Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Is THIS what the progressive movement is up against?
5 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2009 - 2:16AM #11
Dostojevsky

I do not know the writer of the article or that he is fundamentalist but even if he is, if there truth in it, that is what matters. We Christians have to protect our faith. Many carry the title and care not for Christian Gospel or its principles; is this what the article is about - secular humanists calling themselves Christians?

No need to attack or defend, but explain so others will understand.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2009 - 9:08AM #12
Iwantamotto

Dec 16, 2009 -- 2:16AM, Dostojevsky wrote:

I do not know the writer of the article or that he is fundamentalist but even if he is, if there truth in it, that is what matters. We Christians have to protect our faith. Many carry the title and care not for Christian Gospel or its principles; is this what the article is about - secular humanists calling themselves Christians?

No need to attack or defend, but explain so others will understand.

See, here's the thing:  I am also afraid of card-carrying "Christians" who don't care for Jesus' principles.  It's just, from my perspective, it's the fundies who are precisely what they accuse the rest of us of being.  I've had people in debates here and elsewhere choose a quote from Paul or Peter over a quote from Jesus Himself.  They stress the punishment part of God, ignoring the forgiveness part, even as they accuse "bleeding heart liberals" of paying attention only to the forgivness part.  I see people not want their churches to pay taxes even though Jesus did (admittedly, not with His own money).  I see people claiming certain types of people shouldn't be married or be priests/pastors, but the humans in these positions are allowed to be every other kind of sinner, it seems.  I see people claim the origin of sentience in humans when the bible itself doesn't confirm their opinion.  I see people trusting a much later interpretation of an ancient event (say, for example, the retconning of Jesus into Genesis).  I see a group of Christians claim wealth is a sign of blessing despite a multitude of griping by the prophets and the Messiah that it is no such thing.  It'd be funny if it weren't sad to see literalists ignore much of their own sacred scripture ... or say it's lying when it is inconvenient to their argument.

That's not to say I'm against conservative evangelical Christianity as a whole.  As long as you walk your walk, I'll respect you, even if I disagree with the theology.  It's the hypocrisy of some people I cannot stand.  Am I perfect?  Heck, no.  However, I don't belong to a theology that says it's possible to be some one-dimensional white-washed non-personality.

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook