Post Reply
Page 1 of 14  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Pat Robertson Calls Haiti Earthquake "Blessing In Disguise" - Your thoughts?
5 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2010 - 1:45AM #1
Jeanninehunter
Posts: 168

During a broadcast of The 700 Club on the Christian Broadcasting Network, evangelist and television commentator Pat Robertson linked the 7.0 magnitude quake in Haiti to a pact with the devil.


"Something happened a long time ago in Haiti, and people might not want to talk about it," Robertson said on the show. "They were under the heel of the French ... and they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said, 'We will serve you if you'll get us free from the French.'

"True story. And the devil said, 'OK, it's a deal,' " Robertson said. "Ever since, they have been cursed by one thing after another." A link to an Associated Press video of the broadcast.


Later, in a statement in response to Robertson's comments, a CBN spokesman said he was referring to a slave rebellion that toppled colonists and ultimately resulted in independence.


"Dr. Robertson never stated that the earthquake was God’s wrath. If you watch the entire video segment, Dr. Robertson’s compassion for the people of Haiti is clear. He called for prayer for them," added Chris Roslan. "His humanitarian arm has been working to help thousands of people in Haiti over the last year, and they are currently launching a major relief and recovery effort to help the victims of this disaster." To read the full statement, click here.


Other resources: The Toussaint Louverture Historical Society and Haitian American Historical Society

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2010 - 4:45AM #2
jane2
Posts: 14,295


Jan 14, 2010 -- 1:45AM, Jeanninehunter wrote:


During a broadcast of The 700 Club on the Christian Broadcasting Network, evangelist and television commentator Pat Robertson linked the 7.0 magnitude quake in Haiti to a pact with the devil.


"Something happened a long time ago in Haiti, and people might not want to talk about it," Robertson said on the show. "They were under the heel of the French ... and they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said, 'We will serve you if you'll get us free from the French.'

"True story. And the devil said, 'OK, it's a deal,' " Robertson said. "Ever since, they have been cursed by one thing after another." A link to an Associated Press video of the broadcast.


Later, in a statement in response to Robertson's comments, a CBN spokesman said he was referring to a slave rebellion that toppled colonists and ultimately resulted in independence.


"Dr. Robertson never stated that the earthquake was God’s wrath. If you watch the entire video segment, Dr. Robertson’s compassion for the people of Haiti is clear. He called for prayer for them," added Chris Roslan. "His humanitarian arm has been working to help thousands of people in Haiti over the last year, and they are currently launching a major relief and recovery effort to help the victims of this disaster." To read the full statement, click here.


Other resources: The Toussaint Louverture Historical Society and Haitian American Historical Society




Pat Roberston has a screw loose. Haitians made a deal with the devil to rid them of French slave Masters? Sheer and utter popyycock. It was an uprising to throw the French nasties out.


Better charities of many faiths are already slotted to give aid to Haiti.


Robertson is terrified that the US under Obama will do the necessary in Haiti. Uh-oh after Bush flubbed it in New Orleans.


discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2010 - 7:03AM #3
costrel
Posts: 6,226

Jan 14, 2010 -- 1:45AM, Jeanninehunter wrote:

Later, in a statement in response to Robertson's comments, a CBN spokesman said he was referring to a slave rebellion that toppled colonists and ultimately resulted in independence.



I suppose it is possible that Robertson really does think that he is interpreting the Haitian Revolution from a biblical perspective -- for instance, from Paul's in Romans 13:1-2 ("Let every person be subordinate to the higher authorities, for there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been established by God. Therefore, whoever resists authority opposes what God has appointed, and those who oppose it will bring judgment upon themselves" NAB), but those of us who view history as a secular (and even atheistic) cause-and-effect process rather than the fulfillment of prophecy can and do reject his biblical interpretation of events as stupid, assine, and worthless.


If one wants to view the Haitian Revolution as the people making a pact with the devil, then one could also say the same thing about the American Colonies rebelling against England and its Christian king who ruled by Divine Right.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2010 - 8:21AM #4
REteach
Posts: 14,747

Total looney tunes with some prideful evil thrown in for good measure.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2010 - 8:45AM #5
TemplarS
Posts: 6,865

When I first heard this, I assumed he was talking about Voodoo.


Actually, he probably was.  The other statement was probably the inevitable attempt at after the fact damage control.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2010 - 9:45AM #6
mecdukebec
Posts: 14,712

Brother Pat, I gather, finds slavery okay (It's approved in the New Testament, after all:  Onesimus, the slave, is sent back by St-Paul to his owner, Philemon, e.g.).  What intrigued me more, however, was the suggestion implicit in Robertson's "opinion" that the French had God going for 'em:  I mean, conservatives have despised the French for opposing the Iraq war (Think:  "liberty cabbage" in 1917 and now "freedom fries" in 2003.) and having a socialist, godless, health system, and now Pat puts le voo-doo on the side of African slaves and Mr Devil, and God on the side of the French.


Now that seems to be a sign of the End:  Brother Pat siding with the French. 

*******

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2010 - 10:31AM #7
Agnosticspirit
Posts: 9,244

I think Pat Robertson is an extremely dangerous man and his adherents who believe the hate that spills out of his mouth should be deprogrammed from the brainwashing that has obviously taken place of critical thinking. What's frightening is that people take him seriously.


I recognize that he doesn't speak for ALL Christians, only a small subset --- but he does make Christianity look pretty bad. Thanks to those Christians who have vocalized their extreme dissent from Pat's foaming little rants.


Pat's assumption that Haiti was founded by a pact with the devil must mean he doesn't approve of slaves revolting against their masters, hmm?  Does he still adhere to the bible nonsense about slaves obeying their masters?


The only blessing in disguise that may come out of this is that perhaps, people will be so fed up with the hate he expresses, that they'll change the channel in greater numbers when his loathsome face pops up, ad revenues will go down and his show will be cancelled.


I would be interested to know if any advertisers have yanked their spots from his show, anyone?


 

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

 Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2010 - 11:26AM #8
IreneAdler
Posts: 2,849

Let me get this straight.  A bunch of folks suffer a major calamity. People over the globe scramble to render aid, prayers, words of hope, etc. And hold their collective breath for any good news to come of this.  


 So this guy who has legions of fans? worshippers? or whatever, who dote on his every word and loads of money/resources that could make a difference in this situation, instead merely pronounces that the Haitian people are in some manner responsible for this tragedy?  That they aligned themselves with the Devil. They did it to themselves.


 Seems to me that if anyone is in league with the Devil, it’s Pat himself for uttering such hateful statements. I sure hope no one involved ever hears this horrible man’s horrible words.  He is reprehensible.


 Like to lock that man in a room with five minutes of air and let him pronounce until he expires.


 


Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2010 - 11:37AM #9
Ken
Posts: 33,859

Jan 14, 2010 -- 10:31AM, Agnosticspirit wrote:

I recognize that he doesn't speak for ALL Christians, only a small subset --- but he does make Christianity look pretty bad.  



I gather that it's a small and dwindling subset. The average age of a Pat Robertson fan is about 83.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2010 - 11:39AM #10
Christianlib
Posts: 21,848

Jan 14, 2010 -- 11:37AM, Ken wrote:


Jan 14, 2010 -- 10:31AM, Agnosticspirit wrote:

I recognize that he doesn't speak for ALL Christians, only a small subset --- but he does make Christianity look pretty bad.  



I gather that it's a small and dwindling subset. The average age of a Pat Robertson fan is about 83.




 


And that number is higher than their average IQ.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 14  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook