Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Seal of the Prophets
4 years ago  ::  Aug 10, 2010 - 4:43PM #1
truthseeker630

Dear all,

What is the Bahai understanding of the term "Seal of the prophets"?  I know that Muslims interpret this much as a seal that you would put on a wine bottle, and that's the end all -- be all of it.  Also I know Bahai's give a verse which I think is from the Qur'an or the ahadith which talk about "him whom Allah shall make manifest."

I've come across a few anti-Bahai websites, organized by Muslim apologists.  Yet I am skeptical of anyone who claims that Baha'u'llah was ambitious for power, thinking it might be just more propaganda. 

Sincerely,

Truth Seeker :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 10, 2010 - 8:04PM #2
Aka_me

Baha'i consider the term "seal of the prophets" to mean "bearing the most complete set of teachings to-date".

which in no way, shape, or form indicates "the last one ever".

Baha'i think of Zoroaster as the seal of the prophets... the most complete up to that point in time.

Moses as the seal of the prophets...

Jesus as the seal of the prophets...

Muhammad as the seal of the prophets...

the Bab as the seal of the prophets...

Baha'u'llah as the seal of the prophets...

there is nothing about the term which gives cause to believe "none will ever follow".

the US exports death and corruption globally on a scale undrempt by Iranian authorities. war for corporate profits funded by taxpayers and soldiers' lives plus unofficial war funded by drugs to minorities. wave that flag of corruption in blissful ignorance of the orphans it creates assisting the rich to get richer. it's all good though cause we don't need to do ANYTHING to change... mother nature will create the necessary change.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 18, 2010 - 12:39PM #3
in_my_opinion

Dear truthseeker630,

The Apostle of God, Muhammad Himself, says of those who say that God's hands are bound and that there are no Messengers after theirs, that it was their hands that were bound.

Today these are those who say the same thing.

Seal of the Prophets also means "Ornament of the Prophets". 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 17, 2011 - 3:42AM #4
Lilwabbit

Dear Truthseeker,

A more thorough and scholarly discussion on the Bahá'í understanding of the Qur'ánic term "the Seal of the Prophets" (khatam al-nabiyyin) can be found in the following link:

bahai-library.com/articles/jbs.5-3.fazel...

In brief, the gist of the Bahá'í position is that 'nabi' literally signifies "a prophecy-maker" or "a news-bringer" ("a bringer of tidings"). The 78th surah of the Qur'án, the Surah of An-Naba (news, tidings), refers to the Day of Judgment as the very "news" or "the tidings" intended throughout the Qur'án. All the "prophets" or "news-bringers" (nabiyyin) brought to mankind the same "news" (an-Naba) of a future Day of Judgment and Reckoning, as described in the 78th surah. In other words, "nabi" in the Qur'ánic sense, is one whom God has sent to "warn" and "inform" mankind about the future Day of Judgment.

Since the Báb and Bahá'u'lláh announced the arrival of the Day of Judgment, they couldn't possibly be 'nabiyyin', prophets who prophecize about a future Day of Judgment. Muhammad was verily the Seal of the Prophets. Bahá'u'lláh is indeed regarded as the Judge on the Day of Judgment, the one to announce that the Day has indeed arrived after millennia of expectation. Since the Day is at hand, the time of its prophecy is obviously over.

As regards the symbolism of the cataclysmic events associated with the Day of Judgment, as Bahá'u'lláh says in the Kitáb-i-Iqán (which is basically a tafsir on the apocalyptic prophecies of the Qur'án and the Gospels), if people were to persist in their expectation of literal cleavings of mountains, heavens folded in God's right hand, literal suns darkening, and literal Christs descending upon clouds, they can well keep on waiting until the end that has no end.

This, in short, is the Bahá'í understanding.

With kind regards,

LilWabbit

"All things have I willed for you, and you too, for your own sake."
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2011 - 7:24PM #5
in_my_opinion

Funny how history repeats itself. Some who profess Christianity expect a literal Advent. This despite the lesson that Christ Himself taught when as Jews they expected the Messiah to be a mere king with a sword. Two prophecies which He fulfilled with the Kingship "not of this earth" and the sword of the Word. Now professing Islam they expect a literal and specific meaning of the term. Every Manifestation of God is both the First and the Last.

"When the Unseen, the Eternal, the Divine Essence, caused the Day Star of Muhammad to rise above the horizon of knowledge, among the cavils which the Jewish divines raised against Him was that after Moses no Prophet should be sent of God. Yea, mention hath been made in the Scriptures of a Soul Who must needs be made manifest and Who will advance the Faith, and promote the interests of the people of Moses, so that the Law of the Mosaic Dispensation may encompass the whole earth. Thus hath the King of eternal glory referred in His Book to the words uttered by those wanderers in the vale of remoteness and error: "'The hand of God,' say the Jews, 'is chained up.' Chained up be their own hands; And for that which they have said, they were accursed. Nay, outstretched are both His hands!" "The hand of God is above their hands." Although the commentators of the Qur'án have related in divers manners the circumstances attending the revelation of this verse, yet thou shouldst endeavor to apprehend the purpose thereof. He saith: How false is that which the Jews have imagined! How can the hand of Him Who is the King in truth, Who caused the countenance of Moses to be made manifest, and conferred upon Him the robe of Prophethood -- how can the hand of such a One be chained and fettered? How can He be conceived as powerless to raise up yet another Messenger after Moses? Behold the absurdity of their saying; how far it hath strayed from the path of knowledge and understanding! Observe how in this Day also, all these people have occupied themselves with such foolish absurdities. For over a thousand years they have been reciting this verse, and unwittingly pronouncing their censure against the Jews, utterly unaware that they themselves, openly and privily, are voicing the sentiments and belief of the Jewish people! Thou art surely aware of their idle contention, that all Revelation is ended, that the portals of Divine mercy are closed, that from the day springs of eternal holiness no Sun shall rise again, that the Ocean of everlasting bounty is forever stilled, and that out of the Tabernacle of ancient glory the Messengers of God have ceased to be made manifest. Such is the measure of the understanding of these small-minded, contemptible people. These people have imagined that the flow of God's all-encompassing grace and plenteous mercies, the cessation of which no mind can contemplate, has been halted. From every side they have risen and girded up the loins of tyranny, and exerted the utmost endeavor to quench with the bitter waters of their vain fancy the flame of God's Burning Bush, oblivious that the globe of power shall, within its own mighty stronghold, protect the Lamp of God...."

(Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, pp. 22-24)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 14, 2011 - 10:52AM #6
Kalzera

I think the previous posters did a decent job of explaining the Bahá'í understanding. However, it's also worth noting that there is academic/secular basis for interpreting it contrary to the Muslim majority.

The original Muslim community actually expected another prophet after Muhammad. In fact, there's a Hadith where Muhammad said his son Ibrahim would've grown up to be a great Prophet had he of lived (I tried finding it on google but can't.). They determined that the Prophethood had ended and started interpreting "Seal" as meaning "End" a hundred years or so after Muhammad's death. Until then, it simply meant "approval" of the former revelations.

However men try to reach me, I return their love with my love; whatever path they may travel, it leads to me in the end - Bhagavad Gita 4:11

"Knowledge is a light which God casteth into the heart of whomsoever He willeth" - The Four Valleys; Hadith
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 29, 2011 - 6:08PM #7
NATAS

This is what I know.  There are a lot of different understandings of what is a prophet and what a prophet does.  

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophet

So far as I know the only people that Bahia have problems with are Muslims. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2012 - 10:21PM #8
Lilwabbit

Howdy IDBC my good Buddy,

Dec 29, 2011 -- 6:08PM, NATAS wrote:

No, the only people we have problems with are human beings, the Baha'is included.

Kindly,

LilWabbit

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2012 - 8:50PM #9
NATAS

Jan 21, 2012 -- 10:21PM, Lilwabbit wrote:

No, the only people we have problems with are human beings, the Baha'is included.

Kindly,

LilWabbit

The only "people" are human beings. 

Tell me do Bahais have much of a problem with Christians in Finland? 

Do Bahais get arrested and persecuted in Findland?  

Why do you think it is that Bahais seem to have more problems with Muslim "people" than with other "people"?  

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2012 - 9:20PM #10
Lilwabbit

Hi there Natas!

Greetings from steaming hot Nicaragua!

Jan 22, 2012 -- 8:50PM, NATAS wrote:

Jan 21, 2012 -- 10:21PM, Lilwabbit wrote:

Kindly,

LilWabbit

The only "people" are human beings. 

Tell me do Bahais have much of a problem with Christians in Finland? 

Do Bahais get arrested and persecuted in Findland?  

Why do you think it is that Bahais seem to have more problems with Muslim "people" than with other "people"?

I merely responded to your inaccurate claim that Muslims are the only people Baha'is have problems with. Sure, we have had more serious problems with those who call themselves "Muslim". We have also been actively campaigned against and dismissed as a dangerous NWO cult by many Christian organizations in several countries, including yours. There are even Orthodox Jewish rabbis in Israel who warn people about the Baha'i Faith due to large numbers of Jewish Baha'i conversions in Iran. The Hindus and Mormons have thus far been the kindest. What do you wish to accomplish by this comparative acknowledgement? That Islam is the worse religion?

With kind regards,

LilWabbit

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook