Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 11 of 11  •  Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11
Switch to Forum Live View Public School Prayer (branched off from 'A Gracious God')
7 years ago  ::  Jun 19, 2010 - 4:56PM #101
Beautiful_Dreamer

Damn...how was he able to sit for the exam? Meaning, how was he allowed to? Or do you just register and not have to mention college?

I used to want to be a lawyer, now glad I didn't try...I also have ADHD and honestly I didn't want a job where I'd be working 80 hours a week the way some of the younger lawyers have to...especially family law, which would have been my specialty.

More where that came from...

Writing I get paid to do

Beliefnet Community Host - Christian Faith and Life, Christian to Christian Debate
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2010 - 11:34AM #102
NahumS

"Sanctity" is indeed a religious word. Call it "the ultimate and absolute value" of human life. And few children actually give birth in school. Obviously - different people with different perspectives will apply values differently. What's important to me is the basic value, a sensitivity to the value of life.

These are indeed universal values - but their root is Judaism - or call it the Judeo-Christian tradition if that makes you feel better. That's the point - our society is founded on values that were originally Biblical. It is only to everyone's credit that they are accepted as universal today.

I want to see them reinforced in schools. I want to see the school as a place that participates in child-raising by instilling positive values, not just teaching "material". Teachers, parents and administration have to use strategic thinking to figure out how to do this best. It's true that this is basically the parents' role - but school and parents have to work in partnership. Obviously, in a public school, religious training must be totally left in the hands of the parents and their place of worship. But the goal of schools must be to turn out good people, not just graduates with a diploma.

Here in Israel, in both religious and secular schools, there is significant effort put into values education. Love of the land, community service, and helping the needy and handicapped are all part of the education program. In religious schools these are emphasized as religious values, and other values are stressed as well, often using our classical sources, the Bible and other sacred literature. Even in secular schools you can see posters saying "Love thy neighbor..."

I don't think that prayer is necessary to instill basic human values. I suspect that prayer can be mechanical and a rote experience, especially in school. But I do not see anything wrong, constitutionally or otherwise, in setting a side a few minutes for personal reflection at the start of the school day. Let the schools decide whether it adds to the positive atmosphere or not. Make it optional, if that's an issue, and offer the option before the bell rings.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2010 - 4:00PM #103
nieciedo

Jun 20, 2010 -- 11:34AM, NahumS wrote:

These are indeed universal values - but their root is Judaism - or call it the Judeo-Christian tradition if that makes you feel better. That's the point - our society is founded on values that were originally Biblical. It is only to everyone's credit that they are accepted as universal today.

but one of their roots is Judaism*

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 11 of 11  •  Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook