Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Islam's teaching of Evolution
4 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2011 - 4:16PM #1
Muhammad_Ahmad

What does Islam state about evolution?

In the Qur'an we read, "And indeed He has created you by various stages... And Allah has caused you to grow out of the earth as a growth, Then He returns you to it, then will He bring you forth a (new) bringing forth (Qur’an 71:14, 17-18).

As Dr. Zahid Aziz says on his weblog, Muslim scholar of the Lahore Ahmadiyya Movement in Islam,

We believe that each person should be free to reach his own conclusion. How life originated and how human beings came into their present form does not affect the conduct of our lives in any way. There have been Muslim scholars from centuries ago who held that Adam was not the first man. The view that a human being in the present form was suddenly created cannot be conclusively established from the Quran. There are passages in the Quran on the basis of which you can argue that life evolved. The Quran says (29:20):

“Say: Travel in the earth then see how He makes the first creation, then Allah creates the latter creation.”

It would seem that Charles Darwin did just this. He travelled in the earth, trying to learn how the “first creation” and the “latter creation” were created.

Creation of Man

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2011 - 11:02PM #2
Idbc

Howdy Muhammad

Apr 8, 2011 -- 4:16PM, Muhammad_Ahmad wrote:

What does Islam state about evolution?

In the Qur'an we read, "And indeed He has created you by various stages... And Allah has caused you to grow out of the earth as a growth, Then He returns you to it, then will He bring you forth a (new) bringing forth (Qur’an 71:14, 17-18). 

I am sure that BDboy would disagree with the interpretation refers to diverse species.  What I think he and other Muslims would say is that this refers to diverse stages that OCCUR IN THE WOMB. 

As Dr. Zahid Aziz says on his weblog, Muslim scholar of the Lahore Ahmadiyya Movement in Islam,

I think it is safe to say that Muslim scholars who are not of the Lahore Ahmadiyya Movement....disagree.

We believe that each person should be free to reach his own conclusion. How life originated and how human beings came into their present form does not affect the conduct of our lives in any way. There have been Muslim scholars from centuries ago who held that Adam was not the first man. The view that a human being in the present form was suddenly created cannot be conclusively established from the Quran. There are passages in the Quran on the basis of which you can argue that life evolved. The Quran says (29:20):

“Say: Travel in the earth then see how He makes the first creation, then Allah creates the latter creation.” 

However other Muslims believe that there is a limit to what even free men believe.  There are limits to......innovations. 

It would seem that Charles Darwin did just this. He travelled in the earth, trying to learn how the “first creation” and the “latter creation” were created.

Creation of Man

I feel safe in saying that the vast majority of Non-Ahamdiyya scholars would strongly disagree. 

I heard one Muslim professor got death threats for speaking about eviloution.

www.newser.com/story/113500/iman-prof-ge...

"A British imam and scientist who tried making a point about the theory of evolution being compatible with Islam was forced to retract his comments because of death threats, reports the Independent. Dr. Usama Hasan, a physicist and fellow at the Royal Astronomical Society, was told by police to avoid an East London mosque, after delivering a lecture there earlier this year about how Islam and the theory of evolution were compatible. "I seek Allah's forgiveness for my mistakes and apologize for any offense caused," wrote Hasan in a statement."

Even Gallieo didn't get death threats. 

And I don't know of any Muslim scholars who made the claim thatNe Adam and Eve were not the first human beings.  The Quran clearly states that they were the first human beings created by Allah. 

It is a core principle in Islam that ALL human being were decended from Adam and Eve.   H

Have A Thinking Day And May Reason Guide You 

HAVE A THINKING DAY MAY REASON GUIDE YOU
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2011 - 3:48AM #3
Muhammad_Ahmad

IDBC writes: I heard one Muslim professor got death threats for speaking about eviloution.

Now you you condone Muslim violence! But of course since obviously you have a 'limited' view of tolerance.

IDBC writes: And I don't know of any Muslim scholars who made the claim thatNe Adam and Eve were not the first human beings.  The Quran clearly states that they were the first human beings created by Allah. 

Yes, since you don't know, whatever you think must therefore be true.  

Which verses of the Holy Qur'an speak of Adam as being the first creation of mankind?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2011 - 12:55PM #4
Abdullah.

Way to go IDBC , Who needs Muslims to refute such unIslamic views when there's IDBC to combat them Laughing; keep it up! Cool

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2011 - 1:51PM #5
BDboy

Apr 9, 2011 -- 3:48AM, Muhammad_Ahmad wrote:

IDBC writes: I heard one Muslim professor got death threats for speaking about eviloution.

Now you you condone Muslim violence! But of course since obviously you have a 'limited' view of tolerance. 

>>>>>>> I did not see anyone to "Condone" anything. Rather IDBC reported an event ONLY!!

IDBC writes: And I don't know of any Muslim scholars who made the claim thatNe Adam and Eve were not the first human beings.  The Quran clearly states that they were the first human beings created by Allah. 

Which verses of the Holy Qur'an speak of Adam as being the first creation of mankind?

>>>>>>>> Actually IDBC has been around Beliefnet forum for many years and took part in many discussions and debates. I think IDBC knows a lot about Islam. It seems you need a little help in Islamic knowledge. The noble Qur'an spoke about prophet Adam, creation stories and spoke children of Adam (Humanity) quite a few times. I'll share the one I was able to gather.

(The Noble Qur'an)

============== 

Surah/Chapter 002 - Al-Baqarah. Verse 31.

And He taught ADAM all the names, then showed them to the angels, saying: Inform me of the names of these, if ye are truthful.

Surah/Chapter 002 - Al-Baqarah. Verse 33.

He said: O ADAM! Inform them of their names, and when he had informed them of their names, He said: Did I not tell you that I know the secret of the heavens and the earth? And I know that which ye disclose and which ye hide.

Surah/Chapter 002 - Al-Baqarah. Verse 34.

And when We said unto the angels: Prostrate yourselves before ADAM, they fell prostrate, all save Iblis He demurred through pride, and so became a disbeliever.

Surah/Chapter 002 - Al-Baqarah. Verse 35.

And We said: O ADAM! Dwell thou and thy wife in the Garden, and eat ye freely (of the fruits) thereof where ye will; but come not nigh this tree lest ye become wrongdoers.

Surah/Chapter 002 - Al-Baqarah. Verse 37.

Then ADAM received from his Lord words (of revelation), and He relented toward him. Lo! He is the Relenting the Merciful.

Surah/Chapter 003 - Al-Imrân. Verse 33.

Lo! Allah preferred ADAM and Noah and the Family of Abraham and the Family of 'Imran above (all His) creatures.

Surah/Chapter 003 - Al-Imrân. Verse 59.

Lo! the likeness of Jesus with Allah is as the likeness of ADAM. He created him of dust, then He said unto him: Be! and he is.

Surah/Chapter 005 - Al-Mâ'idah. Verse 27.

But recite unto them with truth the tale of the two sons of ADAM, how they offered each a sacrifice, and it was accepted from the one of them and it was not accepted from the other. (The one) said: I will surely kill thee. (The other) answered: Allah accepteth only from those who ward off (evil).

Surah/Chapter 007 - Al-A'râf. Verse 11.

And We created you, then fashioned you, then told the angels: Fall ye prostrate before ADAM! And they fell prostrate, all save Iblis, who was not of those who make prostration.

Surah/Chapter 007 - Al-A'râf. Verse 19.

And (unto man): O ADAM! Dwell thou and thy wife in the Garden and eat from whence ye will, but come not nigh this tree lest ye become wrong doers.

Surah/Chapter 007 - Al-A'râf. Verse 26.

O Children of ADAM! We have revealed unto you raiment to conceal your shame, and splendid vesture, but the raiment of restraint from evil, that is best. This is of the revelations of Allah, that they may remember.

Surah/Chapter 007 - Al-A'râf. Verse 27.

O Children of ADAM! Let not Satan seduce you as he caused your (first) parents to go forth from the Garden and tore off from them their robe (of innocence) that be might manifest their shame to them. Lo! he seeth you, he and his tribe, from whence ye see him not. Lo! We have made the devils protecting friends for those who believe not.

Surah/Chapter 007 - Al-A'râf. Verse 31.

O Children of ADAM! Look to your adornment at every place of worship, and eat and drink, but be not prodigal. Lo! He loveth not the prodigals.

Surah/Chapter 007 - Al-A'râf. Verse 35.

O Children of ADAM! If messengers of your own come unto you who narrate unto you My revelations, then whosoever refraineth from evil and amendeth there shall no fear come upon them neither shall they grieve.

Surah/Chapter 007 - Al-A'râf. Verse 172.

And (remember) when thy Lord brought forth from the Children of ADAM, from their reins, their seed, and made them testify of themselves, (saying): Am I not your Lord? They said: Yea, verily. We testify. (That was) lest ye should say at the Day of Resurrection: Lo! of this we were unaware;

Surah/Chapter 017 - Al-Isrâ. Verse 61.

And when We said unto the angels: Fall down prostrate before ADAM and they fell prostrate all save Ibis, he said: Shall I fall prostrate before that which Thou hast created of clay?

Surah/Chapter 017 - Al-Isrâ. Verse 70.

Verily We have honored the children of ADAM. We carry them on the land and the sea, and have made provision of good things for them, and have preferred them above many of those whom We created with a marked preferment.

Surah/Chapter 018 - Al-Kahf. Verse 50.

And (remember) when We said unto the angels: Fall prostrate before ADAM, and they fell prostrate, all save Ibis. He was of the Jinn, so he rebelled against his Lord's command. Will ye choose him and his seed for your protecting friends instead of Me, when they are an enemy unto you? Calamitous is the exchange for evil doers!

Surah/Chapter 019 - Maryam. Verse 58.

These are they unto whom Allah showed favor from among the Prophets, of the seed of ADAM and of those whom We carried (in the ship) with Noah, and of the seed of Abraham and Israel, and from among those whom We guided and chose. When the revelations of the Beneficent were recited unto them, they fell down, adoring and weeping.

Surah/Chapter 020 - Tâ­Hâ. Verse 115.

And verily We made a covenant of old with ADAM, but he forgot, and We found no constancy in him.

Surah/Chapter 020 - Tâ­Hâ. Verse 116.

And when We said unto the angels: Fall prostrate before ADAM, they fell prostrate (all) save Iblis; he refused.

Surah/Chapter 020 - Tâ­Hâ. Verse 117.

Therefor We said: O ADAM! This is an enemy unto thee and unto thy wife, so let him not drive you both out of the Garden so that thou come to toil.

Surah/Chapter 020 - Tâ­Hâ. Verse 120.

But the Devil whispered to him, saying: O ADAM! Shall I show thee the tree of immortality and power that wasteth not away?

Surah/Chapter 020 - Tâ­Hâ. Verse 121.

Then they twain ate thereof, so that their shame became apparent unto them, and they began to hide by heaping on themselves some of the leaves of the Garden. And ADAM disobeyed his Lord, so went astray.

Surah/Chapter 036 - Yâ­Sîn. Verse 60.

Did I not charge you, O ye sons of ADAM, that ye worship not the devil Lo! he is your open foe!

===============================================================

If you like to learn about more about this topic, please click here.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2011 - 7:10PM #6
visio

Hi folks! aren't the following verses enough for one to figure out when both creation and evolution begins?

Fussilat (they are explained in detail) 41 : 9 - 12   Say (O Muhammadsaw): "Do you verily disbelieve in ALLAH Who created the earth in two days?   And you set up rivals with ALLAH?  THAT is the Lord of the Alamin (Kingdom of man, jinn and angels)?   ALLAH placed therein firm mountains from above it, and ALLAH blessed it, and measured therein its sustenance in four days equal, for all those who ask.   Then  the Lord rose over (istawa) towards the heaven when it was smoke, and said to it (the heaven) and to the earth:   "Come both of you willingly or unwillingly."  They both said: "We come willingly."   The ALLAH completed and finished from their creation (as) seven heavens in two days and ALLAH made in each heven its affair.   And We adorned the nearest (highest) heaven with lamps (stars) to be an adornment as well as to guard.   Such is the Decree of ALLAH the all Mighty, the All Knower.

If there are any verse in the Al-Quran, as I see it, about both soul/spirit and matter's (particulary human bodily) creation and evolution, it has to be sparked off by the above verses.  Creation and Evolution of matter and soul/spirit couplet goes hand in hand.  And the above verses aren't talking about the solid and apparent/visible we are seeing with our eyes day in and day out.  And, hence, finally the Al-Quran isn't talking about creation BEGINS an X billion years ago.  IT is talking about  continous creation at every instant and so is uncreation.  I'll let anyone to figure out what is the time interval between each successive instances. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2011 - 4:25AM #7
Abdullah.

It is verry easy to think that ALlah could have created Adam [as] in stages, from molecule in the water, to tadpole?, frog, reptile, donkey, ape to man [or something like that ], as scientists claim there is overwhelming evidence of such an evolutionary process, however, one crucial thing the scientists left out from their theory, is GOD, i.e, the possibility that God could have created all of this without having to put it through the gradual microscopic changes process, hence they assumed that all things must have come about by chance, and thus started from a minute stage and gradually evolving

An objective look into the evolution theory shows us that it is philospohically biased [i.e, assumes that the philospophy of materialism, that there is no God and that matter and energy is all that exists, is true] and full of scientific impasses; Harun Yahya has done a rather thorough research on this; read all about it on the following link:

www.evolutiondeceit.com/

So given the reality of this UNSCIENTIFIC theory, let us have a look now as to what Islam says about how all creatures were created; as for other species then man, Islam does not say that it couldn't have happened in a gradual evolution process where one creaure gradually evolved into another, and there is evidence in Islam that ALlah does make some creatures metormorphorsise at times, such as when a group of humans were turned into apes for rebelling agaisnt ALlah's commands,

however, without any concrete evidence, it is best to leave to ALlah how they were created rather than for us to conjecture

And regarding man, Islamic evidence is decicive on this, and i'll let shakyh nuh keller take it from here Wink:

Man

Regarding your question whether the Qur'anic account of creation is incompatible with man having evolved; if evolution entails, as Darwin believed, that "probably all the organic beings which have ever lived on this earth have descended from one primordial form, into which life was first breathed" (The Origin of Species, 455), I apprehend that this is incompatible with the Qur'anic account of creation. Our first ancestor was the prophet Adam (upon whom be peace), who was created by Allah in janna, or "paradise" and not on earth, but also created in a particular way that He describes to us: 

"And [mention] when your Lord said to the angels, 'Truly, I will create a man from clay. So when I have completed him, and breathed into him of My spirit, then fall down prostrate to him.' And the angels prostrated, one and all. Save for Satan, who was too proud to, and disbelieved. He said to him, 'O Satan, what prevented you from prostrating to what I have created with My two hands? Are you arrogant, or too exalted?' He said,'I am better than he; You created me from fire and created him from clay'" (Qur'an 38:71-76). 

Now, the God of Islam is transcendently above any suggestion of anthropomorphism, and Qur'anic exegetes like Fakhr al-Din al-Razi explain the above words created with My two hands as a figurative expression of Allah's special concern for this particular creation, the first human, since a sovereign of immense majesty does not undertake any work "with his two hands" unless it is of the greatest importance (Tafsir al-Fakhr al-Razi. 32 vols. Beirut 1401/1981. Reprint (32 vols. in 16). Beirut: Dar al-Fikr, 1405/1985, 26.231-32). I say "the first human," because the Arabic term bashar used in the verse "Truly, I will create a man from clay" means precisely a human being and has no other lexical significance. 

The same interpretive considerations (of Allah's transcendance above the attributes of created things) apply to the words and breathed into him of My spirit. Because the Qur'an unequivocally establishes that Allah is Ahad or "One," not an entity divisible into parts, exegetes say this "spirit" was a created one, and that its attribution to Allah ("My spirit") is what is called in Arabic idafat al-tashrif "an attribution of honor," showing that the ruh or "spirit" within this first human being and his descendants was "a sacred, exalted, and noble substance" (ibid., 228)--not that there was a "part of Allah" such as could enter into Adam's body, which is unbelief. Similar attributions are not infrequent in Arabic, just as the Kaaba is called bayt Allah, or "the House of Allah," meaning "Allah's honored house," not that it is His address; or such as the she-camel sent to the people of Thamud, which was called naqat Allah, or "the she-camel of Allah," meaning "Allah's honored she-camel," signifying its inviolability in the shari'a of the time, not that He rode it; and so on. 

All of which shows that, according to the Qur'an, human beings are intrinsically--by their celestial provenance in janna, by their specially created nature, and by the ruh or soul within them--at a quite different level in Allah's eyes than other terrestrial life, whether or not their bodies have certain physiological affinities with it, which are the prerogative of their Maker to create.

As for claim that man has evolved from a non-human species, this is unbelief (kufr) no matter if we ascribe the process to Allah or to "nature," because it negates the truth of Adam's special creation that Allah has revealed in the Qur'an. Man is of special origin, attested to not only by revelation, but also by the divine secret within him, the capacity for ma'rifa or knowledge of the Divine that he alone of all things possesses. By his God-given nature, man stands before a door opening onto infinitude that no other creature in the universe can aspire to. Man is something else. 

www.masud.co.uk/ISLAM/nuh/evolve.htm

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2011 - 2:18PM #8
Idbc

Howdy Muhammad

Wrong, wrong, wrong. 

First violence was never comitted violence was  THREATENED

Fortunately(?)the professor the changed his mind an publicly recanted his Un-Islamic(?)statement.

And nowhere did I condone the THREAT of violence.  Now wether or not THREATENING a professors or scientists, who are experts in their field and  who happen to be Muslims with violence for making controversal statements is Islamic or  Un-Islamic I suspect is a matter of debate. 

As BDboy so graciously pointed out I have been on this board and others like it a long time.  I know more about Islam than your average Kuffar.  Now you are right in saying that the Quran does not explictly say "Adam and Eve were the first humans beings I(Allah)created.   But they are the earliest ones mentioned.  And saying that I don't know of any Muslim scholars who have made the claim that Adam and Eve were "not" the first human beings doesn't mean there aren't any. 

You made the claim that there are such scholars.  It is up to you to support the claim, you have the burden of proof.

So:

Who are these other scholars? 

Who were the first human beings created? 

Why are they not mentioned in the Quran.?

All Muslims, as well as Jews and Christians agree that the first human beings were Adam and Eve. 

And they all make the claim that we are all brothers because we are decended from Adam and Eve.

Apr 9, 2011 -- 12:55PM, Abdullah. wrote:

Way to go IDBC , Who needs Muslims to refute such unIslamic views when there's IDBC to combat them ; keep it up!

Well thank you Abudallah. But which particular un-Islam view did  I refute? 

This is not an objective scientific view

www.evolutiondeceit.com/  

It is a subjective Islamic view.  

Harun Yahya has done a rather thorough research on this; read all about it on the following link:

This thing is a hack no better than the Christian an Jewish fundamentalist who make almost the identical claims.  He is a burden to Islam.  

And yes, I will agree that modern western science does try to explain not only evilolutionary theory from a naturalist-physicalist perspective but all other theories.  

Muslim fundamentalist do not claim that

The Theory of Relativity is wrong or that it is a "Jewish Theory" or "Jewish Science"  or "just  a theory".  

i.e, the possibility that God could have created all of this without having to put it through the gradual microscopic changes process, hence they assumed that all things must have come about by chance, and thus started from a minute stage and gradually evolving.

Because once you enter "supernatural" cause you are doing religion not science, and there are alot of "religous theories" about creation. 

Have A Thinking Day May Reason Guide You  

Moderated by world citizen on Apr 15, 2011 - 11:24AM
HAVE A THINKING DAY MAY REASON GUIDE YOU
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2011 - 9:02PM #9
NATAS

On the lighter side of Evolution. 

www.jesusandmo.net/2011/03/30/apes/

Please note the image portraying Mo is a bodydouble. Please don't kill or threaten to kill the cartoonist. Please do not forward this to, Saudia Arabia, Palestine, Egypt, Pakistan, Indonesia,  Afghanistan, Syria, Great Britian, Holland, Bangledesh, or any country that there might not be a Muslim who is enligtened as you.  

Allah Protect My From Thy Psuedo Followers Who Have Hijacked True Islam

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 10, 2011 - 11:26PM #10
MMarcoe

If Islam and the Koran disagree with evolution, then Islam and the Koran are wrong.

We have tens of thousands of pieces of evidence and supporting documents that verify that evolution has occurred over long time spans.

Would it kill Muslims to concede that the Koran is wrong?

1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook