Page 12 of 13  •  Prev 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Is the Door Closed?
3 years ago  ::  Jun 06, 2011 - 6:14PM #111
johnacancienne

Jun 6, 2011 -- 5:58PM, Miguel_de_servet wrote:

wohali

"... all of this is supposed to be devastatingly hilarious, I suppose ..."

Only if one has a sense of humor..........

That you would be the arbiter of what sense of humor is, is quite funny, actually

No, its response to a silly-assed post.

Actually, several people responded.... perhaps you're being a little thin skinned? She said some stupid stuff.... She made some comments that were out of line and obviously got called down on it..... I mean she hasn't been back since making the post and it was removed along with a comment I made about it..... We didn't run her off, she did it to herself.

Which, just out of idle curiosity?

MdS

Just like I said.... she made some remarks and they were removed by the mods..... I don't remember them.... do you recall every post that was ever removed?

It isn't about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2011 - 10:05AM #112
Bunsinspace

BS"D

Point of information - no moderator will remove a post that expresses an opinion that the moderator or anybody else disagrees with.  Moderators will remove posts that violate the ROC that everybody agreed to abide by when they signed up. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2011 - 11:21AM #113
johnacancienne

Jun 7, 2011 -- 10:05AM, Bunsinspace wrote:

BS"D

Point of information - no moderator will remove a post that expresses  an opinion that the moderator or anybody else disagrees with.   Moderators will remove posts that violate the ROC that everybody agreed  to abide by when they signed up. 

I think Mario is aware of this; I know I am. I don't believe that was the point, however. I made a joke concerning Derowrs' absence, and a few others joined in. Mario took exception to it, and in his own childish way is trying to create guilty consciences where none exist.

It isn't about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2011 - 4:09PM #114
Miguel_de_servet

Point of information - no moderator will remove a post that expresses an opinion that the moderator or anybody else disagrees with.  Moderators will remove posts that violate the ROC that everybody agreed to abide by when they signed up.

This is what a German philosopher would refer to as idealtypische ...

MdS

Revelation is above, not against Reason

“The everlasting God is a refuge, and underneath you are his eternal arms ...” (Deut 33:27)
“Do you have an arm like God, and can you thunder with a voice like his?” (Job 40:9)
“By the Lord’s word [dabar] the heavens were made; and by the breath [ruwach] of his mouth all their host.” (Psalm 33:6)
“Who would have believed what we just heard? When was the arm of the Lord revealed through him?” (Isaiah 53:1)
“Lord, who has believed our message, and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?” (John 12:38)
“For not the hearers of the law are righteous before God, but the doers of the law will be declared righteous.” (Romans 2:13)

“Owe no one anything, except to love one another, for the one who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law.”(Romans 13:8)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2011 - 5:09PM #115
Bunsinspace

Jun 7, 2011 -- 4:09PM, Miguel_de_servet wrote:

MdS

BS"D

Max Weber was a sociologist, not a philosopher.  But as I (and others) enforce the "typical ideal" I will decide upon the practical versus the ideal.  And those who are dissatisfied may apply as moderator volunteers themselves with my blessings.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2011 - 5:40PM #116
johnacancienne

Jun 7, 2011 -- 4:09PM, Miguel_de_servet wrote:

MdS

Jun 7, 2011 -- 5:09PM, Bunsinspace wrote:

BS"D

Max Weber was a sociologist, not a philosopher.  But as I (and others) enforce the "typical ideal" I will decide upon the practical versus the ideal.  And those who are dissatisfied may apply as moderator volunteers themselves with my blessings.

I have been down the road of mod in the past, so I do my best not to criticize. In the event I ever do, feel free to recall this post and remind me. 'Nuff said...

Now Mario, just exactly is the definition of this term "idealtypische" I've gone through dictionary, as well as the thesaurus, and had no hits. Run your working definition past me, and let's see how it fits. Or more accurately, if it actually applies in this or any other case.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2011 - 5:50PM #117
Miguel_de_servet

Buns

Jun 7, 2011 -- 5:09PM, Bunsinspace wrote:

First, while Max Weber used extensively the word idealtypische and the relative conceptual category, he certainly did NOT invent it, but derived it from German Idealism.

Second, thanks for the advice ...

MdS

Revelation is above, not against Reason

“The everlasting God is a refuge, and underneath you are his eternal arms ...” (Deut 33:27)
“Do you have an arm like God, and can you thunder with a voice like his?” (Job 40:9)
“By the Lord’s word [dabar] the heavens were made; and by the breath [ruwach] of his mouth all their host.” (Psalm 33:6)
“Who would have believed what we just heard? When was the arm of the Lord revealed through him?” (Isaiah 53:1)
“Lord, who has believed our message, and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?” (John 12:38)
“For not the hearers of the law are righteous before God, but the doers of the law will be declared righteous.” (Romans 2:13)

“Owe no one anything, except to love one another, for the one who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law.”(Romans 13:8)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2011 - 5:57PM #118
johnacancienne

Jun 7, 2011 -- 5:50PM, Miguel_de_servet wrote:

First, while Max Weber used extensively the word idealtypische and the relative conceptual category, he certainly did NOT invent it, but derived it from German Idealism.

I thought as much. The closest I could come to was idealized. Now if you would be so kind, apply that loose translation to this particular concern you have. I'd be quite interested to see why you chose that term for this situation.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2011 - 7:45PM #119
Bunsinspace

Jun 7, 2011 -- 5:50PM, Miguel_de_servet wrote:

... while Max Weber used extensively the word idealtypische and the relative conceptual category, he certainly did NOT invent it, but derived it from German Idealism.

BS"D

While I have no clue as to what you mean by "relative conceptual category," Max Weber did indeed "invent" the word.  The two separate words were obviously already extant in the vocabulary but he penned this technical term in his "Economy and Society."  I'll grant you the individual terms used together in a general sentence are indeed derived from "German idealism."  Not so with the term you used.  And I, too, would like to know what you meant by using this term as it seems to have absolutely no application here in its compound form. If you had, rather, posted "typische ideal," (English translation: "ideal type")  it would have made sense.  Is that what you meant?  If so what is so hard about posting something clearer in English like, "More honour'd in the breach than the observance?"  - Shakespeare's HAMLET.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2011 - 8:24PM #120
wohali

Mario:

"That you would be the arbiter of what sense of humor is, is quite funny, actually."

So, making an offhand comment makes me the "arbiter"? Dear fellow, a smart-assed comment is nothing more than that.

Which, just out of idle curiosity?

Post #84, and I guess you could throw post #86 in there too.

Interesting that you chose to jump in when you don't know what is being said.............

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 12 of 13  •  Prev 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook