4 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2011 - 9:36PM #1
Jupiter6208
What is the story with the two? I have heard they have had a Rocky Relationship in the past  and what was it regarding.
"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2011 - 12:30PM #2
JCarlin

Apr 3, 2011 -- 9:36PM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

What is the story with the two? I have heard they have had a Rocky Relationship in the past  and what was it regarding.

I am not an expert or even a member anymore of either denomination.  I infrequently attend both when I can't find a friend to take me to a more traditional service.  As I see it there is little conflict.  Both denominations are trying to get to a liberal, inclusive, thoughtful community from different ends of the theology spectrum.  UU come from the Universalist tradition where all are saved if necessary, and God and Jesus are inspirational entities, with no special powers.  UCC comes from the traditional Christian viewpoint where God exists as a supernatural being, and Jesus is part of the Godhead.  In practice the only real difference is that if the mention of God offends you, you might find most UU Churches more comfortable.  If God and the traditional Christian ritual prayers don't offend you, you don't have to believe them to enjoy a UCC service, but it is considered bad form to shout BS instead of Amen. 

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2011 - 1:18PM #3
jamlawken

Apr 4, 2011 -- 12:30PM, JCarlin wrote:

Apr 3, 2011 -- 9:36PM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

UCC comes from the traditional Christian viewpoint where God exists as a supernatural being, and Jesus is part of the Godhead. 

Not correct. Few UCC folk believe in supernatural theism (to use Marcus Borg's term) and most believe in panentheism, a belief that God exists and interpenetrates every part of nature. I learned this upon joining UCC after being a UU for 18 years (my spouse remains a UU). One connection between UU and UCC is the Our Whole Lives sex education program which was written jointly by UUA and UCC. I teach OWL at the UU church and students from my UCC church are in the OWL classes. Another connection is the openness to GLBT folk (UU= Welcoming Congregation, UCC= Open and Affirming). I find it interesting that my UCC church has a higher percentage of GLBT members than my spouse's UU church, which I attribute to folk looking for a church that acknowledges God. The last connection is that UCC stands for "Unitarians considering Christ".

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2011 - 3:37PM #4
JCarlin

Apr 6, 2011 -- 1:18PM, jamlawken wrote:

The last connection is that UCC stands for "Unitarians considering Christ".

Gosh, all these years I thought they were chasing not just considering.

J'Carlin
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2011 - 3:48PM #5
JCarlin

Apr 6, 2011 -- 1:18PM, jamlawken wrote:

I teach OWL at the UU church and students from my UCC church are in the OWL classes.

Kudos for teaching OWL!!! One of the most important contributions one can make to the welfare of all children.  Those kids talk to their friends and the ripples or should I say waves spread far and wide. 

I was involved in the development of the UU "About your Sexuality" curriculum.  The OWL name was a stroke of genius.  Nothing like sexuality to get a parent into the full hostility mode. 

J'Carlin
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2011 - 10:33AM #6
Jupiter6208

I think i have come to believe that I concider myself a Christian(Small c) Universalist What is the History of this if any, i called the nearest UU near me and asked about it they told me they don't have a group but i would be welcomed anyway which i liked :) I never heard that from any Christian Church...

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2011 - 12:27PM #7
JCarlin

Well, UU has found room for Pentacostal Universalists, and one of the most famous UU ministers the late Forrest Church was a Universalist if not really Christian.  See his Cathedral of the World for a well thought out Universalist theology.  In a small church you might have to be the leader of the Universalist theology group but that is also a well established tradition in UU. 

Apr 7, 2011 -- 10:33AM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

I think i have come to believe that I concider myself a Christian Universalist What is the History of this if any,

J'Carlin
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2012 - 2:14AM #8
Kimrdhbsms

I think, historically, that Unitarians and UCC both came out of the line of liberal Puritans (yes, they had a liberal branch....) Universalism is a home-grown, American, version of Christianity that believes all reach salvation (eventually).  Some people say it disappeared because everyone came to believe it, and churches are to separate you from the non-believers.  Universalism was very popular at one time; the biggest denomination in the US.  Now it's very small and part of UU. 

I think it's sad that so many people don't want to believe in universal salvation -- they want to believe the people they don't like go to hell for eternity. 

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook