Switch to Forum Live View My take on your religion
4 years ago  ::  Dec 12, 2010 - 4:49PM #1
Wayne

So in essence Unitarian Universalism is a church and/or religion that unifies many believers from different faiths into one religion?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2010 - 10:16AM #2
JCarlin

It can be, but generally UUs consider themselves to be in a process of creating a faith for themselves built on the 7 principles (social guidelines) and a spirituality and God belief (or none) brought from youthful indoctrination either as a UU or in another faith.  UUs are generally tolerant of most views of God and spirituality and treat them as opportunities for growth and learning about one's own relationship with God and spirituality. 

UU Churches are usually communities of well educated, thoughtful people who actively seek out opportunities for outreach to others who might benefit from such a community. 

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 14, 2010 - 5:42PM #3
rideronthastorm

And many UUs have a primary religion,my UU is primarily Pagan. we hold beliefs in many Gods not just one.But we have thos eof many different religions but we are mostly Pagan.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2011 - 10:50AM #4
uufreespirit
I like the description of UU as being "beyond belief," (which is the topic of a talk by UUA President Morales).  What draws us together is really not a commonality of "belief," but more of a shared attitude or methodology.  Whatever beliefs we do find along our way (as diverse individuals, constantly comparing notes with, and inspiring, one another), I think our approach to religion is best defined by how we arrive at our beliefs,  how tightly (or dogmatically) we hold them, and how they inform and motivate us in the ways that we treat one another, ourselves and the world around us -- than what those beliefs actually are.  (If the name hadn't already been taken, I'd say that "methodists" might be a fitting title for UU and its "questing, questioning and stubbornly protestant" approach to religion.)  

So, I'd suggest that the core of our liberal faith is far more attitudinal, process-oriented and ethically-centered than doctrinal or dogma-driven.  In our approach to matters of religion...of ultimate truths, ethical priorities, and the care and feeding of a healthy conscience...we entrust every seeker with the right and responsibility to think for themselves...to ask their own questions, to seek their own best answers, even to express their own honest doubts...in other words, to "fill in the blanks" of belief and theological/ cosmological opinion for themselves, without fear of ridicule or condemnation.  It's an expression of both mutual respect and mutual expectation.   We all realize that these "personal journeys" never happen in a complete vacuum, and a supportive community of kindred seekers and doers is therefore essential to us.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2011 - 3:10PM #5
WoodsWalker3

Hi uufreespirit.  Love your description of UUs.   After years of searching and rejecting nearly every religion that seemed appealing, I went to our local UU church and believe I've found my spiritual home. 

When I asked for guidance as to the core beliefs of UU, I was given a book or two and invited to join a class called "Create Your Own Theology."    This concept: that we are responsible for creating our own theology within the framework of the guiding principals of the church, has been life-changing.   I'm still learning, but absolutely love the people in my congregation.  It is liberating to be in the company of like-minded people, a part of the "beloved community."  In other words, it's great to be "home." 

Thanks for your insightful post.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2011 - 1:52PM #6
Nonchristianheaven

I have no religion at all. So technically I am not allowed on any forum in Beliefnet, just for not having a religion. Wow. I got in trouble for talking to Atheists, okay. That is fine. 

I am not UU but I have been to the meetings and loved the freedom to form your own opinion. It was nice to not have to follow a dogma.

So, if I offended you all by saying that...well, then I don't know what to say.

I really loved going to Uu.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2011 - 2:26PM #7
Jcarlinbn

You might find the UU community forum comfortable.  UU's don't care much about religion or lack thereof.  UU's say you don't convert to UU you simply discover that you are one.   No trouble on the A&SP forum either.  Or you can jump in with both feet and argue with everybody on the Discuss Atheism forum.  Not too much to debate here.  UU's generally just don't care.  

Mar 31, 2011 -- 1:52PM, Nonchristianheaven wrote:

I have no religion at all. So technically I am not allowed on any forum in Beliefnet, just for not having a religion. Wow. I got in trouble for talking to Atheists, okay. That is fine. 

I am not UU but I have been to the meetings and loved the freedom to form your own opinion. It was nice to not have to follow a dogma.

So, if I offended you all by saying that...well, then I don't know what to say.

I really loved going to Uu.

Jcarlinbn, community moderator
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2011 - 10:40AM #8
Jupiter6208

Dec 13, 2010 -- 10:16AM, JCarlin wrote:

It can be, but generally UUs consider themselves to be in a process of creating a faith for themselves built on the 7 principles (social guidelines) and a spirituality and God belief (or none) brought from youthful indoctrination either as a UU or in another faith.  UUs are generally tolerant of most views of God and spirituality and treat them as opportunities for growth and learning about one's own relationship with God and spirituality. 

UU Churches are usually communities of well educated, thoughtful people who actively seek out opportunities for outreach to others who might benefit from such a community. 

That is a great Description.

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook