Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 3 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Sticky: The "Crazy Cat Lady's" Cafe (general chit-chat)
8 years ago  ::  May 13, 2010 - 12:39PM #21
rocketjsquirell

Did any one else love Puck and Mercedes singing The Lady Is A Tramp? And did tramp used to mean something else, because the song does not describe what one would think of as a tramp. 

Wasn't Kurt singing Everything's Coming Up Roses (Kurt) from Gypsy great? It was even better than Ethyl Merman!

Did you see that next week's Glee is directed by Joss Whedon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, etc...)? I wonder if he is going to give it a sci-fi, fantasy flair. Can't wait to see.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  May 14, 2010 - 6:52AM #22
river8101

Doesn't anyone here have dogs?  Or am I off topic?

Well, I have one cat.  I had 2, but one was killed by a dog, and we couldn't find her for about 2 days.  Then I found her in the storm drain thingy in the front of the house.  She was unable to get out, but she was still alive. When she heard me she sound so pitiful.  She meowed and meowed, and I called the fire dept. but a neighbor came and was able to get her out.  The vet tried to save her but it was too late. Two days later, she died.  I was crushed.   The cat I had before her was a Burmese and loved the storm drain.  She always went down there in the summer because it was so cool. She never got fat.   She lived until she about 19 years old, though my daughter claims she was 15 or 16.  We can never agree on that.  I know I got her in about 1972, but I can't remember the year she died.  It was right after my son came home from college.

Then a friend gave us a little kitten. I named her Ursula.  She's the one who got bit by the dog.  We don't know which dog got her.  There are a few who run lose around here.  But she could always jump up on something, even though she got very fat.   Our final cat, whom we have now I named Curmudgeon.  I don't know why.  My daughter's husband found her locked in a crate outside in the rain.  She was very thin and meowing to be rescued.  He brought her back home, but my daughter's other cat attacked her, so she gave her to me.  We took her to the vet right away, got her shots and stuff, and now she still lives with us.  She's very shy and only lets us pet her.  She also bites. so we don't pet her very much, but we love her.  We never let her out. In fact unlike my other 2 cats, she's afraid to go out.    She's a nice cat.  Orange and white, very quiet and has the run of the house.  She swats my one little dog sometimes, whose afraid of her, but the other little dog doesn't pay much attention to her, nor her to him. 

Soon we will be forced to move from this lovely home. I've lived here many years, raised (and showed) many dogs,  and I dread leaving. I'm so afraid we won't be able to find a place that will take pets.  This is a very fearful time for me.

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  May 14, 2010 - 7:00AM #23
river8101

Rocket, I bought Lady and the Tramp DVD for my grandkids.  That was Peggy Lee singing "He's a Tramp."   I think she wrote it too. 

I don't know anything about Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, or Glee. 

Everything's Coming Up Roses was sung by Ethel Merman in the Broadway Show.  She played Mama. But Rosalind Russel played her in the film.  I liked her better.  The last 2 shows I saw on stage were Phantom and Evita.  Saw them in DC.  I just loved them. 

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  May 14, 2010 - 7:16PM #24
rocketjsquirell

Riv

I am so sorry about your cat. We currently have one cat and one dog (which is the usual state of things at our house) and I could not contemplate life without them (I think my wife feels the same way but I shouldn't speak for her).

I hope you get a nice new place that allows pets. Pets help keep people healthy and sane. More and more of the apartment complexes and condominiums around here seem to be allowing pets, so I hope it is the same wherever you are. If you can, take your time and find the right place for you and your pets. 

Rocket   

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  May 15, 2010 - 10:47AM #25
Beautiful_Dreamer

May 13, 2010 -- 12:39PM, rocketjsquirell wrote:

Did any one else love Puck and Mercedes singing The Lady Is A Tramp? And did tramp used to mean something else, because the song does not describe what one would think of as a tramp. 

Wasn't Kurt singing Everything's Coming Up Roses (Kurt) from Gypsy great? It was even better than Ethyl Merman!

Did you see that next week's Glee is directed by Joss Whedon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, etc...)? I wonder if he is going to give it a sci-fi, fantasy flair. Can't wait to see.

Oh yes, I loved that!!! I guess 'tramp' wasn't an insult when that song was written? And while few people can measure up to the original performers of the song, I was happy to hear 'One'. I don't think they measured up to U2 at all, but it's a nice song. Johnny Cash also did a version of it.

More where that came from...

Writing I get paid to do

Beliefnet Community Host - Christian Faith and Life, Christian to Christian Debate
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  May 15, 2010 - 10:57AM #26
Beautiful_Dreamer
And River, I like dogs, but we don't have one here. I'm more of a cat person, but we don't have the right kind of yard for a dog. I think dogs need to be able to run around outside, and our yard slopes too much to be practical for a fence. The neighbor next door has the most adorable sheltie...he's so energetic! I think it's so cute and also a bit odd that he would go nuts when he saw me in my driveway when walking to the mailbox and run up to me, but would stop just short of allowing me to pet him. :)

Yes, I hope you find a place that will let you have pets. I couldn't imagine not having mine. They're members of the family!

Writing I get paid to do

Beliefnet Community Host - Christian Faith and Life, Christian to Christian Debate
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  May 19, 2010 - 7:06AM #27
river8101

Problem is that some people who own pets don't take care of their pets or their homes properly.   I know a couple who have several cats and 2 dogs.  As soon as you walk in, the whole house smells terrible.  I can't stand the way it smells.  They leave a cat box in the bathroom on the first floor, that's not cleaned regularly.  This is the guest bathroom.  Oh, it's awful. (We don't visit them anymore.) Some animals tear things up and are left to do so.  They used to have a nice house before they moved and it had no odor at all.  I don't think they had very many pets then.  Obviously they don't have much company now. 

I've had lots of dogs, but they don't mess up.  All my dogs were house trained as puppies.   Neither have my cats messed up.  But  a friend of mine moved in for a couple months, and she brought a cat she found where she used to live.  I told her not to bring the cat, but she brought it anyway as we already had one.  Well, it tore up my furniture something awful and it bit Tim really badly. I think it was feral.  She found it in the woods.   Furniture couldn't be repaired, so we had to re-upholster the whole thing.  We had to pay for it, naturally.  We're not friends anymore.  For our inside cat, we have a cat box, and it's changed regularly.  It's not in the main part of the house, but in the back room.  There's no odor from it because it's changed regularly and out of site. The dogs are not allowed back there.  We have a louvered door, and we cut a whole in it big enough for the cat to go back and forth, but too small for the dogs.   We'd never put a cat box in the guest bathroom!  Yuk.   I think that's why some people don't like to rent their homes to pet owners.  Some pet owners are very careless.  

I only have 2 little dogs now Tibetan Spaniels, (tibbies) mother and daughter, and one cat.   I used to have mainly large dogs. We showed them and finished a German Shepherd champion.   Wow!  That was really neat, but took a lot of traveling. We showed dogs for several years.  We took in rescued dogs too.   But these little dogs I have now are dear to me, and getting very old.  I could never give them up if I have to move.  Also if you have large dogs, you need a large yard.  You can't keep a large dog cooped up in a little space.  Not fair to the dog. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  May 19, 2010 - 1:23PM #28
rocketjsquirell

Riv

You are so right. We keep the litter box in the basement and clean it regularly. We only have one large dog and a smallish yard. But, we take her on at least 2 long walks (a couple of miles) a day and keep her in a doggie agility program to make sure she gets enough exercise. (It helps me get exercise too - which is a side benefit to having a dog)

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  May 19, 2010 - 3:45PM #29
Beautiful_Dreamer

River, do you know if there's something I could use for compost to feed the bushes...like used coffee or tea grounds, or similar? I've heard of that but hadn't tried it.

Writing I get paid to do

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  May 20, 2010 - 1:13PM #30
rocketjsquirell

BD

Coffee grounds are very high in nitrogen. It is better to add the coffee grounds to your compost pile (which should be made up of mostly ground up fall leaves) and let the pile turn to compost and then use the finished compost to fertilize your plants. If you do not have a compost file, look for YARD WASTE COMPOST (not composted manure or sewage compost). Many towns compost the fall leaves they collect and offer the finished compost free to their residents. Check with your town, why pay for something you can get free!

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 2 guests
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook