Page 6 of 82  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 82 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Islamism - an ideology not about Islam
4 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2010 - 11:08AM #51
Agnosticspirit

I personally have no issues demonizing an ideology that supports adherents flying planes into buildings, passing legislation to encourage spousal rape, dehumanizing women, and imperialistic expansionism. There really are sects within Islam who are ready for the return of their Mahdi... read some of the end times myths of Islam, frightening stuff on par with the endtimes stories in the Bible.

I personally have no issues demonizing fundamentalist Christian sects who constantly try to tear down the wall of separation between church and state. To the credit of Christianity, it's been tamed. Christianity and Judaism benefitted from the enlightenment, Islam has not. (yet)

I also have no issues demonizing radical sects within Judaism that treat women as inferior beings and dehumanize Palestinians.

A pattern emerges... extremism is the problem. Denying the problem doesn't help and sticking your head in the sand won't make it all go away.

The excuses radical Islamists use to justify their own barbarities are a cop out so they don't have to acccept responsibility for their own barbarism.

Mainstream Muslims are at more risk from their  extremist siblings in faith than are non-Muslims.

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2010 - 3:56PM #52
Erey

I assert that Islamism is an ideology that arises from a reaction to modernity and globalism.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2010 - 9:54PM #53
arabianwitch

This is for mountain_man. A very good definition of what a demon is may be found by reading the biography of any of the leaders of al Qaeda. That these 'demons' think they are obeying Allah is one of the most sickening things I can imagine. Islamism, as it has been defined on this thread, is demonic, and those who try to force it on others deserve to be demonized. However, it is an acceptable alternative to kill them and send them to shaitan while demonizing them which, I am very pleased to say, many of my friends, many relatives, incuding my brothers, sister, and sis-in-law, and my husband and I have had the good fortune to do, with Allah's blessings I believe...even though I am not the last bit of a strict Muslim..mostly MINO, Muslim in name only... but when it comes to these 'demons', these islamists, I can get real 'Islamic' while doing my part in getting rid of them.

Salaam,

Aisha

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2010 - 10:30PM #54
mountain_man

Jun 16, 2010 -- 9:49AM, JAstor wrote:

But you said things defending Islamism so you MUST be right.

You must have me confused with another poster.,

(Fyi, as previous posters pointed out, I was speaking about Islamism, not necessarily Islam and Muslims, who Aisha, a Muslima, pointed out are probably more victimized by Islamism.)

And I've addressed that issue several times.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2010 - 10:31PM #55
mountain_man

Jun 16, 2010 -- 9:54PM, arabianwitch wrote:

This is for mountain_man. A very good definition of what a demon is may be found by reading the biography of any of the leaders of al Qaeda....

And your demonization of others is no different.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2010 - 10:51PM #56
rangerken

Jun 16, 2010 -- 10:31PM, mountain_man wrote:

Jun 16, 2010 -- 9:54PM, arabianwitch wrote:

This is for mountain_man. A very good definition of what a demon is may be found by reading the biography of any of the leaders of al Qaeda....

And your demonization of others is no different.

Come on now, mountain_man. There is a big difference between Muslims and radical islamists. Being opposed to radical islamists, or islamism when it refers to them, is not being anti-muslim! Being opposed to pedophile priests isn't being opposed to all catholics!

There's no need to demonize radical islamists (although I cheerfully do it and will continue to do it because it is deserved and earned). They do that just fine by their own actions and words.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2010 - 12:05AM #57
mountain_man

Jun 16, 2010 -- 10:51PM, rangerken wrote:

Come on now, mountain_man. There is a big difference between Muslims and radical islamists.

No, there isn't. The last I checked both are still considered human beings.

Being opposed to radical islamists, or islamism when it refers to them, is not being anti-muslim! Being opposed to pedophile priests isn't being opposed to all catholics!

I've explained this several times already.

There's no need to demonize radical islamists (although I cheerfully do it and will continue to do it because it is deserved and earned). They do that just fine by their own actions and words.

Just so you realize that your demonization of them is absolutely no different than their demonizing of you.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2010 - 9:55AM #58
Christianlib

Just so you realize that your demonization of them is absolutely no  different than their demonizing of you.

Boy, do some folks need that written on a piece of paper then can carry around in their pockets and read frequently.

And not just about Muslims.  It is applicable to any "you" and any "them."

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2010 - 10:15AM #59
browbeaten

Jun 17, 2010 -- 9:55AM, Christianlib wrote:

Just so you realize that your demonization of them is absolutely no  different than their demonizing of you.

Boy, do some folks need that written on a piece of paper then can carry around in their pockets and read frequently.

And not just about Muslims.  It is applicable to any "you" and any "them."

I have absolutely no problem with the idea that some people just need to be removed from this earth.  I have no problem drawing distinctions between good and evil.  If you think that is playing G-d, so be it, but it doesn't change the fact that I believe in it and will act on it.  I strongly feel that there are those who cannot help themselves, so they will take it out on others.  Much like a sexual predator.  I hope you find comfort with the thought that all people are equal and should be treated in the same manner, but if I were you, I wouldn't run with that attitude into the wrong crowd. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2010 - 10:16AM #60
Christianlib

boy did you misread my post, BB.

Something I've come to expect.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 82  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 82 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook