Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View MTC in the NYT, 8.22.2010
4 years ago  ::  Aug 24, 2010 - 1:22PM #11
Svetlana

Aug 24, 2010 -- 12:13PM, mecdukebec wrote:

Aug 24, 2010 -- 11:24AM, Habala?! wrote:

I am certain that German Madrigals are excellent, Madame.  The opportunities for boisterous singing are found, in abundance, in the Badger State, esp. around Oktoberfest.

Its almost that time of year again. Time to brush up on your beer drinking songs. By the way, this year marks 200 years of Oktoberfest. Viel spass!

There's a marvelous scene in "Cabaret" where a youth sings a round of "Tomorrow Belongs to Me." Very Teutonic, I must say. Does this occur in your environs?

Not frequently.

I have just emailed a nephew, with whom I intend to hear a polka mass as soon as we can find one on a Sunday on which we are both free.  They are not all that common, I regret.  I've attended two or three, one of which ended with the priest polka-ing out the door of the church with a woman dressed in Polish costume, out the door and right into the beer tent.  Now THAT is Sunday in Wisconsin!  (It was a large church festival, and lots of fun.)

"No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it."  ~ (common sense)

"Never place a period where God has placed a comma."  ~ Gracie Allen

"I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"I wonder sometimes if we ever give God a headache." ~ Dontay Hall, age 8
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 24, 2010 - 1:24PM #12
mecdukebec
There must be lots of donuts, apple dumplings, and Rubenesque people, Madame, at these Polski shindigs.   

Dancing to the "Polish Corridor" Waltz is surely one of the cultural treasures of that Central European nation, and quite certainly a cultural treasure of the Badger State, Madame.

Haute cuisine, I must say, from the sound of it.

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2010 - 1:13AM #13
moksha8088

Aug 24, 2010 -- 8:34AM, mecdukebec wrote:

no one expects the FRAPPE.

I don't see why not, after all, the button is clearly marked on the blender. 

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2010 - 9:34AM #14
Acts 28:22

Aug 23, 2010 -- 5:35PM, Svetlana wrote:

You got it wrong about the Sheboygan couple, Keb.  I don't know where your couple resides, but we here in Wisconsin, those of us who have sung in choirs, anyway, have heard examples of Norman Schnabernacle, er, Mormon Tabernacle recordings used as examples of how NOT to sing.  They've changed directors since then, so I'm sure the singing has improved, but I'll never forget the rousing "for unto WUSS a child is born" I heard from them.  Ouch.  (I've actually heard the observance of dynamics in recent recordings, so they MUST have improved.)

Nope, anyone from Sheboygan would have heard the same recording and wouldn't have traveled to Paris to hear the Choir.

I'm not as familiar with their earlier recordings but I love Mo' Tab's current works and director.  The current director also wrote the arrangement of the piece below.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 01, 2010 - 10:01PM #15
Acts 28:22

At this very moment  exactly 100 years ago Mo' Tab was singing this

www.americaschristmasch oir.com/1910recording.wav

www.americaschristmaschoir.com

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing