Switch to Forum Live View To abandon of not to abandon religion
4 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2010 - 7:10AM #1
sdney

Plenty of reasons can be shown that all religions should be abandoned, but what should these religions be replace with? Most of man's currents religions are obsolete by way of the fact they are ancient teaching and their beliefs are based on the ideas of our ancestors that had very little knowledge of which included modern thought and practical concepts relating to what has become known about todays world. We can all find reason to criticize and downplay all religions of our ancestors, yet we are left with a void that offers no explanation about the truth of any religion.

Can people be expected to abandon Christianity based on the facts that the Bible contains unreliable information that appears as a result of what ancient people that had very little sophistication and even less information about their world and knowledge that would accumulate over the passing centuries?

Can't all religion be called upon to be tested and assumed to be false and unreliable because they too where originated by ancient man?

To wit the fact is, that all religions need to be replaced with new truths that will satisfy man's curiosity concerning the truth of religion. We can't abandon any religion because they all are based on the truth as seen and experienced by people of an age when they had no knowledge about their immediate world. They were blind and even perhaps dumb, but there are mitigating circumstances which allows these unfortunate religions to questioned.

Outdated as they all are is no reason to abandon them. They need to be replaced with new information that will validate and confirm what they have intended to do. All religions have been provided to mankind by way of God's intervention with humanity. Regardless of the fact that they have become old and dead they still possess life in that they were instrumental in helping mankind to reach this point of confusion. They have instilled within us as the human race a sense of justice, love, compassion, and freedom. These old obsolete relgions have given us a path towards alleviating the social ills of humanity.

What we really want from religion is the knowledge of who and what are God's plans for humanity. Are we going to Hell or Heaven after we die? Is there a miracle performing God that will help us in times of dispair and trouble? Is there rewards for doing as God desires and punishment for not abiding by God's laws? These questions seem to be unanswered by our ancient religions or at best they seem to offer a mythical perspective to the answers at hand.

I doubt that the answers to any religion is the complete abandonment of them. The solutions to these issues is the quest which must continue for the true answers to what God wants us to know and then we must apply these answers to the renovation of religion. We must rebuild on the foundation of the old religions. It isn't necessary to tear down and abandon the churches, sysngogues, and temples of worship and religious faiths. It is time to unify all religions so that we won't feel that one religion is better tha the next. It is time that Christ, Mohammed, Confucious, Buddah, and all prophets of God stood together in the halls of religious institutions to show that all religions orginated from God's will to show us that He exist.

There is no sound reason to abandon any religion much less Christianity. They all serve a purpose and dispite what they may represent to modern man thay have held the fabric of humanity together. We can argue, debate, and challenge one another about the merits of their ligitimate purpose, but we can't afford to abandon them for it would be insane to give them up totally.

I would rather hold a piece of a rope and save myself from drowning then give up the rope completely and know I will hopelessly drown. Thanks.

vasid

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 09, 2010 - 4:44PM #2
Bob_Bennett

Perhaps you would be satisfied with A Course In Miracles, channeled from Jesus from 1965 to 1973, in modern English.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2010 - 4:28PM #3
sdney

(Revised) How Does Religion Fit in with Today’s World?

Is religion relevant in today’s world as we become aware of the sciences involved with man’s knowledge concerning the evolution and progression of life? We can all find reason to criticize and downplay the religions of our ancestors, yet we are left with no viable options other than religion and science which offer explanations about the truth of life about which our ancestor had no knowledge.

All religious philosophies contain contradictions including the Bible, the Koran, and the Torah. All major events throughout history have taken on mythological status, and it is hard to tell where facts end and a bit of embellishment starts. Yet, humanity can't abandon any religion because they all are based on the truth as seen and experienced by people of an age when their knowledge was limited. Outdated as they all appear there is no reason to abandon them because they all are based on the truth as known at that time. All religions have been provided to mankind by way of God's intervention with humanity through meditation and revelations. They have instilled within us as the human race a sense of justice, love, compassion, and freedom. These old religions have given us a path towards alleviating the social ills of humanity. They are universal in that they have given us some insight as to the existence of God and the reason for life. Regardless of what we call God in our different cultures and traditions we have grown as a result of the laws developed within religions.

What we really want from religion is the knowledge of who GOD is and what are HIS plans for humanity? Is there a miracle-performing God that will help us in times of despair and trouble? Are there rewards for doing as God desires and punishment for not abiding by God's laws? These questions seem to be unanswered to this day. We have had to have faith in various religious teachings to take us to each new level of comprehension.

I doubt that the answer to any religion is the complete abandonment of it. The solutions to these issues is the quest which must continue for the true answers to what God wants us to know and then we must apply these answers to our lives and the revitalization of religion. We must build on the foundation of the old religions. It isn't necessary to tear down and abandon the churches, synagogues, and temples of worship and religious faiths. It is time to look for the commonality in all religions so that we can communicate better. No one religion is better than the other. It is time that Christ, Mohammed, Confucius, Buddha, and all prophets of God stood together in the halls of religious institutions to show that all religions originated from God's will to instill His law of love.

There is no sound reason to abandon any religion. They all serve a purpose and despite what they may represent to modern man they have held the fabric of humanity together. We can only recognize that all religions have contributed to our mutual understanding of God’s law of love.

Supplementology has been initiated with the intent of helping mankind move towards the overall goal and objective of bringing all religions together under one umbrella.

This mandate has not been inspired by the minds and thoughts of man but has been revealed by The Almighty and His Spirits to Humanity.

Anyone who may be interested in discovering these new Revelations from The Almighty may find additional information in the publications translated from the original Messages received by Nick Mezins’s uncle Alexander Homics, and others, and later discovered by Sidney R. Smith. “Messages to Mankind from The Almighty and His Spirits”, Alexander Homics (Vantage Press, 1976) “Supplementology: Combining Religion with Science”, S.R. Smith (Trafford Publishers, 2005) “The Tidings: The Book of Tidings of The Almighty and His Spirits to Humanity”, Nick Mezins (Trafford Publishers, 2005) “The Tidings, Part two: The Book of Tidings of The Almighty and His Spirits.

Also, listen to a radio intervew by Rev. S. R. Smith with Ambrose Lane of WPFW Radio on the website

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2011 - 11:21PM #4
Sisterintruth

I donot abandon God, nor my way of life, christianity, which to me is not a religion. God is the same as yesterday,today & forever. the cultures might change, but his message does not. 

the only things that should change is how we understand Scriptures. Are we following scripture the way the bible tells us, or by church traditions which was altered throughout the centuries by mans opinions? that is the true question. I go with chocie A. I follow scripture only as in the bible, & also look up studyaides like concordences & other helpful things to help  explain scriptures. I donot "belong" or "hold membership" in a church, I have membership in Gods book, on his "rolls"
not "church rolls". Do i have fellowship? Yes i teleconference on Sundays with an elder & other members whom are homebound & felowship with people during the week when i am out & about.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2011 - 11:27AM #5
Darlene

I truly understand people's dissatisfaction with the "religions" of the world. I personally make a clear distinction between "man's religion" and "God's revelation". I find that religion is man's search for God. The Bible is God's search for the heart of man. God instructs us through His word, the Holy Bible, and he calls us to follow Him, not man.

Yes, mankind has evolved through the centuries and has greater understanding of the world than did our ancestors. However, Christians in every age, have been called upon to follow the word of God and not that of man, regardless of their place in human history. God's truth is eternal no matter what age we live in.

I have been exposed to and studied the teachings of many religions and found them all wanting with regard to God's word. About twenty-six years ago, I began studying the Bible for myself, without outside interference of any kind and God began to truly reveal his word to me. I have found that the Bible does reveal the answers to all our questions; why are we here, what is our purpose, where are we going, is there life after death, is there a heaven or hell, is there a devil, how did evil come to be in our world? The Bible does not contradict itself, it interprets itself. We only think it contradicts itself because of the teachings of man through his many "religions". I can absolutely prove that most religions, in fact, contradict the Bible. Some blatantly do so and make no excuses for it. Some even claim that their teachings are to be obeyed, even above the Bible.

I have completely turned away from "religion". I no longer need it. I have all that I need within the pages of my Bible. I believe, as the Bible tells us, that it is the inspired word of God. Through it God explains everything we need to know. A little over a year ago, I began a blog in which I attempt to expose many of the false teachings we have come to accept without question to the light of God's word and see what the Bible really says. You can find it at ahigherauthority.blogspot.com

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2011 - 10:26AM #6
DNT

Hey

I agree with Darlene on this, there is a big difference between mans "religions" and "Gods Revelations" today's religions are man made set of rules on how to worship God, the word of God is just as relevant to day as it was in the past

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness

The problem is this world has become extremely atheistic and it is an aggressive form of atheist that preach that there is no God. They increasingly use science to disprove that there is no God but i believe science and the Bible do not contradict each other, it is simply down to what you believe, weather it be history, science, philosophy etc, the Bible can easily answer all our questions, it is simply down to faith.

Once we understand and have faith that God will reveal the truth to us through his word, we can be sure that even with apparent contradictions Gods Word will stand any test of time. As i said its down to faith and when we have that and love in our harts, all other philosophies and religions dont really matter, it is down to taking Gods word litraley.

God Bless You

Denis.  

1Ti 3:16  And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 15, 2012 - 5:46PM #7
Bob_Bennett

The question is "to abandon or not to abandon one's religion".     In a way, this depends upon whether you have tried some other denominations as a way of finding spiritual truths.

I have found that good teachers are essential to understanding the hidden meanings in the scriptures, as  a literal approach will keep one from understanding the higher meanings., and thus the real message.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook