grace by the Father. The Holy Spirit is a Person as well, for there are numerous references in scripture that addresses the Holy Spirit as a 'he', not an 'it'. It is the third party of the Triune, or Godhead, which consists of God, the Father, God, the Son and the Holy Spirit. They are one in purpose, unity and agreement. Their composition and actions are not well understood, and some scholars equate them as being one of the mysteries of the Godhead. The Holy Spirit is the still, small voice that 'whispers' in our ear when we are getting ready to do something wrong, or sinful. It is the voice that guides us in the right way. It is able to be everywhere at the same time, and this is an unexplainable mystery.

To whom do you pray? Where are they? Do you believe that Jesus was raised from the dead? Do you believe in heaven?

You pray to God, through Jesus, for He is our Mediator, and that is why you finish a prayer with "In Jesus Name, Amen". Their physical location is somewhere in the universe, and any attempt to positively identify a specific place in the universe is pure speculation. Yes, I believe that Jesus was raised from the dead, and here's the reason why. First, I believe in the Godhead. I believe in the Word of God, and as such, I believe what the Word of God says, and it says that Christ was raised from the grave on the third day, spent 40 days on this earth and then ascended to His Father, and that He will come again for His own...the redeemed, and take us to heaven as promised in John 14:1-3. 

I am interested in hearing about these beliefs you have that must be made on faith (cannot be proven). Although I was brought up in the church, I consider myself a new christian because I am only seeing these things now for the first time in my life.  I would love to hear from long time christians as well as people new to the faith. Of course, non christian views are most welcome too. Thanks!

It is to our credit in this day and age that we accept Christ based on faith. The Israelites turned away from God, and did so even when they witnessed many of the miracles that God performed in their exodus from Egypt. So if they turned away from God in the face of all of the miracles performed by God, would it make any difference if we were able to witness miracles of that magnitude today? The fact that we accept Christ by faith is the forerunner of unmerited grace being given to us by the Father. I hope this briefly explains the basis for a belief in Christ through faith. If you would like further information, or would like supporting scriptures, provide a response on this thread and I will attempt to answer each question you may have.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 13, 2011 - 4:23PM #3
Patricklongworth

I can partly sympathize with what you wrote, given that I was baptized as an infant (in England in a high Anglican church) and attended Sunday School at a high Anglican church in Richmond.

I never received confirmation, to my knowledge, and my parents and I left that church and never returned, except for baptisms etc.

So, why and how am I here now?  By the grace and mercy of God, someone from a different culture invited me to their church (Evangelical) and I was largely accepted by everyone there though I was not of their culture.  I was given the opportunity to accept Jesus into my life and be forgiven of my sins.  That and a growing education in the things of God is why I am here now.

Though I don't hold it against them, my former church apparently did little or nothing to prepare me for my future life aside from perhaps some bible reading, singing etc.

Is this why the churches of today are declining, because they are not using the word of God properly and in a timely way?  Don't talk to me about "hellfire and damnation" sermons at least without explaining the other sides of God, to make God one dimensional is a mistake, even if we fail to properly understand Him in all His fullness.  God is love, amen, otherwise how could we even love?  He is more than love though, just, wise, even if our experience of the world seems to suggest to us that we cannot believe that of Him.

Faith is not an easy thing, definitely, peace to you and all who read this.
Patrick

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook