Switch to Forum Live View UUA Strategic Plan for Professional Ministries
4 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2011 - 2:16PM #1
Jupiter6208
What are your Thoughts?

www.uua.org/documents/mpl/110406_sppm.pd...
"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2011 - 4:57AM #2
DotNotInOz
Hmm. Most of that seemed to me to be the usual corporate analyzing everything to death instead of doing anything meaningful.

The only portion that gives me hope they're moving in a productive direction--maybe--is the final one, "Open Questions." There, some of the several issues that I've seen largely ignored or avoided in churches are at least mentioned.

One of the most notable was why people living near UU churches don't belong. That hints timidly at an issue that UU's are far too reluctant to confront--why we are so stubbornly resistant to talking up our faith and inviting people to come to our services.

I hope I'm wrong that this will turn out yet again to be a lot of lip service in lieu of meaningful change, because UU's had damn well better be changing some significant things. The denomination is all but on its last legs.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2011 - 6:52AM #3
Jupiter6208

You could be right i don't see how you can grow by doing nothing.

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2011 - 11:22AM #4
DotNotInOz
However, the central problem remains: How are you going to attract the financially and spiritually needy when the "message" of UUism is merely do-it-yourself? What happens to those at wit's end is that they go to churches that give them more assurance there is something larger than themselves to fall back upon when they can't go it alone.   

An auxiliary problem, IMO, is how allergic so many UU churches have become to including any mention of deities in services other than historical or educational references to other faiths. The last church I was a member of actually moved to dismiss an interim minister for quoting the Christian bible too much. The majority wanted no god talk of any substance. 

As long as much of UUism remains so adamantly no-deities-involved, I can't see it drawing many people other than those with pretty comfortable circumstances. 

Unfortunately, it seems to me based on my experience that few atheistic UU's are as willing to listen to respectful inclusion of deity-talk as this forum's J'Carlin. That so many are actively resistant to it means UU churches will remain as they are, largely useless for those seeking a foundation they can build upon but needn't construct from bedrock themselves.  
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2011 - 11:45AM #5
DotNotInOz
Yanno, I think RevD has identified on the UU support board what I see as a key problem in UUism--a lack of unity and harmony among all UU's. 

I've seen too much of that lack at the church level. UU's are so busy trying not to offend anyone and so touchy about including in services beliefs that they themselves don't hold that most services focus on non-spiritual issues like social justice causes or generically inspirational themes about as stimulating as a greeting card. 

Why did UU's become so thinskinned that they largely can't stand to listen to talk of beliefs they themselves don't hold? Isn't UUism supposed to be about exposure to a wide array of beliefs--every now and then something representative of beliefs a fellow UU may hold even though you don't? And yet, there are theists who don't want to hear anything about secular humanism, atheism or agnosticism, and the non-religious are highly resistant to god-talk in any but an oh-how-quaintly-historic sense.

How did UU's become so selfish? 
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2011 - 1:52PM #6
jamlawken

Aug 19, 2011 -- 11:45AM, DotNotInOz wrote:

How did UU's become so selfish? 

They decided that they were the only ones who had the right answers and did the right things. After 18 years I left UU to join UCC to be with folk who are humble about what they believe and do. As it says in Matthew 5:5 "Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth", where meek means humble. BTW I got in trouble at my former UU congregation for quoting from the Bible.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2011 - 2:43PM #7
DotNotInOz
Except, I think we're talking about UU selfishness on different levels, Jamlawken. 

Most denominations and sects of any faith operate from a "We're right, and everybody else isn't" basis. UU's haven't any monopoly on that.  

I'm speaking more about selfishness between UU's among themselves. 

Getting scolded for quoting the Christian bible would be part of that selfishness I allude to, definitely. "If I don't want to hear it, I don't want you to mention it no matter what you believe." So much for supporting and encouraging other UU's as they choose to pursue truth and meaning. 
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2011 - 3:45PM #8
jamlawken

Aug 19, 2011 -- 1:52PM, jamlawken wrote:

They decided that they were the only ones who had the right answers and did the right things.

"They" refers to individaual UUs about their own beliefs and actions, not to the UU denomination. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2011 - 3:57PM #9
DotNotInOz
Oh, sorry for misunderstanding.

When you mentioned UCC's being more humble, I mistakenly understood you to be comparing the two denominations. My wrong!!

Maybe I should try the UCC myself. Humility would be a stark contrast.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook