Page 31 of 31  •  Prev 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31
Switch to Forum Live View
Sticky: Utter nonsense lounge
6 months ago  ::  Jan 30, 2014 - 4:41PM #301
world citizen

Jan 21, 2014 -- 9:23PM, Upperlimits wrote:

Survival on the Moon

Scenario:

You are a member of a space crew originally scheduled to rendezvous with a mother ship on the lighted surface of the moon. However, due to mechanical difficulties, your ship was forced to land at a spot some 200 miles from the rendezvous point During reentry and landing, much of the equipment aboard was damaged and, since survival depends on reaching the mother ship, the most critical items available must be chosen for the 200 mile trip.

Below are listed the 15 items left intact and undamaged after landing. Your task is to rank order them in terms of their importance for your crew in allowing them to reach the rendezvous point. Place the number 1 by the most important item, the number 2 by the second most important, and so on through number 15 for the least important.

Box of matches - 6 (to light flares)
Food concentrate - 3
50 feet of nylon rope - 7
Parachute silk - 8
Portable heating unit - 14 (space suits insulated against extreme temps)
Two .45 caliber pistols - 11 (nothing to shoot at)
One case of dehydrated milk - 10 (would have to waste water)
Two 100 lb. tanks of oxygen - 1 (vital, would have no weight on moon surface)
Stellar map - 12 (not needed; going nowhere else)
Self-inflating life raft - 15 (no water except possibly at poles)
Magnetic compass - 13 (too many magnetic rocks on moon surface)
5 gallons of water - 2
Signal flares - 5 (help mother ship locate them)
First aid kit, including injection needle - 9 (would require removing space suit)
Solar-powered FM receiver-transmitter - 4 (to contact mother ship)

Give your answer and if possible, some of your reasoning. NASA’s answers wiill be posted at the end of January.

Will I win a prize for this head pounding undertaking?  Laughing

Blessed is he who mingleth with all men in a spirit of utmost kindliness and love. ~Baha'u'llah
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 months ago  ::  Feb 02, 2014 - 2:09PM #302
Upperlimits

Answers to the Survival on the Moon Exercise (As promised...)

NASA’s Reasoning:

1) Two 100 lb. tanks of oxygen. Most pressing survival need. (weight is not a factor since gravity is one-sixth of the Earth’s — each tank would weigh only about 17 lbs on the moon.)
2) 5 gallons of water. Needed for replacement of tremendous liquid loss on the light side.
3) Stellar map. Primary means of navigation - star patterns appear essentially identical on the moon as on Earth.
4) Food concentrate. Efficient means of supplying energy requirements.
5) Solar-powered FM receiver-transmitter. For communication with mother ship. (but FM requires line-of-sight transmission and can only be used over short ranges.)
6) 50 feet of nylon rope. Useful in scaling cliffs and tying injured together.
7) First aid kit, including injection needle. Needles connected to vials of vitamins, medicines, etc. will fit special aperture in NASA space suit.
8) Parachute silk. Protection from the sun’s rays.
9) Self-inflating life raft. CO2 bottle in military raft may be used for propulsion.
10) Signal flares. Use as distress signal when the mother ship is sighted.
11) Two .45 caliber pistols. Another possible means of self-propulsion. (Kinetic energy produced from firing.)
12) One case of dehydrated milk. Bulkier duplication of food concentrate
13) Portable heating unit. Not needed unless on the dark side.
14) Magnetic compass. The magnetic field on the moon is not polarized, so it’s worthless for navigation.
15 Box of matches. Virtually worthless —there’s no oxygen on the moon to sustain combustion.

Scoring:
For each item, mark the number of points that your score differs from the NASA ranking, then add up all the points. Disregard plus or minus differences. The lower the total, the better your score.
0 -25 excellent.
26-32 good.
33 -45 average.
46-55 fair.
56 -70 poor — suggests use ofEarth-bound logic.
71 -112 very poor-you’re one of the casualties of the space program!

According to 2nd Corinthians 3:2, there are five gospels in the world. Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, and the Epistle of ones own life.  Most people will probably never read the first four.

God desires that our lives would bear spiritual fruit - not religious nuts.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 months ago  ::  Feb 06, 2014 - 7:23PM #303
Kemmer

Caffeine and nicotine are the duct tapes of life.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 months ago  ::  Feb 18, 2014 - 10:44AM #304
Kemmer

Marriage is like a deck of cards; first there are two hearts and a diamond; at the end there is a club and a spade.  Surprised

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 months ago  ::  Apr 06, 2014 - 6:07AM #305
Eightball
Time flies like an arrow

Fruit flies like a banana!

Figure that out...
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 months ago  ::  Apr 10, 2014 - 9:55PM #306
Upperlimits

Weight Loss Program

A guy calls a company and orders their 5-day, 5lbs weight loss program.

The next day, there's a knock on the door and there stands before him a voluptuous, athletic, 19 year old babe dressed in nothing but a pair of Nike running shoes and a sign around her neck..

She introduces herself as a representative of the weight loss company. The sign reads, "If you can catch me, you can have me."

Without a second thought, he takes off after her. A few miles later puffing and puffing, he finally gives up. The same girl shows up for the next four days and the same thing happens. On the fifth day, he weighs himself and is delighted to find he has lost 5lbs as promised.

He calls the company and orders their 5-day/10lbs program. The next day there's a knock at the door and there stands the most stunning, beautiful, sexy woman he has ever seen in his life. She is wearing nothing but Reebok running shoes and a sign around her neck that reads, "If you catch me you can have me".

Well, he's out the door after her like a shot. This girl is in excellent shape and he does his best, but no such luck. So for the next four days, the same routine happens with him gradually getting in better and better shape.

Much to his delight on the fifth day when he weighs himself, he discovers that he has lost another 10lbs as promised. He decides to go for broke and calls the company to order the 7-day/25 lbs program.

"Are you sure?" asks the representative on the phone. "This is our most rigorous program." "Absolutely," he replies, "I haven't felt this good in years."

The next day there's a knock at the door; and when he opens it he finds a huge muscular guy standing there wearing nothing but pink running shoes and a sign around his neck that reads, "If I catch you, you are mine."

He lost 33 lbs that week.

According to 2nd Corinthians 3:2, there are five gospels in the world. Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, and the Epistle of ones own life.  Most people will probably never read the first four.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 months ago  ::  Apr 11, 2014 - 7:53AM #307
Eightball
Upper limit.... Didn't he mention that he was Gay!!
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 months ago  ::  Apr 11, 2014 - 4:24PM #308
Oeste

A Jewish man was leaving a convenience store with his espresso when he noticed a most unusual Italian funeral procession approaching the nearby cemetery.

A black hearse was followed by a second black hearse about 50 feet behind the first one. Behind the second hearse was a solitary Italian man walking a dog on a leash.

Behind him, a short distance back, were about 200 men walking in single file.

The Jewish man couldn't stand the curiosity.
He respectfully approached the Italian man walking the dog and said: "I am so sorry for your loss, and this may be a bad time to disturb you, but I've never seen an Italian funeral like this. Whose funeral is it?"
"My wife's."
''What happened to her?"

"She yelled at me and my dog attacked and killed her."
He inquired further, "But who is in the second hearse?"

My mother-in-law. She came to help my wife and the dog turned on her and killed her also.

A very poignant and touching moment of Jewish and Italian brotherhood and silence passed between the two men..

The Jewish man then asked "Can I borrow the dog?"

The Italian man replied, "Get in line."

Never argue with stupid people. They will drag
you down to their level and then beat you with
experience ~ Mark Twain

If you are neutral on situations of injustice
you have chosen the side of the oppressor ~
Desmond Tutu
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 months ago  ::  Apr 24, 2014 - 10:21PM #309
Upperlimits

I was talking to my banker today, and he asked me, "Would I would like some more overdraft?"

I said, "Sure, why not? I'll drink any kind of beer."

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 months ago  ::  May 07, 2014 - 10:58PM #310
Upperlimits
Did you know that "sugar" is the only word in the English language that begins with "su" but sounds like "sh"?

I'm sure it is...

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 31 of 31  •  Prev 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook