Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Was Pope Complicit Aiding Pedophiles?
4 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2010 - 3:20PM #1
johndavid23

Was the Pope complicit in aiding and abetting pedophiles?

More Evidence Emerges That Pope Benedict Helped Shield Pedophiles Before He Became Pope

As it becomes more obvious that the Pope used his Vatican authority to stall and obfuscate charges of pedophilia against RCC priests, does his enabling priests to abuse hundreds more children, maybe thousands, imply complicity with a code which encouraged/enabled pedophilia?  Is it any better to help a pedophile to abuse than to commit the abuse?  Or worse?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2010 - 3:26PM #2
Erey

Apr 5, 2010 -- 3:20PM, johndavid23 wrote:

More Evidence Emerges That Pope Benedict Helped Shield Pedophiles Before He Became Pope

As it becomes more obvious that the Pope used his Vatican authority to stall and obfuscate charges of pedophilia against RCC priests, does his enabling priests to abuse hundreds more children, maybe thousands, imply complicity with a code which encouraged/enabled pedophilia?  Is it any better to help a pedophile to abuse than to commit the abuse?  Or worse?

Probably, but I think pretty much the entire catholic machine did that - which includes paritioners and priests alike

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2010 - 3:37PM #3
Druac

Apr 5, 2010 -- 3:26PM, Erey wrote:

Probably, but I think pretty much the entire catholic machine did that - which includes paritioners and priests alike

+1 No doubt.

Jesus Is My Savior...He Saves Me From REALITY!
---------------------------------------------
We created god in our own image and likeness!
[George Carlin]
---------------------------------------------
"Reason & Logic" - A Damn Good Slogan!
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2010 - 4:03PM #4
Christianlib

Was the use of "partitioners" a typo?  Did you mean "parishioners"?  Or is there a use of partitioners I am not familiar with?

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2010 - 4:05PM #5
religionfree

This section from the article at the opening post, simply says it all.

The church considers cases of abuse in confessionals more serious than other molestations because they also defile the sacrament of penance.

Teta was accused of engaging in abuse not long after his arrival to the Diocese of Tucson in 1978. Among the eventual allegations: that he molested two boys, ages 7 and 9, in the confessional as they prepared for their First Communion.

"The tragedy is that the bishops have only two choices: Follow the Vatican's code of secrecy and delay, or leave the church," Cadigan, the victims' lawyer, said Friday. "It's unfortunate that their faith demands that they sacrifice children to follow the Vatican's directions."

"When I don't know who I Am, I follow You
When I know who I am, You & I are One"

Namaste
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2010 - 4:12PM #6
Jasr

Apr 5, 2010 -- 4:03PM, Christianlib wrote:

Was the use of "partitioners" a typo?  Did you mean "parishioners"?  Or is there a use of partitioners I am not familiar with?

I sure hope you didn't mean "parisioners," because being a parishioner myself I more than resent the implication.

The election of Ratzinger confirmed for me that my church is being guided...or rather misguided...at a very high level by men whose feet are thoroughly caked with clay.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2010 - 4:24PM #7
Christianlib

Apr 5, 2010 -- 4:12PM, Jasr wrote:

Apr 5, 2010 -- 4:03PM, Christianlib wrote:

I sure hope you didn't mean "parisioners," because being a parishioner myself I more than resent the implication.

The election of Ratzinger confirmed for me that my church is being guided...or rather misguided...at a very high level by men whose feet are thoroughly caked with clay.

Whatch talking about, Willis?  I didn't spell it without an "H"

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2010 - 4:42PM #8
Jasr

Apr 5, 2010 -- 4:24PM, Christianlib wrote:

Actually the question was directed to Erey...I suspect that she really means pastor (i.e.my priest), rather than parishioner (i.e. me).

And speaking for my parish priest...my current priest is from India, and seems to be quite bewildered by the whole thing, which does not surprise me since the abuse seems to be mostly a phenomenon of churches in developed countries.

And my immediate past priest was a New Englander of French Canadian descent, was utterly horrified, since he had been to seminary with a couple of the odious men that Cardinal Law coddled. Father G devoted several homilies to confronting the horror and apologizing for it.

Neither is even remotely to blame for the scandal.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2010 - 4:47PM #9
Erey

Apr 5, 2010 -- 4:42PM, Jasr wrote:

Apr 5, 2010 -- 4:24PM, Christianlib wrote:

Actually the question was directed to Erey...I suspect that she really means pastor (i.e.my priest), rather than parishioner (i.e. me).

And speaking for my parish priest...my current priest is from India, and seems to be quite bewildered by the whole thing, which does not surprise me since the abuse seems to be mostly a phenomenon of churches in developed countries.

And my immediate past priest was a New Englander of French Canadian descent, was utterly horrified, since he had been to seminary with a couple of the odious men that Cardinal Law coddled. Father G devoted several homilies to confronting the horror and apologizing for it.

Neither is even remotely to blame for the scandal.

I am a lousy speller.  I meant priest and congregants - the catholic machine as it were, all the little cogs in the wheel.

Mind you I admire catholicism, it has many lovely aspects but it appears to me that the predatory priests were in everyone's concious and subconcious minds but nobody wanted to face it head on. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2010 - 4:50PM #10
Jasr

Thank you for your admiration for my faith tradition...and I largely agree with you.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook