Switch to Forum Live View
Locked: Technical Issues
4 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2010 - 2:41AM #1
Justme333

Phishing Scam/Spam Update

Phishing scams and spam continue to be a problem,  and there is a change in the way to handle those pesky things. Just for now please do not email the Community Mailbox (community@beliefnetstaff.com) with  complaints/reports.  Instead members should use the "Report Content" button on the spam/phishing email we receive.  Remember to never give out your personal information (including your email addy) to any of those strange people who are either looking for *love* or wanting to *give you money* for a price.

Justme333
Beliefnet Community Host
Discuss Christianity Board

Moderated by Adelphe on Dec 16, 2011 - 12:00AM
"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."  Will Rogers

"Give to those who ask, and don't turn away from those who want to borrow."  Matthew 5:42

"Charity is no substitute for justice withheld."         St. Augustine

"Your love for God is only as great as the love you have for the person you love least."  Dorothy Day

"If you want peace, work for justice." Pope Paul VI
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2010 - 10:26PM #2
Justme333

Phishing Scam/Spam Update

It was brought to my attention by one of our regular (and apparently intelligent) poster, Kartari, that if you change your privacy setting to allow personal  messages only from friends, that the scam/spam messages will never darken your inbox again. Your privacy setting link can be accessed by clicking on *profile* link - not *my profile* in the list of things found on the left side of either your home page or your profile page.  When you click on *profile* another list drops down and you will see *privacy settings*.  When you click on that, the first box you will see gives you the option of restricting personal messages to posters who are on your friends list.

That being said, you also should know that if you do restrict your messages that way, any posters who may want to contact you privately, but are not on your friends list will be unable to do so.  But they can send a friend's request to you and after you accept they will then be able to message you.

The other problem with this, but you may not view it as a problem, is if for some reason one of your posts needs to be removed, and the host removing it is not on your friend's list, you will not be notified as to the reason for the post removal.

Justme333
Beliefnet Community Host
Discuss Christianity Board

Moderated by Adelphe on Dec 16, 2011 - 12:00AM
"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."  Will Rogers

"Give to those who ask, and don't turn away from those who want to borrow."  Matthew 5:42

"Charity is no substitute for justice withheld."         St. Augustine

"Your love for God is only as great as the love you have for the person you love least."  Dorothy Day

"If you want peace, work for justice." Pope Paul VI
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 months ago  ::  May 31, 2014 - 4:06PM #3
Merope

Some of us are encountering log-in issues this morning.  While IT is working on the issue, here are 2 alternative ways that you or your members can log in:

1.  Go to the profile page of any member except yourself.  Once there, click on Send a Message in the blue column on the left-hand side and a log-in screen will pop up.  Log in.  If you’re successful, an empty message screen will come up and you’ll show as logged in at the top right of the page.

2.  Go to any post – by any member other than you – on any thread and click on the head icon under the member's avatar.  When the drop-down menu opens up, click on Send a Private Message to … and a log-in screen will pop up.  Same drill as above:  If you’re successful, an empty message screen will come up and you’ll show as logged in at the top right of the page.

When IT lets us know the issue is fixed, we'll let you know.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 months ago  ::  Jun 02, 2014 - 8:46PM #4
Merope

This issue was resolved this morning.  Thanks so much for your patience.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 months ago  ::  Jun 09, 2014 - 10:12AM #5
Adelphe

Current workaround:  Two alternative ways to remain logged in without automatically getting logged out when leaving the site:

1.  Go to the profile page of any member except yourself.  Once there, click on Send a Message in the blue column on the left-hand side; log in when the log-in screen pops up. BEFORE you hit "submit" (or "sign in", etc.) CHECK THE BOX NEXT TO Remember Me.  You'll know you're successfully logged in when an empty message screen comes up and you're shown as logged in at the top right of the page.

OR

2.  Go to any post (by any member other than yourself) on any thread and click on the head icon under the member's avatar.  When the drop-down menu opens up, click on Send a Private Message to ... and a log-in screen pops up.  Do the same as above, making sure to CHECK THE BOX NEXT TO Remember Me.  You'll know you're successfully logged in when an empty message screen comes up and you show as logged in at the top right of the page.

The critical step in remaining logged so to check the box next to Remember Me.  

Hope this helps and thanks.

Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason, my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not retract anything, for to go against conscience would be neither right nor safe.  Here I stand.  I can do no other.  God help me.  Amen.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook