Page 13 of 14  •  Prev 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Pat Robertson Calls Haiti Earthquake "Blessing In Disguise" - Your thoughts?
4 years ago  ::  May 23, 2011 - 10:19PM #121
river8101

You can take any verse out of the bible and apply it to various events, such as the tsunami, or the catastrophe in Haiti or any other parts of the world.  Last night another tornado destoryed nearly a whole city in Missouri, took many lives, and nobody on this forum would think it had anything to do with being pagan, or not Christian,  because the south and mid-west are the most fundamental Christians in this country.  And this is not the first time these tornados have destroyed parts of the mid-west and south.  Or hurricanes have destroyed cities close to the Gulf where most all are Christians.  So Christians think the destruction to their homes has nothing to do with their religions, but when it hits someplace that's not Christian... Wham!  It's God punishment.  What nonsense.  Reminds me of the prediction that the End of the World will be coming and tons of people believed it, and the guy who started it made tons of money.  I hear he's a multi-millionaire now.  But then lots of those preacher guys are very rich. 

If you believe every word of the bible you will be steered wrong.  The bible is a book of legends, beliefs and stories.  No one can prove otherwise.  No one.    Very little of it can be confirmed.  Very little of it.  One can learn good and bad from the bible as in thousands of other books, legends and stories.  One should take the good and ignore the bad.  We don't know what the character of the people were who wrote different verses or portions of the bible, except what you've been taught about them.  They wrote what they believed or what gave them power, but that doesn't mean their beliefs were right or good.  Same is true of those who follow their writings.

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 23, 2011 - 10:28PM #122
river8101

Maine Capt.

I agree.  I wrote another post, but it keeps going on and off.  Weird computer.

Oh!  There it is up there!

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 24, 2011 - 1:00PM #123
mainecaptain

I can not understand why, this type of Christian is always saying such terrible things about their own god.

Because no matter how you cut it, whether you believe it is the Christian god causing these disasters, or allowing the devil to do it you are blaming your own god.

Sad.

I have also noticed no one has picked up the gauntlet and responded, in any way, except you and I River

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 24, 2011 - 1:07PM #124
Iwantamotto

I believe God is "in charge" to the extent He made the forces of nature.  The bible is pretty haphazard.  It wants to believe disasters are God's punishment in one breath while acknolwedging that "stuff happens" in another.

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2011 - 6:38AM #125
river8101

May 24, 2011 -- 1:00PM, mainecaptain wrote:

I can not understand why, this type of Christian is always saying such terrible things about their own god.

Because no matter how you cut it, whether you believe it is the Christian god causing these disasters, or allowing the devil to do it you are blaming your own god.

Sad.

I have also noticed no one has picked up the gauntlet and responded, in any way, except you and I River

You're right.  That's because they can't, and still claim to be believing fundamentalist Christians.  And also because neither you nor I read nor interpret the bible literally.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2011 - 4:49PM #126
NATAS

Howdy Andrew

Mar 20, 2011 -- 3:06PM, andrewcyrus wrote:

Mar 13, 2011 -- 4:37PM, world citizen wrote:

Hi NATAS!

I wasn't inferring that Jesus wasn't peaceful or that He didn't preach peace to His followers, as evidenced by "turn the other cheek" at a time when "eye for an eye" was the norm.  What I was trying to say is that "Prince of Peace" is a title given only in Isaiah and is nowhere to be found in the NT.  It is a Christian assumption that this is another title for Jesus when, in fact, that portion of Isaiah is an end-time prophecy.

Respectfully, WC

We believe JESUS is the Lamb of God, the Prince of Peace mentioned throughout the first testament.

I have no doubt that you "believe" that Jesus is the Lamb of God or that you "believe" that the Prince of Peace mentioned in the Torah is Jesus.  

I also do not doubt that Muslims "believe" that Muhammad is in the First Testament and in the Second Testament.  

www.islamicity.com/Mosque/Muhammad_Bible...

I also have no doubt the the Bahai "believe" that "the Bab" and the "Bahaullah" mentioned are in the Bible.

uhj.net/bahaullah.html

And he is obviously well represented by his own words and actions in the new testament which is by the way a much superior form of eye witness account than the first testament.

MAT 5V44

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

V45

That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

And he is obviously well represented by his own words and actions in the new testament which is by the way a much superior form of eye witness account than the first testament.

Think not that I am come to send peace on earth;  I came not to send peace, but a sword. (Matt.10:24)

Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth?  I tell you, Nay: but rather division. (Luke 12:51)

These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: ...  (John 16:33)

So there are pacificts and less than pacifict words attributed to Jesus. 

Mar 20, 2011 -- 3:06PM, andrewcyrus wrote:

And tieing this back to Pat Robertson who has already been apptly described as a loose nut.

His take on world events and cataclysms leaves much to be desired. 

Tieing this back to Pat Robertson.  The Bible clearly and literally says that God has used natural disasters to chastise people.  I will concede that some of the Bible can be taken allegorically-metaphorically-symbolically but some of it is also can be taken literally. 

When to translate literally and when to translate allegorically-metaphorically-symbolically is a matter of debate. 

Now it is my understanding that God can if She wants to prevented the earthquake and other natural disasters if He wanted too.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 07, 2011 - 9:57AM #127
river8101

I'd say He's working overtime in Texas right now.  How about all those fires down in Texas with a "governor" who wants to be president, supports Capital Punishment and is proud of all the people he's murdered,  And then, he pretends he's a preacher at the same time.  He wants Texas to break from the union.  (which wouldn't bother me at all)  Less guns in the country for one thing.    Think all those Xians down in Texas practice voodoo?   It seems some on this forum think that when bad things happen to some populations it's because God doesn't approve of them, or their religion isn't Christian.  But when bad things happen to "so called good believing Christians",  nothing is said because God had nothing to do with it.  Now, how does that make sense?  

Forgot who posted it, but thanks for that Screwtape letter! 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 10:15AM #128
river8101

Big tornado in Christian Texas this past week.  Terrible distruction.  How can that happen to such religious Christians?  Maybe it has nothing to do with whether you follow some sort of Christian religion.  Maybe it's because thats the way nature is.  And your good deeds or sins have absolutely nothing to do with it.   Or maybe the story of God isnt' true.  Maybe such an identity only exists in your head from people who taught it to you.  In other words, maybe there's no God at all.  Just us and nature. And nature doesn't care whether we are good or bad, believers or non believers when storms and plagues destory our lives.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 11:05AM #129
Idbc

Apr 7, 2012 -- 10:15AM, river8101 wrote:

Big tornado in Christian Texas this past week.  Terrible distruction.  How can that happen to such religious Christians?  Maybe it has nothing to do with whether you follow some sort of Christian religion.  Maybe it's because thats the way nature is.  And your good deeds or sins have absolutely nothing to do with it.   Or maybe the story of God isnt' true.  Maybe such an identity only exists in your head from people who taught it to you.  In other words, maybe there's no God at all.  Just us and nature. And nature doesn't care whether we are good or bad, believers or non believers when storms and plagues destory our lives.

Or maybe it is a test by god to see if xtians  "really" love god? 

Or maybe it is a punishment by god to those chrisitans who are naughty? 

Or maybe it is part of "god's plan"   that christians  are  not  intelligent enough to understand?

Or maybe it is simply a natural event that has nothing whatsoever to do with god? 

Whatever the answer is, it does not change the fact that the  effects of the tornado as well as  other acts of nature,  wether god had  a  hand in it or not  do exist.

HAVE A THINKING DAY MAY REASON GUIDE YOU
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2012 - 4:02PM #130
river8101

Absolutely true.   The belief in God or not has nothing to do with Nature.  When it comes to Nature, which definitely includes the weather,  Nature is the ultimate designer and the earth's natural resources and beauty.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 13 of 14  •  Prev 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook