Page 1 of 12  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next
5 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2009 - 9:55AM #1
he-man

Day of the Dead is a Catholic Christian ritual intermixed with folk culture. eg: All Souls Day: Halloween

Going to mass is an essential aspect of this celebration. It doesn’t honor death, but our dead relatives. Day of the Dead, the annual celebration of the return of the souls of the deceased, they go to the bright graveyards to see each and every tomb adorned with flowers, candles, sugar cane, oranges…In every household  there will be an altar piled high with food, scented by copal incense and the memories of the dead. (As if dead people could eat food!)

Everyone is coming for the party, living and dead, shortened in Spanish to Mitla, the famous Zapotec “place of the dead,” which peaked around 1350 A.D. with about 10,000 people. It was still inhabited until well after the conquest. Archeologists believe its unusual architecture with its striking geometric greca (Greek-style) designs, was the creation of a blended Zapotec and Mixtec culture.

Moros y Cristianos (Moors and Christians) is a peculiar celebration which is held in different cities along the Spanish coast. This festival acts out a part of Spanish history demonstrating the battles between the Arabs and the Christians that took place in the region centuries ago.
Moors, who were in league with Moncofar, a Muslim who had grown up among the Christians and had proved a traitor, launched an attack on the Christian citizens. The Islamic troops were well aware of this: the coast is studded with watchtowers.

When the Christian troops hit the beach, the defenders were waiting. Moors who in AD 711 stepped off the boat at the big rock that would later be named for their leader (Tarik, he was: Jebl al Tarik; Gibraltar) had any idea that nearly eight centuries were to pass before the feuding Christians who’d invited them would reclaim sovereignty over the entire Iberian peninsula?

Could even one of them have imagined that nearly 1300 years later, one of the last of Spain’s Moorish towns would be holding a three day costume party in memory of the clash of civilizations and Spain’s "liberation," while across the Med, the old Abbasid Dynasty capital Baghdad would be occupied by co-religionists of the contentious and greedy Goths?

The Iberian peninsula saw its last Muslim kingdom disappear on Jan 1, 1492, when the "Catholic Kings Ferdinand and Isabella entered Granada and began the unification of what was to become Spain under the crown of Castile. The Muslims who remained were later to be expelled along with the Jews, given that both groups were perceived to be aliens whose presence was harmful to the homogeneity of the Euro-Christian society.

The Muslims largely vanished from all of post-Fifteenth-Century Western Europe, while the Jews  – at 13 million they comprise about 0.2 percent of the world’s population…,"remained, albeit in always precarious circumstances which culminated in non-Russian Western Europe’s single greatest atrocity: the attempt by the Nazis to exterminate all Jews still living in Europe.

The Moors and Arabs had their own nations to which they could return (though these were later to be incorporated into European and now American colonial empires), but the Jews were stateless until the creation of Israel after the horrors perpetrated against them.

According to a 14 June, 2003, op-ed piece in The New York Times by Newsweek Magazine religious editor Kenneth L. Woodward, "[t]he most agitated debate at the convention that produced the draft [of the proposed EU constitution] focused on the preamble, specifically whether God in general, and Christianity in particular, ought to be mentioned among the sources of ‘values’ that produced a common European culture and heritage."

He points out that "[o]pponents have argued that a reference to God belies the constitution’s secular purpose, and that a specific reference to Christianity would alienate Western Europe’s 15 million Muslim immigrants – not to mention Muslim Turkey, which is eager to join in the union’s eastward expansion."

Happy Halloween! Turkeys!

1Ch 25:5  All these were the sons of Heman the king’s seer (chozeh= to see) in the words of God, to lift up the horn.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2009 - 9:58AM #2
Adelphe

Halloween is evil!  All Saint's Day is pagan!  Christmas is pagan!  Easter is pagan!

Run for your lives!!!!!!!!!!!

Tongue out

Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason, my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not retract anything, for to go against conscience would be neither right nor safe.  Here I stand.  I can do no other.  God help me.  Amen.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2009 - 10:25AM #3
he-man

Oct 4, 2009 -- 9:58AM, Adelphe wrote:

Halloween is evil!  All Saint's Day is pagan!  Christmas is pagan!  Easter is pagan!

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkk! 

1Ch 25:5  All these were the sons of Heman the king’s seer (chozeh= to see) in the words of God, to lift up the horn.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2009 - 12:02PM #4
Adelphe

Oct 4, 2009 -- 10:25AM, he-man wrote:

LOL...

Pray, what is your point with this thread, he-man?

Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason, my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not retract anything, for to go against conscience would be neither right nor safe.  Here I stand.  I can do no other.  God help me.  Amen.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2009 - 4:00PM #5
wontgetfooledagain

Oct 4, 2009 -- 12:02PM, Adelphe wrote:

Oct 4, 2009 -- 10:25AM, he-man wrote:

LOL...

Pray, what is your point with this thread, he-man?

I don't care what his point was.  It was the BEST post I've ever seen from he-man.  It's the one and only post I've seen from him that did not have a bible quote in it!  And all this time I thought he-man was just a bible-bot that Bnet used to keep threads moving!

Nice to see that he-man is a real person!  Now maybe I can get him over to the sports and entertainment forums... Smile

Rob

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2009 - 5:32PM #6
mainecaptain

The only real evil comes from those who judge and harm others.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2009 - 9:05PM #7
he-man

Oct 4, 2009 -- 5:32PM, mainecaptain wrote:

That sounds like a pussy approach! Considering that you may have to judge angels, surely you are able to discern even the smallest things of this life.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2009 - 11:10PM #8
Miguel_de_servet

Rob

Oct 4, 2009 -- 9:55AM, he-man wrote:

Day of the Dead is a Catholic Christian ritual intermixed with folk culture. eg: All Souls Day: Halloween

Going to mass is an essential aspect of this celebration. It doesn’t honor death, but our dead relatives. [verbatim source: Common Misconceptions About The Day of the Dead Celebration, by May Herz, @ inside-mexico.com] [And of course, this being] Day of the Dead, the annual celebration of the return of the souls of the deceased, they go to [we’ll visit] the bright graveyards to see each and every tomb adorned with flowers, candles, sugar cane, oranges…In every household [we visit] there will be an altar piled high with food, scented by copal incense and the memories of the dead. (As if dead people could eat food!) [copied with "masking alterations" from: Day of the Dead in Backcactus Oaxaca, @ traditionsmexico.com]

[...] Everyone is coming for the party, living and dead, [copied with "masking alterations" from: Day of the Dead in Backcactus Oaxaca, @ traditionsmexico.com] shortened in Spanish to Mitla, the famous Zapotec “place of the dead,” [copied with "masking alterations" from: Mitla Archaeological Zones -- Central Valley, @ mexonline.com] which peaked around 1350 A.D. with about 10,000 people. It was still inhabited until well after the conquest. Archeologists believe its unusual architecture with its striking geometric greca (Greek-style) designs, was the creation of a blended Zapotec and Mixtec culture. [verbatim source: The Wonders of Oaxaca, by Loretta Scott Miller, November 1996, @ chapala.110mb.com]

Moros y Cristianos (Moors and Christians) is a peculiar celebration which is held in different cities along the Spanish coast. This festival acts out a part of Spanish history demonstrating the battles between the Arabs and the Christians that took place in the region centuries ago. [verbatim source: Moros y Cristianos, @ donquijote.org]

Moors, who were in league with Moncofar, a Muslim who had grown up among the Christians and had proved a traitor, launched an attack on the Christian citizens. [verbatim source: Calpe’s Fiestas. A SYMBOL OF HISTORICAL TRADITION, morosicristians.com] The Islamic troops were well aware of this: the coast is studded with watchtowers. [verbatim source: Moors, Christians and Jews: Europe Then and Now, Timothy J. Cullen, @ lewrockwell.com]

When the Christian troops hit the beach, the defenders were waiting. [...] [I wonder how many of the seven thousand] Moors who in AD 711 stepped off the boat at the big rock that would later be named for their leader (Tarik, he was: Jebl al Tarik; Gibraltar) had any idea that nearly eight centuries were to pass before the feuding Christians who’d invited them would reclaim sovereignty over the entire Iberian peninsula?

Could even one of them have imagined that nearly 1300 years later, one of the last of Spain’s Moorish towns would be holding a three day costume party in memory of the clash of civilizations and Spain’s "liberation," while across the Med, the old Abbasid Dynasty capital Baghdad would be occupied by co-religionists of the contentious and greedy Goths?

[...] The Iberian peninsula saw its last Muslim kingdom disappear on Jan 1, 1492, when the "Catholic Kings Ferdinand and Isabella entered Granada and began the unification of what was to become Spain under the crown of Castile. The Muslims who remained were later to be expelled along with the Jews, given that both groups were perceived [– whether correctly or incorrectly –] to be aliens whose presence was harmful to the homogeneity of the Euro-Christian society.

The Muslims largely vanished from all of post-Fifteenth-Century Western Europe, while the Jews – at 13 million they comprise about 0.2 percent of the world’s population…," [inset from: How Europe Can Stop the Hate, by Rudolph W. Giuliani, June 18, 2003, @ nytimes.com] remained, albeit in always precarious circumstances which culminated in non-Russian Western Europe’s single greatest atrocity: the attempt by the Nazis to exterminate all Jews still living in Europe. 

The Moors and Arabs had their own nations to which they could return (though these were later to be incorporated into European and now American colonial empires), but the Jews were stateless until the creation of Israel after the horrors perpetrated against them.

According to a 14 June, 2003, op-ed piece in The New York Times by Newsweek Magazine religious editor Kenneth L. Woodward, "[t]he most agitated debate at the convention that produced the draft [of the proposed EU constitution] focused on the preamble, specifically whether God in general, and Christianity in particular, ought to be mentioned among the sources of ‘values’ that produced a common European culture and heritage."

[Mr. Woodward makes his opinion clear: "As an American, I shouldn’t much care what the bureaucrats in Brussels write in their preamble. But it should matter to Europeans – and to anyone anywhere who cares about history – because the eliding of the Christian foundations of Western culture is morally and intellectually dishonest."]

He points out that "[o]pponents have argued that a reference to God belies the constitution’s secular purpose, and that a specific reference to Christianity would alienate Western Europe’s 15 million Muslim immigrants – not to mention Muslim Turkey, which is eager to join in the union’s eastward expansion." [near verbatim source, with "masking alterations": Moors, Christians and Jews: Europe Then and Now, Timothy J. Cullen, @ lewrockwell.com]

Happy Halloween! Turkeys!

Oct 4, 2009 -- 4:00PM, wontgetfooledagain wrote:

I don't care what his [he-man's] point was.  It was the BEST post I've ever seen from he-man. [guffaw!!!] It's the one and only post I've seen from him that did not have a bible quote in it! [LOL! no ... different quotations ...] And all this time I thought he-man was just a bible-bot that Bnet used to keep threads moving! [guffaw!!!]

Nice to see that he-man is a real person! [guffaw!!!]  Now maybe I can get him over to the sports and entertainment forums...

Whatever subject you choose, he-man is at your service, ready to cut & paste, Sir.

Mario

P.S. Rob, in spite of your chosen screen-name, I am afraid you DID get fooled again ... [guffaw!!!]

Revelation is above, not against Reason

“The everlasting God is a refuge, and underneath you are his eternal arms ...” (Deut 33:27)
“Do you have an arm like God, and can you thunder with a voice like his?” (Job 40:9)
“By the Lord’s word [dabar] the heavens were made; and by the breath [ruwach] of his mouth all their host.” (Psalm 33:6)
“Who would have believed what we just heard? When was the arm of the Lord revealed through him?” (Isaiah 53:1)
“Lord, who has believed our message, and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?” (John 12:38)
“For not the hearers of the law are righteous before God, but the doers of the law will be declared righteous.” (Romans 2:13)

“Owe no one anything, except to love one another, for the one who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law.”(Romans 13:8)
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2009 - 11:45PM #9
chevy956

Oct 4, 2009 -- 9:05PM, he-man wrote:

That sounds like a pussy approach! Considering that you may have to judge angels, surely you are able to discern even the smallest things of this life.

He-man, so by your logic, "Judge not that you not be judged" is a pussy approach? I thought that Christians were called to be witnesses, not judge, jury and executioner.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 05, 2009 - 10:42AM #10
he-man

Oct 4, 2009 -- 11:45PM, chevy956 wrote:

Oct 4, 2009 -- 9:05PM, he-man wrote:

He-man, so by your logic, "Judge not that you not be judged" is a pussy approach? I thought that Christians were called to be witnesses, not judge, jury and executioner.

You do err:

1Co 6:2  Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?

Do you have faith? Have it to yourself before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves. But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because he does not eat from faith; for whatever is not from faith is sin. Romans 14:22-23

For with power he eagerly controlled the Jews publicly, showing through the Scriptures that the Messiah is Jesus. Codex Sinaiticus Acts 18:28

But if our unrighteousness commend the righteousness of God, what shall we say? Is God unrighteous who taketh vengeance? (I speak as a man)
God forbid: for then how shall God judge the world? Ro 3:6,7

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 12  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook