Page 4 of 14  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Pat Robertson Calls Haiti Earthquake "Blessing In Disguise" - Your thoughts?
4 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2010 - 4:37PM #31
TemplarS

Well, as I said before, his supporters are a subpercentage of the American population; that being said, there are something like 750,000 who watch his show, and if he convinces them  all to fork over some bucks  it'll keep him in business.

But he's a side show, preaching to his own choir, if anything slowly dwindling in influence.

As I said someplace else, he doesn't deserve the attention he gets. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2010 - 4:39PM #32
TemplarS

Jan 15, 2010 -- 1:34PM, Douglas_macneill wrote:

The simplest way to demonstrate my feelings on this topic would be to compare Pat Robertson's answer to that of Michaelle Jean (Governor General of Canada at the time of writing; her family fled repression in Haiti to seek a new life in Canada).

Michaelle Jean

Pat Robertson:

That's the most sensible thing I've ever heard Pat Robertson say.  Though I would have expected Michaelle Jean to be a bit more loquacious.

(Sorry, coudln't resist).

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2010 - 10:47PM #33
karbie

I'm glad that you didn't resist. I think the blessing he's viewing is getting free media attention to prove to his followers that he is actually someone important. He's just  a media slut who will say anything to get attention.

Her grief and shock were obvious; his smugness deplorable. Did you see the look on the other reporter's face when Pat called this a blessing for Haiti? His shocked denial never even registered.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2010 - 7:37PM #34
CharikIeia

Jan 15, 2010 -- 10:47PM, karbie wrote:

He's just  a media slut who will say anything to get attention.

When doomsday addicts get old, they want to see the end of the show - and quickly!

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2010 - 10:40PM #35
koolpoi

Robertson has done a great service by saying what some Christians think but won't say in public.There are other Christians who disagree with him but believe in a theology which makes Robertson's conclusions logical.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2010 - 6:30AM #36
sydneymoon

Jan 16, 2010 -- 10:40PM, koolpoi wrote:

Robertson has done a great service by saying what some Christians think but won't say in public.There are other Christians who disagree with him but believe in a theology which makes Robertson's conclusions logical.

Sorry, but his brand of theology is nothing remotely close to what I have come to understand. There is nothing logical in what he has said.

Margaret Mead: "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2010 - 6:36AM #37
sydneymoon

Not quite C.S. Lewis (The Screwtape Letters), but Ms. Lily Coyle has authored an entertaining letter from satan:

Dear Pat Robertson,

I know that you know that all press is good press, so I appreciate the shout-out. And you make God look like a big mean bully who kicks people when they are down, so I'm all over that action.

But when you say that Haiti has made a pact with me, it is totally humiliating. I may be evil incarnate, but I'm no welcher. The way you put it, making a deal with me leaves folks desperate and impoverished.

Sure, in the afterlife, but when I strike bargains with people, they first get something here on earth -- glamour, beauty, talent, wealth, fame, glory, a golden fiddle. Those Haitians have nothing, and I mean nothing. And that was before the earthquake. Haven't you seen "Crossroads"? Or "Damn Yankees"?

If I had a thing going with Haiti, there'd be lots of banks, skyscrapers, SUVs, exclusive night clubs, Botox -- that kind of thing. An 80 percent poverty rate is so not my style. Nothing against it -- I'm just saying: Not how I roll.

You're doing great work, Pat, and I don't want to clip your wings -- just, come on, you're making me look bad. And not the good kind of bad. Keep blaming God. That's working. But leave me out of it, please. Or we may need to renegotiate your own contract.

Best, Satan

www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2010/01/the...

Margaret Mead: "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2010 - 12:57PM #38
mainecaptain

Oh Sydney, thanks for that. That was great!

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2010 - 2:14PM #39
Wendyness

Let's send Pat Robertson to Haiti and make him dig the graves.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2010 - 6:35PM #40
LeahOne

Wendyness, why what a horrible thing to suggest!!!!  Those poor people in Haiti had next to nothing to begin with, everything is in ruins and there's no food or water even - and you want to send them one of America's worst pious pustules????

Maybe if we could get the old hound 'debarked' first......

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 14  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook