Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Is Christian Yoga really Yoga?
4 years ago  ::  Jan 09, 2011 - 1:21PM #11
Youarethat

Bhima,

I agree with you 1000 %!

Peace

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2011 - 2:27PM #12
Abambagibus

Hello :  

The temporal lapse between the last posting to this thread and this posting causes me to wonder if I am writing these words to the ultimate emptiness of matter, or simply to myself in a maze of words.  But, because I don’t come to this site very often, the fault is surely mine.   

Between the two elements, one being the Theism of Christianity and the other being the Advaita mindset of the majority of yogis, lies a gap, more intellectual than actual, to which an overly analytical someone has erroneously ascribed an unbridgeability built on the fallacy that these elements, which must first be compared in order to be bridged, cannot be compared by dint of their mutual incomparability.   From what may very well be a comparably greater knowledge of Christianity in form more so than in substance, he seems to have inferred a necessarily dualistic Theism, in contradistinction to the non-dualistic perspective of Advaita Hinduism.  In contradistinction, however, to the overly many Christians who ‘formally’ perceive a dualistic conception of their faith, there are the fewer than overly many who ‘substantially’ perceive a non-dualistic conception of an ultimate end in which all are absorbed into the Godhead.  We are to realize, they believe, that, as we are in Christ who is perpetually and infinitely in and of God, the one and true Spirit of our universe, so we too are perpetually and infinitely in and of the ultimate One, unbridgeable tho it may seem.     

Since in its intellectualism Advaita focuses on knowledge, it is the Yoga of Knowledge, Jñana Yoga, which suits it best.  But, because intellect without affect is an empty container, a bit of singular devotion to the referent of its intellectually constructed metaphor is surely needed.  Otherwise the gap  between meditant and meditation remains incomparably unbridgeable.  A computer can be a well of intellect.  But it ain’t got no feelin’, no spirit beyond the confines of its matter. 

For the Advaita yogi, Bhakti Yoga, the Yoga of devotion, can therefore be ancillary to the method of Jñana, ... while, for the Christian yogi, who focuses on the unending compassion of the ‘Holy Ghost’, this duality of Yogas is a methodic singularity.   Knowledge in devotion, devotion in knowledge, this is the means, at least for them.   And let us not forget that Yoga, the word, can be traced to an etymon whose core denotation is ‘Union’.  Union with what?   Union with the universal Oneness of it all of course.   

Of Christians, … as there are those, few though they be, who ‘drive’ the vehicle of Buddhism toward the goal of their faith, so there are those, perhaps too few, who employ Yoga toward the same end.  The only unbridgeable here is the wall of analysis in the act of breaking all of it down until broken.   But this too is merely a perspective, as are they all.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2011 - 9:17PM #13
gangajal
An interesting perspective! I would think that very few Christians would have such non dual
perspective.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2011 - 9:29PM #14

Dec 13, 2010 -- 11:17AM, gangajal wrote:

Is Christian Yoga really Yoga? There is an excellent article by Rajiv Malhotra about this.

www.huffingtonpost.com/rajiv-malhotra/hindu-view-of-christian-yoga_b_778501.html´╗┐

What do you all think?

As a Christian I say ...NO. 

Christians should not practice Yoga in the true "spiritual form".  Why?  It contradict their beliefs. 

How?

Simple, Christianity is a belief in forgiveness.  Grace.  You can't earn salvation.  There is no Karma to work off.  Christianity says you live once, die, then are judged.  You are not reincarnated. 

Now I as a Christian have done "Yoga" ...we called it "Power Yoga"  Basically it was an exercise.  Nothing more ...nothing less...did the down dog.  

Well you asked..so that's what I think. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2011 - 3:06AM #15
Jm8

> It contradict their beliefs.

Only in case of the advaita-based yoga.

> Simple, Christianity is a belief in forgiveness.  Grace.  You can't earn salvation.  There is no Karma to work off. 

This is the abc of bhakti yoga.

> Christianity says you live once, die, then are judged.  You are not reincarnated.

A lot has been written on this.

Judgement and reincarnation aren't contradictory in Vedic scriptures; judgement is omitted only in the New Age version of reincarnation. Details on death with references:

www.veda.harekrsna.cz/encyclopedia/dying...

yadA tadA yathA tathA tathaiva kRSNasatkathA
mayA sadaiva gIyatAM tathA kRpA vidhIyatAM
pramANikASTakadvayaM japatyadhItya yaH pumAn
bhavet sa nandanandane bhave bhave subhaktimAn |9|

O Lord Krishna! Please bless me so that I may sing your glories and pastimes, regardless of the position I am in. Anyone who studies or recites these two authoritative ashtakas will be blessed with devotion to Krishna in every rebirth. (Adi Sankaracarya, Krsnastaka)

Hope this helps. Hare Krsna
Your servant, bh. Jan

www.vrindavan-dham.com
www.veda.harekrsna.cz

dvaitaM bandhAya mokSAt prAk prApte bodhe manISayA
bhaktyarthaM kalpitam dvaitaM advaitAd api sundaram

"Duality is bondage before moksa and wisdom after realization. The duality accepted for the purpose of bhakti is sweeter than even non-duality." (from mangalacarana to Advaitasiddhi sara sangraha by Madhusudana Sarasvati, former advaitin)

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2011 - 4:42PM #16
williejhonlo

In my opinion, all theist religions are based on yoga. Yoga means too link up, or commune with God. There is no difference between Yoga and prayer because they are both based on connecting or establishing a relationship with God on a spirtual level.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook