Page 512 of 807  •  Prev 1 ... 510 511 512 513 514 ... 807 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The 'existence' of gods
2 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2012 - 10:24AM #5111
Blü

Aka_me

Athena as a goddess, can't even pull off the levitation and parlor tricks that Criss Angel does

Athena is the goddess of wisdom, so you probably won't run into her.

But don't mess with Aphrodite, buster, or ya'll never know what hit ya.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2012 - 10:48AM #5112
JCarlin

Jun 18, 2012 -- 8:15AM, christine3 wrote:

Right, science only thinks that stars and planets have no effects on humans.  Part of the problem is that it sees itself as opposed to unexplained phenomena like humans' ability to self heal or heal others, and science is also interested in profit, so it only puts its efforts into profit.  It has taken part in producing numerous medicines that do not cure, only abate or mask at best, have dangerous side-effects at worst.

Science has no opinion about unexplained phenomenon.  All are placed in the study when we have the tools category.  You are correct that commercial science, as well as commercial skeptics claim that things they cannot study are not science, but they can be ignored.  Except for big pharma.  As a recent SciAm article noted antidepressant meds are placebos with side effects fMRI is beginning to open the mind to science, but it has a long way to go as the mind is probably more complex than cosmology, after all the mind can at least try to understand cosmology but results may vary. 

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2012 - 10:55AM #5113
mountain_man

Jun 18, 2012 -- 8:03AM, christine3 wrote:

There are many areas it hasn't begun to fathom, is not interested in, already has made it's mind up that these things don't exist.

Which is untrue. Science has no "mind" to make such decisions. Science has only facts and a method of inquiry. If our body of knowledge, science, has investigated those facts it is those facts, not a "mind" that tells us the truth of those facts. In the area you are talking about science does "fathom" or understand and the facts have shown us that there is nothing there.

In my own frame of reference, science cannot claim knowledge of how to cure many diseases...calls them incurable...but that is not true.

Science has shown that the type of "curing" or healing you are talking about does not exist.

It just doesn't have the 'tools'.  It can't see into past lifetimes.

No one can. There is no such thing as a "past lifetime."

It can't remove 'spirits' from people that make them sick. 

These "spirits" are not what make people sick. They don't exist. Science has proven that.

You can believe those things all you want, no one cares. It's when you disparage, or discount, science and replace it with junk science that the problem occurs.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2012 - 10:59AM #5114
mountain_man

Right, science only thinks that stars and planets have no effects on humans.

There is no way those things could have any effect on humans what so ever. No one has shown they could or any mechanism how they could. It's an ancient belief, a superstition, a religion.

Part of the problem is that it sees itself as opposed to unexplained phenomena like humans' ability to self heal or heal others...

No one can "heal others" like you claim. It just doesn't happen. The body has amazing powers to heal itself, but it's all been pretty much explained and nothing magical about it.

...and science is also interested in profit...

Pure BS.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2012 - 11:21AM #5115
JCarlin

Jun 18, 2012 -- 10:59AM, mountain_man wrote:

Christine: Part of the problem is that it sees itself as opposed to unexplained phenomena like humans' ability to self heal or heal others...

No one can "heal others" like you claim. It just doesn't happen. The body has amazing powers to heal itself, but it's all been pretty much explained and nothing magical about it.

ROFLMAO.

A fundy believer in Science. 

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2012 - 12:08PM #5116
christine3

Right, science only thinks that stars and planets have no effects on humans.

There is no way those things could have any effect on humans what so ever. No one has shown they could or any mechanism how they could. It's an ancient belief, a superstition, a religion.

Part of the problem is that it sees itself as opposed to unexplained phenomena like humans' ability to self heal or heal others...

...and science is also interested in profit...

Pure BS.

When you say things like "no one has shown, no one can, it just doesn't happen" all you are saying is that you haven't seen it.  I know of at least 9 people in the United States that are healers.  They and their patients wouldn't agree with you.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2012 - 1:09PM #5117
christine3

MM:  It's when you disparage, or discount, science...

I don't.  I disparage and discount little minds that use today's science for their selfish aims.  Their science has created imbalance in the world.  It must be eliminated.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2012 - 2:27PM #5118
christine3

No one can "heal others" like you claim. 

I suppose you are speaking of your experience with Christians.  Christians don't know how to do it...they pray to a god to do it.

Indigenous do it themselves.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2012 - 4:40PM #5119
Ken

Jun 17, 2012 -- 10:47PM, Aka_me wrote:

Athena as a goddess, can't even pull off the levitation and parlor tricks that Criss Angel does, begging the question of what it takes to be a god.

Athena can do all sorts of things. Read The Odyssey.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2012 - 4:43PM #5120
wohali

Athena is one chick not to piss-off.........

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 512 of 807  •  Prev 1 ... 510 511 512 513 514 ... 807 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook