Post Reply
Switch to Forum Live View OT: A Covenant for Civility
4 years ago  ::  May 04, 2010 - 1:20AM #1
moksha8088
Posts: 4,994

 





I was just curious as to your take on the desirability to remain civil in public discourse. What do you think of these ideas listed below?





1) We commit that our dialogue with each other will reflect the spirit of the Scriptures, where our posture toward each other is to be “quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry” (James 1:19).

2) We believe that each of us, and our fellow human beings, are created in the image of God. The respect we owe to God should be reflected in the honor and respect we show to each other in our common humanity, particularly in how we speak to each other. With the tongue we bless the Lord and Father, and with it we curse those who are made in the likeness of God …. this ought not to be so” (James 3:9, 10).

3) We pledge that when we disagree, we will do so respectfully, without falsely impugning the other’s motives, attacking the other’s character, or questioning the other’s faith, and recognizing in humility that in our limited, human opinions, “we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror” (1 Corinthians 13:12). We will therefore “be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love” (Ephesians 4:2).

4) We will ever be mindful of the language we use in expressing our disagreements, being neither arrogant nor boastful in our beliefs: “Before destruction one’s heart is haughty, but humility goes before honor” (Proverbs 18:12).

5) We recognize that we cannot function together as citizens of the same community, whether local or national, unless we are mindful of how we treat each other in pursuit of the common good in the common life we share together. Each of us must therefore “put off falsehood and speak truthfully to his neighbor, for we are all members of one body” (Ephesians 4:25).

6) We commit to pray for our political leaders—those with whom we may agree, as well as those with whom we may disagree. “I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made … for kings and all who are in high positions” (1 Timothy 2:1-2).

7) We believe that it is more difficult to hate others, even our adversaries and our enemies, when we are praying for them. We commit to pray for each other, those with whom we agree and those with whom we may disagree, so that together we may strive to be faithful witnesses to our Lord, who prayed “ that they may be one” (John 17:22).





This would certainly interfere with business as usual, would it not?


Further reading if interested: Sojourners : Faith in Action
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 04, 2010 - 2:21AM #2
Aka_me
Posts: 12,319

May 4, 2010 -- 1:20AM, moksha8088 wrote:

This would certainly interfere  with business as usual, would it not?



how so?


I thought we are civil?


just because you disagree with me (that we ARE civil)... doesn't make you UNcivil, does it?


a logically sound point against the church... is not an attack aimed at an individual.


would you agree, that you are not the church?


yer you and you happen to believe what the church says is the purest gospel truth that exists.


the only true and living church on earth


is naturally going to create discussion based on difference of opinion.

happy will be the day that my tax dollars are not killing innocent women and children in war crimes and crimes against humanity as we shove our head up each other's WhoHa thinking our ends justifies our means while demonizing the enemy for doing the same, when it is we who are the original terrorists. and have an active role creating today's turmoil.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 04, 2010 - 8:27AM #3
Svetlana
Posts: 11,308

I like it, Moksha, but it is part and parcel of the way I was raised so it seems a restatement of the obvious.  (That does NOT mean I necessarily obey that upbringing all the time, merely that I already know all this.)  I think it's a sad reflection on our culture that such basics need to be spelled out to adults.  Weren't ALL of us raised to treat everyone with respect?

"No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it."  ~ (common sense)

"Never place a period where God has placed a comma."  ~ Gracie Allen

"I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"I wonder sometimes if we ever give God a headache." ~ Dontay Hall, age 8
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 04, 2010 - 11:34AM #4
Aka_me
Posts: 12,319

May 4, 2010 -- 8:27AM, Svetlana wrote:

I like it, Moksha, but it is part and parcel of the way I was raised so it seems a restatement of the obvious.  (That does NOT mean I necessarily obey that upbringing all the time, merely that I already know all this.)  I think it's a sad reflection on our culture that such basics need to be spelled out to adults.  Weren't ALL of us raised to treat everyone with respect?



I think it is the ONLY means we have to combat the jackalopes who protest at military funerals.


to unite around civility is great because if 95% of the religous community could all be joining hands it makes it more obvious who ISN'T trying to be peace builders... which then paints them as bullies.


join the club or stand out like a sore thumb.


when we all join together against racism, it wipes out any ability for the KKK to recruit.

happy will be the day that my tax dollars are not killing innocent women and children in war crimes and crimes against humanity as we shove our head up each other's WhoHa thinking our ends justifies our means while demonizing the enemy for doing the same, when it is we who are the original terrorists. and have an active role creating today's turmoil.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 27, 2010 - 3:51PM #5
BillThinks4Himself
Posts: 3,207

May 4, 2010 -- 11:34AM, Aka_me wrote:


May 4, 2010 -- 8:27AM, Svetlana wrote:

I like it, Moksha, but it is part and parcel of the way I was raised so it seems a restatement of the obvious.  (That does NOT mean I necessarily obey that upbringing all the time, merely that I already know all this.)  I think it's a sad reflection on our culture that such basics need to be spelled out to adults.  Weren't ALL of us raised to treat everyone with respect?



 


I think it is the ONLY means we have to combat the jackalopes who protest at military funerals.


 


to unite around civility is great because if 95% of the religous community could all be joining hands it makes it more obvious who ISN'T trying to be peace builders... which then paints them as bullies.


 


join the club or stand out like a sore thumb.


 


when we all join together against racism, it wipes out any ability for the KKK to recruit.



I would be willing to go to jail to beat the bejesus out of people who show up to other people's funerals - especially those of servicemen who've died - and desecrate the living and the dead.  I just think such actions are so low, they need more than a denunciation.  I think, in this respect, John Brown had the right idea.

Quick Reply
Cancel
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook