Page 1 of 28  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 28 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The date of Easter this year
3 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2011 - 4:59PM #1
stardustpilgrim
This year Easter is virtually the latest date it can possibly be.

Without looking it up, who knows (or doesn't know) how the date of Easter is arrived at each year?

(Hints: basis from Judaism; and, three different factors involved).

stardustpilgrim
The purpose of words is to convey ideas. When the ideas are grasped, the words are forgotten.
Where can I find a man who has forgotten words? He is the one I would like to talk to.
The Way of Chuang Tzu by Thomas Merton

A map is not the territory.                                                                 Alfred Korzybski

God is that function in the world by reason of which our purposes are directed to ends which in our own consciousness are impartial as to our own interests. He is that element in life in virtue of which judgment stretches beyond facts of existence to values of existence.      Alfred North Whitehead
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2011 - 5:30PM #2
Esdraelon

Mar 31, 2011 -- 4:59PM, stardustpilgrim wrote:

Without looking it up, who knows (or doesn't know) how the date of Easter is arrived at each year?

stardustpilgrim

Take the first day of spring, then find the first full moon occurring after that first day of spring. Easter will be set on the first Sunday after, or on, the date of that  first full moon.....weird, I know.

Per your hints, I don't know, but I got curious a long time ago as to why it was always different. Thought it curious that Jesus 'arose' all over the calendar....

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2011 - 6:05PM #3
bigbear6161
First Sunday after first full moon of spring.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2011 - 9:15PM #4
writingal1

And it's so "late" becsause of the "extra" month that shows up on the Jewish calendar every so often.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2011 - 9:23PM #5
Ed.W

LOL....  the Jewish Calendar controls the moon now.

Have you got anything I can sink my teeth into?
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2011 - 1:30PM #6
stardustpilgrim

I was also curious many years ago why Easter fell on a different date and/or week every year. And nobody I asked knew why either, which I also thought was curious. So I looked it up.

This year there was a full moon (on Saturday) the day before the first day of spring (on Sunday). So we barely missed the earliest possible Easter.

sdp

The purpose of words is to convey ideas. When the ideas are grasped, the words are forgotten.
Where can I find a man who has forgotten words? He is the one I would like to talk to.
The Way of Chuang Tzu by Thomas Merton

A map is not the territory.                                                                 Alfred Korzybski

God is that function in the world by reason of which our purposes are directed to ends which in our own consciousness are impartial as to our own interests. He is that element in life in virtue of which judgment stretches beyond facts of existence to values of existence.      Alfred North Whitehead
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2011 - 2:51PM #7
writingal1

Mar 31, 2011 -- 9:23PM, Ed.W wrote:

LOL....  the Jewish Calendar controls the moon now.

You just don't get along with facts--do you?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2011 - 2:59PM #8
Brainscramble

stardustpilgrim

The date of "Easter" was not important to the early Christians.  That would be the date of Jesus' resurrection.  What Jesus told them to celebrate was his DEATH. (Luke 22:19)  This would coincide with PASSOVER. 

The Jews reckoned the day as starting after sundown on Nisan 14 and ending the next day at sundown. (It would be in the evening after Nisan 13 concluded that the Passover would be observed.)

This year the "Lord's Supper" is to celebrated on April 17th, which harmonizes with Nisan 14.

To be factual, the world's "Easter" celebration would fall on Nisan 17th, or, April 20th.

It looks like both the Jews and Christendom have got the dates wrong this year.  They are both late.  Jehovah's Witnesses celebrate the Lord's death on time, on Nisan 14.  We are inviting everyone in the world to memorialize this event with us, on Apr.17.

I am interested in your thoughts.

Pam

Christian Witness of Jehovah, the God and Father of Christ and of us all.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2011 - 4:53PM #9
Bezant

stardustpilgrim

By a great deal of math, based on solar and lunar whatchamacalit.... I think it's always the first Sunday after Passover begins, if I'm not wrong, in the Western Church.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2011 - 4:54PM #10
Bezant

Mar 31, 2011 -- 9:15PM, writingal1 wrote:

And it's so "late" becsause of the "extra" month that shows up on the Jewish calendar every so often.

Yes, there were two Purims this year.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 28  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 28 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook