Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View open challenge to Zakir Naik re mountains and Dr Frank Press
3 years ago  ::  Mar 23, 2011 - 9:06AM #1
turner_chris1

In the Mountains - do they stabilise, I have pointed out a statement by Zakir Naik, that an American textbook contains the words, or something like them

"The function of the mountains is to stabilise the earth"

A small point you might think but to some of us  its an obsession!

Entertaining though Naik is (I do like the 100 rupee challenge to Christians), he does push it abit sometimes in particular

Does the book "Earth" by  Dr Frank Press and Raymond Siever, contain those words, because having spent £2.81 and searching - I CANT FIND THEM.

So I have sent this message to his website
-------------------------------------------

Dear Dr Naik

I have watched on Youtube
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQu7FznVOvI
part of your debate with Willaim Campbell in 2000, in particular your first speech where you deal with the role of Mountains at about 2:45 minutes onwards. 

You claimed that some geologists (not all) support yor views, in particular, you stated that Dr Frank Press in his book "Earth" says (thats the word you used, "says") "the function of the mountains is to stabilise the earth". 

I have a copy of that book, and I can find no such statement, nor anything close. If it is there, perhaps you can point out the page or paragraph to me?

If the book does not contain such a statement, perhaps you can offer some explanation for your words in that debate, particularly given the mocking challenge you made to Dr Campbell to find a similar quotation in a book, when he actually had a letter from a geologist supporting his views.
---------------------------------------
Do you think I'll get an answer?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 23, 2011 - 11:27AM #2
BDboy

Mar 23, 2011 -- 9:06AM, turner_chris1 wrote:

In the Mountains - do they stabilise, I have pointed out a statement by Zakir Naik, that an American textbook contains the words, or something like them

"The function of the mountains is to stabilise the earth"

A small point you might think but to some of us  its an obsession!

Entertaining though Naik is (I do like the 100 rupee challenge to Christians), he does push it abit sometimes in particular

Does the book "Earth" by  Dr Frank Press and Raymond Siever, contain those words, because haing spent £2.81 and searching - I CANT FIND THEM.

So I have sent this message to his website
-------------------------------------------

Dear Dr Naik

I have watched on Youtube
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQu7FznVOvI
part of your debate with Willaim Campbell in 2000, in particular your first speech where you deal with the role of Mountains at about 2:45 minutes onwards. 

You claimed that some geologists (not all) support yor views, in particular, you stated that Dr Frank Press in his book "Earth" says (thats the word you used, "says") "the function of the mountains is to stabilise the earth". 

I have a copy of that book, and I can find no such statement, nor anything close. If it is there, perhaps you can point out the page or paragraph to me?

If the book does not contain such a statement, perhaps you can offer some explanation for your words in that debate, particularly given the mocking challenge you made to Dr Campbell to find a similar quotation in a book, when he actually had a letter from a geologist supporting his views.
---------------------------------------
Do you think I'll get an answer?

>>>>>>>> You have to wait and see if Dr. Naik replies or not. I do not see any wisdom asking us about what Dr. Naik may do in future. Having said that, you may want to click here as it speaks about the "Mountain issue" you discussed here. Besides no one will deny that, mountains under earth does look like pegs as described in the Qur'an.

Since I do not have a copy of the book, I cannot answer you on that. If anyone followed discussion between Dr. Campbell and Dr. Naik, I do not think anyone [ With an unbiased mind] will have any doubts left in them about where Science, Qur'an and the Bible stands. In the last link I have provided the WHOLE discussion for readers, feel free to make up your mind after watching how it went.

Often cut and paste words can mislead people with wrong understanding, so it is only fair to share the whole thing with readers.

If anyone cares for a detailed answer to this issue, you may click here [ explanation with pictures etc]

quranandscience.com/earth/231-the-mounta...

Peace.

Peace.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 23, 2011 - 3:55PM #3
turner_chris1

if you are not sure what Naik said - then a text version is here. 

You have to go right to the end past all the video clips

here is what Naik  said according to that website

"The Geologists  today, do say that the mountains give stability to the Earth - Not all  Geologists, but many do say. I have not come across a single Geological book,  and I challenge Dr. William Campbell to produce a single Geological book - Not  his personal correspondence with the Geologist. That does not carry weight. His  personal correspondence with Dr. Keith Moore …. Documented proof. And if you  read the book ‘The Earth’ which is referred by almost all the universities, in  the field of Geology, one of its authors by the name of Dr Frank Press, who was  the advisor to the former president of USA, Jimmy Carter, and was the president  of the Academy of Science of USA. He writes in his book that…‘The mountains are  wedge shaped - It  has deep roots within. And he says that…‘The function of the  mountain is to stabilize the earth.’"

I would like to see where Press says "it has deep roots within", -within what - terrible english.

If you don't have the book, well that's what I think Naik was relying on - most people who listen to him wont have the book, they wont check it up.

As for Campbell's performance - well I'm glad I'm not a Christian, 100 rupees anyone !

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 29, 2011 - 5:24AM #4
turner_chris1

and he is still doing it

www.ediscoverislam.com/Quran-Islam-and-S...

The word awtad means stakes or pegs (like those used to anchor a  tent); they are the deep foundations of geological folds. A book named  ‘Earth’ is considered as a basic reference textbook on geology in many  universities around the world. One of the authors of this book is Frank  Press, who was the President of the Academy of Sciences in the USA for  12 years and was the Science Advisor to former US President Jimmy  Carter. In this book he illustrates the mountain in a wedge-shape and  the mountain itself as a small part of the whole, whose root is deeply  entrenched in the ground. [Earth, Press and Siever, p. 435. Also see Earth Science,  Tarbuck and Lutgens, p. 157] According to Dr. Press, the mountains play  an important role in stabilizing the crust of the earth.

WHERE DOES HE SAY THAT? ITS NOT ON PAGE 435 where is it ?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 30, 2011 - 6:48AM #5
turner_chris1

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRAoFRreZK4

Unforetunalty the audio on the Patton clip is abit quiet, he says

"Rommel, you magnificent b%^&%&d I READ YOUR BOOK.!"

NAIK - we read the book -!!!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 30, 2011 - 1:36PM #6
BDboy

We had a pretty good size thread on "Mountains" here. Read it and make up your mind. I think this issue has been discussed enough here. People are FREE to read them and make up their minds.

Dr. Naik presented MANY scientific points in the Qur'an. If you are unsure about explanation given about mountains, you can check out the rest of the points.

Shalom.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2011 - 4:16PM #7
turner_chris1

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhQuUSNkxRM

someone made this response.

Frank Press' book says that mountains have underlying roots [p. 435].  These roots are deeply embedded in the ground. So mountains have a  shape like a peg as is seen in an example on page 220 in the same book.  Another illustration shows how the mountains are peg-like in shape, due  to their deep roots [p. 158].

not in my copy of "Earth"  - 3rd edition 1982 (page 220 doesnt have any drawings, page 158 is about rivers and sediments ) P425c does have a drawing with a very simplistic genralised diagram of a continent with general thickening under the mountainous bit.

for a readable copy see

imageshack.us/photo/my-images/41/p158.jp...

imageshack.us/photo/my-images/29/p220.jp...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2011 - 4:29PM #8
turner_chris1

easier link to see pages

imgur.com/a/8Ftym

and it should hav ebeen page 435 above

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 09, 2011 - 8:57AM #9
Abdullah.

you seem to be hung up big time on a minor technicality;  Dr Naik says that it says this in that book but it dont say exactly that, it only says this!

big deal, this is not the real issue hereLaughing  

the real issue is, the theory backs up the Quranic assertions

thats all we need to know!

Peace! Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 10, 2011 - 3:02PM #10
turner_chris1

it doesnt say anything like what he say it does - show me where if I'm wrong 

it doesnt support anything that people think is supposidly in the Koran 

Quick Reply
Cancel