Switch to Forum Live View How often do you read your Bible?
5 years ago  ::  May 07, 2010 - 11:17AM #1
Phantasm

I've been getting into the habit of reading it three times a week, Suday after church, Tuesday and Thursday, anywhere between half and hour to an hour.

How 'bout the rest of you?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 08, 2010 - 12:56AM #2
Phantasm

Don't read too much into the OP.  Seriously, I was just trying to make conversation.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 10, 2010 - 12:38AM #3
Stardove

I grew up reading the Bible and memorizing scriptures.  I have read the Bible like a book started with Chapter 1 and ending with Revelations.  I discovered a lot of things by reading the entire Bible this way. Many things had never been taught in any church I attended. 

Today I don't have a daily habit of reading, but will look up scriptures when there is a need.  Several versions of my Bibles have come apart from so many years of wear and tear.  I make notes in the back to be able to find certain scriptures.  I've highlighted the Living Bible in hot pink....think that was during the 40 days of Lent and certain scriptures were read each day.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The sun rises every morning and sheds light, vanquishing the night's darkness. The rooster also rises every morning only, unlike the sun, he simply makes noise. But the darkness of the night is dispelled by sunshine, not by the rooster's crowing.The world can use more light and less noise. Where I can, I want to be light.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 10, 2010 - 11:07AM #4
Phantasm

When I was a child I was taught by my Mom and my sunday school teachers to underline "critical" verses in the Bible.  I dropped the practice when I was in my mid-teens.  It came to the point where I was underlining some 10 verses at a stretch in certain places.  I still have the last Bible I was underlining stuff in and I don't touch it much anymore.  It's a Student Bible NIV, and the only reason I keep it around is for the commentary in the introductions to the Books and stuff like that.

I have the CEV and the ESV, which I have not touched with a pen.  I've learned to let the text speak for itself, and not just call attention to the stuff we're told in church to pay attention to.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 18, 2010 - 8:05AM #5
Simonh

I'm a bit like Spong and Borg in that I read my Bible often and treasure it (though not literally of course, lol).

I detest the NIV but go for the NRSV instead.

I don't underline or write notes either as this draws my eye away from other things so that I don't appreciate the whole of the text

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2010 - 7:36PM #6
Gwalchmai60

I couldn't agree with you more, Simonh about versions of the Bible.

The NRSV is the Bible most widely used in scholarly circles.

Moreover, Biblical scholars worth their salt, have no use whatsoever for the NIV.

As far as reading my Bible, I read it every morning and follow the Roman Catholic Lectionary, which gives a reading from the Hebrew Scriptures, a Psalm and a Gospel passage each day.  Then I do a reflection and have prayer.

Interestingly, a number of mainline Protestant denominations also use the Lectionary, which they "borrowed" from Catholicism.

Thanks for posting and for letting me comment.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2010 - 11:59PM #7
Stardove

Gwalchmai60,

We meet again.  Welcome to the Progressive Christians forum.  I hope you will enjoy the time you spend here.  It is always good to have new Progressive Christians join the forum.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The sun rises every morning and sheds light, vanquishing the night's darkness. The rooster also rises every morning only, unlike the sun, he simply makes noise. But the darkness of the night is dispelled by sunshine, not by the rooster's crowing.The world can use more light and less noise. Where I can, I want to be light.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2011 - 12:03AM #8
Holly3278

I don't hardly ever read my Bible.  I used to be a fundamentalist Christian (though admittedly I just came out of a phase of being a "fundamentalist" Catholic).  For a long while I was mostly only going to a Catholic Mass.  I figured that the once a week reading from the Bible that I got there was sufficient for me.

The only problem I have with hearing the Bible read aloud every week at Mass is the fact that a priest is required to have his homily be in line with official Catholic teaching.  If it is not in line with Catholic teaching, he can be disciplined somehow.  I personally don't agree with that and that is one of the reasons why I left Catholicism.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 31, 2011 - 11:53PM #9
Ben Masada

[How often do I read my Bible?]

Daily

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 31, 2011 - 11:57PM #10
Ben Masada

Aug 18, 2010 -- 8:05AM, Simonh wrote:

I'm a bit like Spong and Borg in that I read my Bible often and treasure it (though not literally of course, lol).

I detest the NIV but go for the NRSV instead.

I don't underline or write notes either as this draws my eye away from other things so that I don't appreciate the whole of the text

What do you know about Spong? Are you talking about Bishop Spong, the one who made a deep research about the thorn on Paul's flesh being his struggle with repressed homosexuality?

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook