Switch to Forum Live View How organized are we?
5 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2010 - 6:54PM #1
Phantasm

I have a question that's been rolling around in my head.

How organized would you say Progressive Christianity is?  See, one of the things that's holding me back from going all in and saying publically "I'm a progressive Christian" is what seems to be a lack of cohesion.  As I'm new to the movement and checking it out, I'm holding out on judging anyone too quickly.

So-

On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being anarchy and 10 being repressive domination, where do you think the movement is, you personally?  And is Progressive Christianity in a good place on this sliding scale?  Do you think it could stand to become more organized?  Or would you rather see it become less organized?

I'm eager to see the responses to my question.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 05, 2010 - 9:24AM #2
bigbear6161

It's maybe a 2.  It has organizations but these are decentralized.  If it was very centralized and heirarchic then it would just be someone at the top dishing out truth for the rest of us to buy.  Progressive Christianity would suffer if it became just another true believer syndrome.  Why do you want it more organized?  What do you want it to do?

Dave

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 05, 2010 - 10:56AM #3
Phantasm

It's just that, at least at the moment to me, it seems that the movement should be able to put up more resistance to the Fundamentals in the church, provide another perspective to the issues, be as visible as they are.  The traditional church has been as strong as it historically was for as long as it has been because of better organization.  Historical Gnosticism was eventually whiped out, and there are various reasons for that, esp. the Roman Empire adopting Christianity as its' official religion.  I donno.  It just seems from our perspective today that historical Gnosticism was doomed.  Maybe it's just me.  But reflecting back on religious history, it seems like the most organized ones are the ones that survive the longest, and ideology is secondary at best.

Maybe it's just too soon to tell where we're going with this......

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 05, 2010 - 11:27AM #4
langzaam

I am organized as a Christian having an opinion. I made my point when someone asked the question how I justify my belief and answered as follows:

My beliefs are justified in recognizing that the long time established understandings of God among us as Christians is nothing more then the awareness and conviction that God is actually Nature.

My soul searching concluded that Jesus Christ, if he actually existed, concluded the same thing. Symbolically, God is our Father and we are children of God. Of course God was personified because in the past we were a lot less informed then we are now. Science revealed that evolution is a fact and to me that makes sense now. God is the oxygen we breath and the nourishment that it can provide. God or Nature is exclusive to the planet earth.  (for the time being)

I further communicated that my religion was my parents'  choice and not mine. My personal choice was to formulate my thoughts on the meaning of God. Had my parents been other then Christian I could have derived at the same conclusion.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2010 - 10:26AM #5
Zeeking

Here in the Baptist Bible belt, I would say that it is very unorganized to the point of almost being nonexistant (I can not find a single "Christian church" at all progressive within an hour of my house! So on a scale of 1 - 10, I'd give it a "1" here). However, given the nature of "progressive" approach/belief, I do not necessarily think that is a bad thing. A large part of my leaving my more fundamental church was a result of the whole idea of "labels" which automatically divide and exclude. To set up progressive Christianity as another flavor risks turning it into yet another group of such exclusion.

I do not feel any need to argue or stand against other faith groups - fighting over God goes very much against how the Spirit guides me. If some feel the need to label or otherwise categorize me, so be it. However, I do not need to lower myself to the same, which, my experience has shown, hurts others.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 30, 2010 - 6:14PM #6
Merope

Jan 4, 2010 -- 6:54PM, Phantasm wrote:

I have a question that's been rolling around in my head.

How organized would you say Progressive Christianity is?  See, one of the things that's holding me back from going all in and saying publically "I'm a progressive Christian" is what seems to be a lack of cohesion.  As I'm new to the movement and checking it out, I'm holding out on judging anyone too quickly.

So-

On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being anarchy and 10 being repressive domination, where do you think the movement is, you personally?  And is Progressive Christianity in a good place on this sliding scale?  Do you think it could stand to become more organized?  Or would you rather see it become less organized? 

I'm eager to see the responses to my question.

I guess I don't see progressive Christianity as a "movement."  I see it more as a shorthand term for a series of theological, biblical, and/or sacramental views and beliefs.  I see it as a particular way -- and one among many ways -- of being Christian. 

I guess I also think the question of whether or to what degree progressive Christians are organized kind of misses the point.  For one thing, a lot of progressive Christians (like me, for instance) are denominational Christians.  So you'll find progressive Christians in any number of Christian denominations -- Catholic, Anglican, Lutheran, Presbyterian, etc.  Most of us in that situation live out our Christianity progressively but also within the terms of our denomination's particular take on Christianity.  Our primary faith community, for many of us, is our parish or congregation within our church or denomination rather than other progressive Christians.  There may be any number of progressive Christians within our churches and/or denominations; OTOH, our particular parishes or congregations may be more (or less) progressively Christian than other parishes or congregations in our churches/denominations.

I also think one can be a progressive Christian and still be an evangelical (small "e") Christian or a contemplative Christian.

My $.02 :-)

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2010 - 1:37PM #7
Bob_Bennett

Progressive C. is a mindset and not an institution; ergo, not organized.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook