Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The Passionate Pickler
4 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2010 - 6:11PM #1
rocketjsquirell

No not the passion of the pickle. Smile

Now this is an article of great Jewish importance!

Traditional  Ashkenazi cuisine without fermented foods would be unrecognizable, not  to mention less tangy. Latkes would be served without sour cream, and  with no corned beef or sauerkraut, a deli sandwich at Katz’s would be  nothing more than two vacant pieces of rye toast, unaccompanied by a  sour pickle no less.  Passover seders would have no wine, and without  yeast, we’d be stuck with the bread of affliction all 353 to 385 days a  (Jewish) year.

Read more: blogs.forward.com/the-jew-and-the-carrot...

The thought of matza everyday, year in and year out without even a sip of wine is enough to put the fear of something or other in even the strongest man.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2010 - 1:26AM #2
Yavanna

My wife is obsessed with Sephardic and Israeli cuisine, but I still find Ashkenazi foods fascinating on a cultural level. My taste-buds on the other hand, are decidedly non-Jewish. Laughing

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2010 - 6:22AM #3
river8101

Rocket,

As to your post on food, I just finished reading Julia Child; My Life  in France.  Wonderful book, couldn't put it down, though I can't speak a  word of French, and I think French food sounds yummy, it also sounds too rich for my blood.  All those sauces!   My favorite foods are Italian.  Though I did like  the Jewish food my mom and nanny cooked. (Both southerners)  She didn't leave me any recipes  for some of my favorites.  There was one with potato latkee type balls  roasted around some delicious brisket and tzimmis that was out of this world. So yummy, but I don't know how she  made it.  At the time, I wasn't interested in learning how to cook.  For some holidays we are lucky to have a gourmet store that sells  delicious Latkees. Because I live in a large Jewish neighborhood, we  have to put in orders days a head of time.  Tim used to try and  make them, but they always sort of fell apart.  But, he makes delicious  matzah ball soup.  The balls are so light you could fly away on them!  

PS  I don't eat latkees with sour cream.  I eat them with apple sauce.  Also don't eat corn beef with sour crout.  Just mustard and a pickle.   (At least not mayonaise!) God forbid.   Is that weird or just Baltimore?  Actually, I'm not too big on sour cream or sour crout.  That's because I'm such a sweet person!!

Go  Phillies!   (Next year, it will be go O's!)  Finally got a new and  experienced manager almost 2 months ago, has done wonders!  We've been  winning alot!    Showalter used to manage the Yankees and the Rangers and brought  them to first place when they were failing.   Anyway, he's great!   Now  if only he can convince Angelos to spend more money, (he's very rich)   (but a skin flint when it comes to baseball)  But since Showalter stated managing the team back in August, we've done great!  "We could even be a contender!   Wait ....  wasn't that phrase stolen from a  movie, sort of...  But, next year, if we get the right FA's and Angelos pays his, uh, dues, we might be!

I won't mention the Colts ... oops I meant  the Ravens.  (Our real name was stolen)  But anyway, they're doing  great.  I just don't care that much for football.  But since they're in first place, I'll have to try  harder!

PS  The only way my dogs will take their pills is in chopped liver.  Trouble is, I eat it along with them.  Yummy.

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2010 - 12:09PM #4
rocketjsquirell

Riv

French food is great and it really is not hard to prepare. I have all of Julia Childs' Cook Books and dozens of others. (My wife collects cook books). Some recipes need to be adjusted to make the dishes kosher, but that is easy once you know what you are doing. (Jeffery Nathans has a lot of great cook books which make changes for you). French cuisine doesn't have to be heavy either, Provencal cuisine is quite light. 

The Phillies are doing great so far. I haven't been focusing on the AL becuase the O's aren't in it. (Still have residual affection for the O's from College)

You eat latkes with apple sauce because you are a normal person. Actually it is probably because you are either a Litvak or a Yekki (Jews from modern Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, and parts of Russia and Jews from Germany). Only Glitsianers (Jews from Poland) eat latkes with sour cream. Of course now that we are all here in the U.S.A. people eat everything with everything.

I eat corned beef by itself on rye with mustard, hot with sour kraut (liberty cabbage), hot with potatoes and fresh cabbage, fried with fried eggs, hot chopped and made into hash with potatoes and onions (my wife's favorite - stay away from the goyish stuff in cans) and all sorts of other ways. Good thing it is too expensive to have often since all that beef and salt isn't really good for a person.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 14, 2010 - 5:40AM #5
river8101

My dad's family came from Lithuania, my mom's family from Warsaw, though it's strange because their last name was Baer, and that's German, isn't it?  My mom's family settled in the south here in the US, and my dad's in Baltimore.  So I don't know what I am.

You're combined corn beef hash or sandwich, sounds way too rich for me.  I have a queezy stomach, and need to be careful what I eat.  The best I can do with corn beef is in a sandwich with some mild mustard and a pickle on the side.I used to eat it a lot, but now I rarely do.  My husband likes it though.  He can eat anything.  His favorite being chilli.  ugh.

I read the Julia Child in France, book, and loved it though I can't understand a word of French, so I don't know what she was really preparing most of the time, as the various dishes were usually written in French.  But l really like fish, and in the opening scene of the film "Julie and Julia" , there was a scene in the film showing Julia and her husband first arriving in France, stopping at a restaurant and eating fish which was served by a waiter.  After serving it on each plate, he cut through it swiftly, removed the bones carefully all in one piece ...  and there it was, 2 steaming boned fish filets, each lying in one piece on a plate in something that looked like a kind of butter and wine sauce.  Now that I would have loved.  I do like fish, and I like it prepared simply.

When I was growing up, we ate much of our food prepared in a Jewish way, just as Italians like their food prepared Italian.  (everything has pasta in it!) (I watch the Food Channel a lot.)  There aren't any Jewish chefs on these shows, (at least not preparing Jewish food) but once in a while Ina Garten who is Jewish, (Barefoot Contessa) prepares Friday night dinners and it looks a lot like the ones we had on Friday night. Roast chicken, potatoes, etc., but fancier.  Once I saw Rachel prepare latkes.  Seems when she does, she always adds stuff we've never put in.  I was surprised Rachel didn't put pasta in the latkes.  She puts pasta in just about everything, so does Giada. But, Ina is my favorite chef on TV.  Watch her everyday when I'm home.   She bakes a lot.  So did my mom, I used to be able to bake a cake, but the last few times I tried, after I moved years ago, it just didn't taste the same. It was dry.   I don't know why.  I used the same ingredients. Prepared it the same way.  I blamed it on the electric oven.  We don't have gas on my particular street.  Don't know why.  We put in propane for the electric stove, because I hate trying to cook on an electric stove.  I like to see where the fire is.  But then, since Tim took over many years ago, he does most of the cooking and he doesn't care gas or electric, claiming there's no difference.  I disagree.

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 14, 2010 - 12:00PM #6
rocketjsquirell

Riv

I agree, there is a big difference between gas and electric. I cannot stand cooking on electric because it is impossible to control the heat level. (When was the last or first time you ever saw a commercial kitchen using electric ranges?)

I do not like Rachael Ray or most of the Food Channel, since they seem more interested in putting on a show than cooking. I prefer the cooking shows on PBS. There are not many kosher chefs on tv, the only one I can think of is Jeffrey Nathan. There are a few vegetarian aand vegan chefs, so you can just take their recipes straight. I love the Scandinavian Cooking Show, new Scandinavian Cooking (also at  www.newscancook.com/). they have lots of fish recipes and cook fish and vegetables pretty much the way my mom did, which I guess is not too surprising since they were all cooking the same fish with the same ingredients. The meat recipes often need lots of changes to make them kosher (and palatable). One side of my wife's family is from Finland so she loves Scandinavian Cooking and is always happy for me to make some nice light dish like smoked salmon poached in heavy cream with heavily buttered vegetables, dense rye bread and cheese.  :-)

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 16, 2010 - 6:08AM #7
river8101

I've never seen that Scandinavian cooking show.  I'll have to look for it.  I really enjoy fish.  Had it last night.  But, we're not kosher, so that part doesn't effect me.  My one son and his wife are very religious and strictly kosher.  Didn't learn it from me.  But my other two kids are not.  My son's wife comes from an Italian background, her mother's side was Catholic, but she converted, and became a very religious Jew.  My other daughter in law is an excellent cook.  She comes from an Indian background, but can cook most anything.  Her mother is an excellent cook, and can cook any type of cuisine. My son also cooks.   For quite a while she kept trying to cook matzah balls, because she loves them, and Tim kept was trying to teach her.  She finally caught on and now claims they are as light as his are.  My daughter, cooks very simple stuff, and isn't kosher.  Her boyfriend goes fishing all the time, and brings us rockfish.  I think he cooks the fish.  The rockfish is delish.  But my daughter cooks similar to how I did.  Chicken, broiled lamb chops, pasta in spaghetti sauce, etc.  Easy stuff.

How'd you like the game last night?  I thought for sure the Rangers were going to win, and then all of a sudden towards the end, the Yanks came through.  6-5.  What a game. I didn't know who to route for, but my husband hates the Yankees, and routed for the Rangers.  Must have been some game for Showalter, since he manged both teams for several years, and got them from the bottom to the top.  I only hope he can do that for the O's.  He's our manager now.  But I do think this championship season is dragging on way too long.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 16, 2010 - 10:10PM #8
Beautiful_Dreamer

MMMM pickles...*drool* I love them, my husband doesn't.

And I'm going to leave that hanging there for you to do with as you wish. :)

More where that came from...

Writing I get paid to do

Beliefnet Community Host - Christian Faith and Life, Christian to Christian Debate
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 17, 2010 - 5:30PM #9
river8101

Rocky,

Sorry and surprised about the Philly game last night.  I'm not sure who plays tonight.  I'll have to look it up.  I think they both play again tonight.   But there were 2 great pitchers in that game last night, you know.    It was so close.  riv

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2010 - 1:28AM #10
Yavanna

Oct 16, 2010 -- 10:10PM, Beautiful_Dreamer wrote:

MMMM pickles...*drool* I love them, my husband doesn't.

And I'm going to leave that hanging there for you to do with as you wish. :)

When I was a teenager and waiting tables, I was overcome on a hot summer day. I went to get my Mt. Dew for a quick drink. Unfortunately, the cook thought it was hilarious to replace my drink with pickle juice. The greens were identical and the scent was masked by the glass soda bottle. A big, giant swig of warm pickle juice when you're expecting soda is enough to traumatize anyone.

I can't go near pickles now. Sealed

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel