Post Reply
Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next
5 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2010 - 8:56AM #1
Jupiter6208
Posts: 2,383

What would be your definition of Progressive Christianity?

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry



You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2010 - 10:33AM #2
Zeeking
Posts: 26

Having very recently discovered this movement, I am not sure that I can offer a meaningful definition. However, in a nutshell, it appears to be a form of Christianity that, while believing in the awesome message of Jesus Christ, does not tie itself to a literal interpretation of the bible as THE (only?) word of God. In my short experience, progressives seem to be open to the idea that the bible can be interpreted, and that God might even speak to us via other channels. The use of the bible as justification to judge and condemn also seems to be lacking, which I find tremendously refreshing.


 


I will be curious how other members define it. (good question!)

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2010 - 12:53PM #3
grampawombat
Posts: 269

I don't think there is much to be gained by trying to define "Progressive Christianity," as there really is no such thing. There are progressive Christians in many Protestant denominations and in the Roman Catholic church. According to the information on the "Progressive Christian" board progressives are those who call themselves Christians but do not consider the Bible to be inerrant and do not consider their beliefs the only ones that will lead to a successful afterlife. (or something like that)

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2010 - 2:52PM #4
Ralph.m
Posts: 159

Jan 16, 2010 -- 10:33AM, Zeeking wrote:


Having very recently discovered this movement, I am not sure that I can offer a meaningful definition. However, in a nutshell, it appears to be a form of Christianity that, while believing in the awesome message of Jesus Christ, does not tie itself to a literal interpretation of the bible as THE (only?) word of God. In my short experience, progressives seem to be open to the idea that the bible can be interpreted, and that God might even speak to us via other channels. The use of the bible as justification to judge and condemn also seems to be lacking, which I find tremendously refreshing.


 


I will be curious how other members define it. (good question!)



Speaking from the perspective of an atheist, I hope Progressive Christians are able to push back against the forces of fundamentalism that feed off of fear and resentment. I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but moderates are getting shot at from all sides. The most surprising discovery I've made over the last year is to discover that  atheist and secular humanist groups have become dominated by the secular fundamentalists, often referred to as the New Atheists. 


Nowadays it's not just religious fundamentalists who are trying to isolate their groups from cooperating with others; now the same uncompromising way of thinking permeates secular humanism, and progressive secularists have to fight back against the influence of Dawkins, Harris & Hitchens, who view all forms of religious belief as harmful, and only want to talk about eradicating religion.


 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 30, 2010 - 6:43AM #5
Iwantamotto
Posts: 8,505

I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but moderates are getting shot at from all sides.


Amen, but I have to wonder if that's not a requirement of being "middle of the road", LOL.

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 30, 2010 - 3:54PM #6
Ralph.m
Posts: 159

For myself, it came as a bit of a shock to see that people who claim to be using reason and rational skepticism to find answers, are as guilty of tribalism as religious communities.


Moderates seem to complicate things for idealogues of all stripes. Christian fundamentalists do not want moderates raising doubts or shifting interpretations, and New Atheists prefer to debate with theists who consider their beliefs to be scientific claims.  When Sam Harris said that he had more respect for fundamentalists than religious liberals, it was an indication that secular fundamentalists want to debate people who make easy, straightforward arguments to deal with.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2010 - 11:38AM #7
Stardove
Posts: 15,997

Jan 30, 2010 -- 3:54PM, Ralph.m wrote:


For myself, it came as a bit of a shock to see that people who claim to be using reason and rational skepticism to find answers, are as guilty of tribalism as religious communities.


....................



Ralph,



Welcome to this debate area of Beliefnet call Discuss Progressive Christianity.  I hope you will enjoy the time you spend here.


Host ~ Stardove

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The sun rises every morning and sheds light, vanquishing the night's darkness. The rooster also rises every morning only, unlike the sun, he simply makes noise. But the darkness of the night is dispelled by sunshine, not by the rooster's crowing.The world can use more light and less noise. Where I can, I want to be light.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 01, 2010 - 11:29PM #8
SeraphimR
Posts: 10,339

Jan 30, 2010 -- 6:43AM, Iwantamotto wrote:


I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but moderates are getting shot at from all sides.


Amen, but I have to wonder if that's not a requirement of being "middle of the road", LOL.




But I've never seen a Progressive Christian criticize a New Atheist. 


Is this the liberal axiom, "No enemies on the left"?

People with a mission to save the earth want the earth to seem worse than it is so their mission will look more important.


P.J. O'Rourke
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 01, 2010 - 11:42PM #9
SeraphimR
Posts: 10,339

After years of careful study I think I can define Progressive Christianity as opposed to mere Christianity.


Progressive Christians believe in Progress.


They think the moderns are better than the ancients.


They are much too modern to believe in miracles and Virgin Births and Resurrection and congradulate themselves on how smart they are.  At least atheists, who have an identical worldview in this regard have the decency to not call themselves Christians.


This is why I respect atheists more than Progressive Christians.  You know where you stand when you deal with an atheist.  After shaking hands with a Proggy, you had best count your fingers.


 

People with a mission to save the earth want the earth to seem worse than it is so their mission will look more important.


P.J. O'Rourke
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2010 - 11:31AM #10
Stardove
Posts: 15,997

Feb 1, 2010 -- 11:42PM, SeraphimR wrote:


After years of careful study I think I can define Progressive Christianity as opposed to mere Christianity.


Progressive Christians believe in Progress.


They think the moderns are better than the ancients.


They are much too modern to believe in miracles and Virgin Births and Resurrection and congradulate themselves on how smart they are.  At least atheists, who have an identical worldview in this regard have the decency to not call themselves Christians.


This is why I respect atheists more than Progressive Christians.  You know where you stand when you deal with an atheist.  After shaking hands with a Proggy, you had best count your fingers.


 



I must say your post does not describe my beliefs as a Progressive Christian.  I have stood witness to healing miracles. 


As to virgin births many Masters we are told were born of virgins.  The particular story is older than Jesus' birth.


Please understand not all Progressive Christians even believe the same things.  We each take what feel correct to us.  There is no one size fits all when it comes to beliefs.  IMO.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The sun rises every morning and sheds light, vanquishing the night's darkness. The rooster also rises every morning only, unlike the sun, he simply makes noise. But the darkness of the night is dispelled by sunshine, not by the rooster's crowing.The world can use more light and less noise. Where I can, I want to be light.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook