Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View For progressives, what does it mean to be Christian?
4 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2010 - 7:36PM #11
Bob_Bennett

Being Christian, to me, means following the teachings of Jesus, as best they can be determinded.   And that means wading thru the parables and allegories to find the real meaning that is hidded to the literal minded.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2011 - 4:56PM #12
vivianclare

What is your support for the existence of this "Christ within yourself"? Where does this concept come from?  How do you know there is such a thing?

I have a logical problem with "progressive Christianity" because it seems to be a lot of people who are simply believing in whatever they invent in their own minds, and this just seems to me to be a lot of wishful thinking. 

Christianity IS about Christ, and in order for that to mean something and opposed to meaning nothing, there has to be some coherent concept of who Christ is. If you don't accept the Bible's account, whose account are you using? 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2011 - 1:44PM #13
Stardove

Apr 29, 2011 -- 4:56PM, vivianclare wrote:

What is your support for the existence of this "Christ within yourself"? Where does this concept come from?  How do you know there is such a thing?

I have a logical problem with "progressive Christianity" because it seems to be a lot of people who are simply believing in whatever they invent in their own minds, and this just seems to me to be a lot of wishful thinking. 

Christianity IS about Christ, and in order for that to mean something and opposed to meaning nothing, there has to be some coherent concept of who Christ is. If you don't accept the Bible's account, whose account are you using? 

Here is a link at Unity's site for the search Christ within.

What quickly comes to mind is the scripture where Jesus says the Kingdom of heaven is within.

For more scriptures about Christ within click here.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2011 - 4:50PM #14
Iwantamotto

Billmc:  If you consider yourself to be a progressive Christian, I would enjoy hearing what it is that makes you a Christian and why, if the religion of the past no longer works for you, do you retain that label?

I retain the label 'cause I don't see a point to converting into anything else.  I feel what makes me a Christian is that I truly try to be what I think Jesus would've wanted me to be.  That His morals crop up in other religions or even those with no religion is irrelevant to me.

Would it be fair to say, then, that most progressive Christians don't find much use for the teachings of the "earthly Jesus" and rely more on the inner revelations of the "mystical Christ" within?

I'm not a big fan of mysticism, though I couldn't care less either way.  I feel Jesus had mostly an earthly message, despite later attempts to make simple talk of feeding the poor into something Cosmic.

Why be compassionte to people who don't really exist anyway? Why seek justice when there really is no such thing as suffering?

While I don't necessarily adhere to that view, why help Mario save the Princess if she's not even real?

So I'm attempting to "test the waters" here and see if the same attitude exists, the notion that progressive Christianity, because it is so ambiguous, practically seeks nothing, stands for nothing, and accomplishes nothing.

I would think Progressive Christians strive for actual "progression".  I would think the whole label thing implies an unwillingness to maintain the status quo.

that I shouldn't expect the progressive movement to do anything as a movement or as a body

Ants aren't exactly micromanaged, but they still do their jobs and the whole colony benefits.

vivianclare:  I have a logical problem with "progressive Christianity" because it seems to be a lot of people who are simply believing in whatever they invent in their own minds, and this just seems to me to be a lot of wishful thinking.

At least we're honest.  NO ONE avoids cherry-picking in Christianity.

If you don't accept the Bible's account, whose account are you using?

Jesus said to judge a tree by its fruit.  To mindlessly follow the bible without checking up on the facts of the matter is like accepting the fruit on the fruitstand is an apple just because it's labeled that way and ignoring the fact it's a banana.

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2011 - 9:49PM #15
Rockstarwife628

I consider myself to be a "progressive" Christian, I guess, so I'll venture an attempt here.

In my personal opinion, a Christian is anyone who believes in and follows the person and message of Jesus/Christ, whatever they believe him/that to be.

It's not so much that I reject "the religion of the past", it's that I reject the idea of "traditional" Christianity being what Jesus intended. I believe that people look at the message and the Bible a lot differently today than in the past, and because of that so much of the actual meaning has been neglected. So I prefer to try to get a deeper understanding of the Bible by applying what we can understand through history, archeology, the original languages and traditions, etc.

I reject literalism as a recent occurance in the Christian faith (something that only *really* gained prominence after the Reformation), and recognize that fundamentalism only really goes back as far as the 1920's. So instead of these more recent ways of understanding , I'm more interested in seeing what the Bible actually has to say about Jesus and faith and so forth, by considering the *whole* context. Just because I reject the ideas of literalism and infallibility/absolutism doesn't mean I don't still believe in the value and "truth" of the Bible. I just understand it differently.

I also recognize that there has never been one unified Christianity. From the beginning there have been multiple understandings and interpretations. I prefer to look at those differences, especially the earliest ones, and form my opinions from there, rather than from the "tradition" of "official" Christianity, especially having an understanding of how much of what is considered "orthodox doctrine" was established and enforced.

And then there is the understanding that I can be nothing but a Christian. I have my foundation in Christianity, in the person and message of Jesus, and while I may come to different conclusions than most I can't change that I have a Christian perception and understanding. When I look at other faiths I see them through a Christian point of view. I may not be "orthodox" or "traditional" in the sense that I agree with the mainstream, but I am still a Christian. It's an identity that makes up the largest part of who I am as a person.

I may not qualify to be a Calvinist or a fundamentalist (in truth I identify as a Christian Universalist), but those are *kinds* of Christians, and one can be Christian without being Calvinist or fundamentalist (etc). That doesn't change the common denominator - a belief in Jesus and his message.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2012 - 1:19PM #16
Rgurley4

Discuss Progressive Christianity > For progressives, what does it mean to be Christian?

Rockstarwife628 #15

...a Christian is anyone who believes in and follows the person and message of Jesus/Christ, whatever they believe him/that to be....

I like that definition. To me, "Christian" simply MEANS (Jesus the) Christ-follower.
I believe LABELS are artificially based on very general criteria and tend to be devisive....and then there are DENOMINATIONS...another subject!

1. Progressive Christians
community.beliefnet.com/go/forum/view/44...

2. Traditional Christians

3. Evangelical Christians

4. Fundamental Christians
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_fundamen...
www.scribd.com/doc/1273/Top-Ten-Signs-Yo...skeptic's view

5. Conservative Christians
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservative_Chris...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_right

6. Bible-Based Christians

Are not we  "Christians" a dynamic combination of ALL these LABELS?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook