Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Locked: Which love is greater, the love of a father who sacrifices his son or the love of a mother who...
4 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2010 - 3:02PM #1
dio

Which love is greater, the love of a father who sacrifices his son or the love of a mother who sacrifices herself for the sake of her child?

I think the greater love is with the one who sacrifices herself. How does the sacrifice of his son show a greater love?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2010 - 3:11PM #2
Xristocharis

How about the love of someone who lays down their life for His friends?

-Jon

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." - Dom Hélder Câmara
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2010 - 3:24PM #3
Thomas A Quinas

Oct 31, 2010 -- 3:02PM, dio wrote:

Which love is greater, the love of a father who sacrifices his son or the love of a mother who sacrifices herself for the sake of her child?

I think the greater love is with the one who sacrifices herself. How does the sacrifice of his son show a greater love?

Most parents would gladly sacrifice their own life to preserve the life of their child.  Therefore, the life of a son (or daughter) is more valuable in their eyes (and hence a larger sacrifice).

"He who loves gives, gives life, gives of himself to God and to others. Instead he who does not love, who is selfish, always looks to receive, always looks to have things, to have advantages. Remain with an open heart...remain in God and God remains in us; remain in love." -- His Holiness Pope Francis
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2010 - 4:27PM #4
Greatest I am

Oct 31, 2010 -- 3:24PM, Thomas A Quinas wrote:

Most parents would gladly sacrifice their own life to preserve the life of their child.  Therefore, the life of a son (or daughter) is more valuable in their eyes (and hence a larger sacrifice).

If on earth as it is in heaven is to apply then God sacrificing His son was immoral by human standards that prefer that sons bury their parents and not the other way around as the unjust God seems to have done.

It is a good thing that the Bible is just a book of myths or we would have to believe that God is a real self centered S O B  that no good man would emulate.

Regards

DL

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2010 - 4:30PM #5
Greatest I am

Oct 31, 2010 -- 3:11PM, Xristocharis wrote:

How about the love of someone who lays down their life for His friends?

-Jon

That is said to be quite noble but from the God and Jesus point of view, God is the one who places the friends in danger and then send his son to die for them just to make him our hero.

That is far from noble. In fact it is quite stupid of God to set up such a scenario.

Regards

DL

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2010 - 9:09AM #6
Adelphe

Wow, never really looked at it that way before--you are, of course, exactly right.

Thanks for this!  Adds a fresh, new perspective to meditate on I hadn't considered before!

Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason, my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not retract anything, for to go against conscience would be neither right nor safe.  Here I stand.  I can do no other.  God help me.  Amen.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2010 - 9:43AM #7
mindspeech

If I had to put myself in each situation I would say that sacrificing myself (mother) for my children or anything else shows a greater love. If I had to prove my love for someone/something by murdering/harming (sacrificing) an innocent soul...then I should evaluate who it is I love.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2010 - 9:55AM #8
mindspeech

I think that this may be a response to which is the greatest sacrifice instead of which is a greater love. Intersting perspective though.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2010 - 10:52AM #9
dio

Yes that's the reasoning which was used in Canaanite religion. Jesus blood was real human blood, not mythological blood. Mythological gods need human blood shed, not the real God.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2010 - 11:06AM #10
Ed.W

LOL .... It only took 9 posts  to get there

‘Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.’ --Lao Tzu
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook