Post Reply
Page 3 of 19  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Off Topic/Hijack Response Thread.
3 years ago  ::  May 06, 2011 - 11:11AM #21
teilhard
Posts: 51,068

Exactly so ...


"To Each Her/His Own ... " ...


May 5, 2011 -- 4:22PM, JCarlin wrote:


I see it has been too long since this thread has been BTT. 

May 5, 2011 -- 1:27PM, teilhard wrote:

So ... ???


One of my Life Passions is collecting Rocks, Gems, Minerals, and Fossils ...


MANY People do NOT ...


So what ... ???



May 5, 2011 -- 1:14PM, JCarlin wrote:

 they can basically put all preachers in the useless nutcase category and go on about their business. 


I guess rock and stamp collectors could fit into the same category. That is totally irrelevant for atheists unless they happened to like that kind of thing.  Not liking it has no implications whatsoever. 





Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 08, 2011 - 4:19PM #22
JCarlin
Posts: 6,625

Nor those who in the words of that Star Trek guy "We Reach" for anything to avoid dealing with the topic of the thread. 


May 8, 2011 -- 3:59PM, teilhard wrote:

And we ought not forget "The Bay of Fundy," famous for its astonishing Tides ...


J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 24, 2011 - 2:39PM #23
JCarlin
Posts: 6,625

Since you don't know an atheist's perspective any better than you know your unknowable and numinous God,  I would  appreciate your keeping your idiotic straw man posts on the idiot  threads rather than a serious discussion thread. 


I clearly stated that there is a human spirit and defined it carefully as basic to being human.  It is so basic that it along with spiritual expreiences are the first things hijacked by shamans, priests, preachers, and vuvuzelas to attribute to some godling or God.  They then trivialize it to the service of that godling or God.  "See that beautiful spiritual rainbow over there?  That is God's promise that he won't ever wipe out all life on earth ever again.  See how wonderful God is?" 


Spiritual experiences are of course synaptic activity in the high level reward areas of the brain.  They evolved to reward humans for discovering truth, beauty and the mores of the tribe.  They can be hijacked by drugs and Gods to distract the human from behaviors that should properly stimulate them.  "Religion is the opiate of the people" 


Humans are highly evolved social animals that are acutely aware of the fact that life ends with death.  They created a complex and sophisticated symbolic communication system to insure that what they learn is able to be passed on to the rest of the tribe.  Songs and stories around a campfire or other community gathering are the vehicles for communicating this wisdom.  As usual shamans, priests, preachers, and vuvuzelas hijacked this human longing to get what they have learned into the tribal myths, and in effect said don't waste your time.  Just be nice to us and we can insure that God will have some nice pie for you after you die.  No, you can't taste it now, you have to die first, but trust God and you will find it. 


 


May 24, 2011 -- 1:53PM, Aka_me wrote:

I don't follow you...


no, there is no such thing as "human spirit"?


or yes, there is such thing as "human spirit"?


same for "spiritual experiences"?


(from an atheist's perspective) if you think "spiritual experiences"  CAN happen.. then these would be nothing more than synaptic activity,  comparible to an LSD trip.


(from an atheist's perspective) humans are "hairless chimps". who  feed-fight-flee-fornicate for a period of time and then die, leaving  nothing behind (following their offspring's offspring having passed  away) to indicate they ever existed.  any notion that humans ARE more  than feeding-fighting-fleeing-fornicating hairless chimps requires an  explanation of how and why.


J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 24, 2011 - 2:42PM #24
JCarlin
Posts: 6,625

The  problem is that you would never say the sky was blue or that water was  wet.  It would be something like the sky is blue proves God exists.  Or  God made the water wet because He loves all of His aquadic creatures.


Validity  here is determined by whether the poster is able to see throuh the  apologist BS.  It isn't hard even a Christian can do it. 


May 24, 2011 -- 1:20PM, CaliberCadillac wrote:

It doesnt really matter anyway.  If I said the sky was blue, or that water was wet you would disagree. 


Validity  here is first decided by whether or not a poster is an atheist.  All  else is secondary.  Yeah, its that freakin transparent.


J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 24, 2011 - 2:50PM #25
JCarlin
Posts: 6,625

You never said the sky is blue or water is wet either.  So no one did or would disagree with them. 


As to validity, neither an atheist or apologist has any at all.  But it wasn't me who brought up validity as an attribute of atheism.  Please note I said that validity is determined by the ability to see through BS.  It is just that apologists sling as much as anybody.   


May 24, 2011 -- 2:42PM, CaliberCadillac wrote:

May 24, 2011 -- 1:55PM, JCarlin wrote:

The  problem is that you would never say the sky was blue or that water was  wet.  It would be something like the sky is blue proves God exists.  Or  God made the water wet because He loves all of His aquadic creatures.


Validity  here is determined by whether the poster is able to see through the  apologist BS.  It isn't hard even a Christian can do it.



No I  wouldn’t.  I have never used anything even remotely looking like those  arguments.  For you to say that I would, (or do), is strawman, utterly  dishonest, and personally insulting. 


Furthermore, whether or not one is considered by himself or others to an apologist is nothing but an ad hominem retort that does nothing to address whether or not said apologist's arguments have any validity.


J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 25, 2011 - 1:05AM #26
JCarlin
Posts: 6,625

May 25, 2011 -- 12:47AM, CaliberCadillac wrote:

Hmm. 2 hours and no bites.  I guess they preferred the hijacked version.



Yeah, mental masturbation beats thinking every time.  So go and enjoy it.  Don't bother to come back. 

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2011 - 4:27AM #27
JCarlin
Posts: 6,625

As clearly noted and apologized for it was a mistake.  You may be sure that your worthless opinion on any topic would not be intentionally sought out by trying to avoid your ignore file.  I am quite happy there.  Thank you for your inattention.


Jun 19, 2011 -- 10:15PM, mountain_man wrote:

Note to Dave: You can ignore posts that you don't wish to  reply to simply by not reading them. 


I shouldn't have to . You should do what's right and not try to get  around the ignore list. just because you are a "host."


J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2011 - 1:52PM #28
JCarlin
Posts: 6,625

Try Google Chrome browser it seems to be immune to pop-ups.


Jun 20, 2011 -- 12:12PM, christine3 wrote:

Are you talking about the Lemonade ad with the bouncing beach ball? It has actually cut me off from my post and I had to retype. Once it diverted me to Facebook, of which I am not even a member!




J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2011 - 1:15AM #29
CaliberCadillac
Posts: 2,867

May 24, 2011 -- 2:42PM, JCarlin wrote:


May 24, 2011 -- 1:20PM, CaliberCadillac wrote:

It doesnt really matter anyway.  If I said the sky was blue, or that water was wet you would disagree. 


Validity   here is first decided by whether or not a poster is an atheist.  All   else is secondary.  Yeah, its that freakin transparent.



The  problem is that you would never say the sky was blue or that water was  wet.  It would be something like the sky is blue proves God exists.  Or  God made the water wet because He loves all of His aquadic creatures.


Validity  here is determined by whether the poster is able to see throuh the  apologist BS.  It isn't hard even a Christian can do it. 




That maybe your biggest problem.  You see validity is a very specific term in logic which means it is necessary that, if the premises are true, then the conclusion is true.  It has nothing to do with some delusion you have that apologists are liars.  

"Sometimes you gotta step into the ring and throw a few punches for what you believe in."

--Ernest Hemingway--
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2011 - 1:01PM #30
JCarlin
Posts: 6,625

Stipulated.  It becomes necessary to examine the premises for truth or falsity.  In general apologist premises are frequently false.  Not necessarily because they lie, but they frequently use arguments they don't understand well and make errors that cause the premises to be false.  A classic case is the argument from thermodynamics.  It is uniformly misused by apologists and creationists. Which causes all premises based on it to be false. 


Jun 21, 2011 -- 1:15AM, CaliberCadillac wrote:

That maybe your biggest problem.  You see validity is a very specific term in logic which means it is necessary that, if the premises are true, then the conclusion is true.  It has nothing to do with some delusion you have that apologists are liars. 




J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 19  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook