Page 501 of 807  •  Prev 1 ... 499 500 501 502 503 ... 807 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The 'existence' of gods
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 3:04PM #5001
Ken

Jun 12, 2012 -- 2:56PM, Aka_me wrote:

Jun 12, 2012 -- 2:49PM, Ken wrote:

Jun 12, 2012 -- 2:41PM, Aka_me wrote:

rape and necrophilia are acceptable with penguins, so if their brain doesn't feel any guilt then human brains shouldn't feel any guilt either.

Apparently Aka_me hasn't noticed that human beings aren't penguins.

for the abstract reasoning impaired, we can use cannibalism as the example.

cannibalist's reasoning process doesn't tell them that murder is wrong.

so now, where is this "reasoning at work" again?

No, let's stick to penguins. Penguin brains aren't much like human brains. To say that something that is true of penguin brains should also be true of human brains is  . . . well, dumb.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 3:36PM #5002
Sparky_Spotty

rape and necrophilia are acceptable with penguins, so if their brain doesn't feel any guilt then human brains shouldn't feel any guilt either.

Can I nominate this as the stupidest idea posted this week?

What the hell kind of inference is that?

If sparrows can fly, then humans can too.

Mosquitos can't do long division, therefore humans can't either.

sheesh

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 3:39PM #5003
mainecaptain

Jun 12, 2012 -- 3:36PM, Sparky_Spotty wrote:

What the hell kind of inference is that?

If sparrows can fly, then humans can too.

Mosquitos can't do long division, therefore humans can't either.

sheesh

I second the nomination

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 3:56PM #5004
mountain_man

if something is ok in culture A, and not ok in culture B...

Then move to culture C. Hyperbolic non sequiturs such as yours show a desire to obfuscate the issue instead of participate in a rational discussion. In just about every culture we know about, past and present, there are prohibitions against forced sexual contact, murder and general violence against another, and theft of property. You can invent all the "culture A's" you want but that's just avoiding the issue; gods, or god beliefs, are not needed for - and often antithetical to - an ethical culture.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 3:59PM #5005
mountain_man

Jun 12, 2012 -- 2:49PM, Ken wrote:

Apparently Aka_me hasn't noticed that human beings aren't penguins.

Speaking of bird brains..... some humans behave like a flock of penguins in that they follow along with the flock and cannot, utterly cannot, think for themselves. That's why they cling so tightly to their god beliefs.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 4:02PM #5006
mountain_man

Jun 12, 2012 -- 3:36PM, Sparky_Spotty wrote:

You motion has been seconded. The vote was unanimous. Motion carries.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 4:07PM #5007
mountain_man

Jun 12, 2012 -- 3:39PM, Aka_me wrote:

the notion that evolution brought us a "social clan" which is what brought forth ethics and morals... should be demonstratable[sic] with a social species...

Since we are a social species with a fairly consistent morality across cultures, that humans are intelligent enough to know right from wrong has been demonstrated - by us. No god needed. Actually, god beliefs have been a CAUSE of immoral behavior, not the cure.

I wonder about the ethics and morals of a person that actually believes that humans are not smart enough to know right from wrong. It tells me they have no internal concept of right or wrong and that they have to rely upon some god belief to inform them. If you blindly follow a set of rules then you are incapable of making a moral decision for yourself.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 4:33PM #5008
Sparky_Spotty

Jun 12, 2012 -- 4:23PM, Aka_me wrote:

. they have a soul whether they believe in it or not.

PRove it.

knowing right from wrong is an evidence of the soul.

Prove it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 5:15PM #5009
mountain_man

the set rules should have reason to why they exist, and can be relative to the social norms and conditions of the time.

And throughout history those moral codes have been remarkably similar. Those morals do have reasons that humanity has thought about and came to similar conclusions throughout history. No god or god belief needed.

my theology....

Your theology is irrelevant to this discussion, and I could not care less what it has to say about anything.

humans have spiritual capacity ....

This so called "spirituality" is nothing more than a shiny badge to show off to others. It is also irrelevant to this discussion. That god stuff you mentioned is just plain silly. That humans, and a few other species, are capable of figuring out right from wrong is evidence of our capacity for thought guided by empathy, emotions, caring about others, and all that other stuff that god beliefs deny.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 5:15PM #5010
JCarlin

if something is ok in culture A, and not ok in culture B...

then it wasn't our brain doing any figuring at all, it was dictated TO US not reasoned BY US.

Wrong.  I have a choice cultures I can adopt as my own.  I can choose a culture driven by a dogmatic pastor or manifestation worshiping a misogynic and homophobic God described by that pastor or manifestation or I can choose an educated rational culture usually found in or near university communities.  There are of course many reasoned choices in between and beyond those choices.  But the culture we adopt is generally a rational choice even if the choice is to go with the familiar milk religion of our upbringing.  

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 501 of 807  •  Prev 1 ... 499 500 501 502 503 ... 807 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook