Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next
Switch to Forum Live View KC PRIEST REFUTES BISHOP FINN
5 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2009 - 9:17PM #1
jane2

Hewy and I have both posted this site on two threads but it probably merits its own thread

www.ncronline.org/blogs/ncr-today/kansas...

The opening lines from Father Gilgannon

You appear to me and many priests of my generation who lived the Spirit filled days of Vatican II," wrote Gillgannon, "as one whose task is to reverse the changes of that great event. You have given the impression that your changes were for the sake of a narrow 'orthodoxy' which seems to imply that the bishops and priests and laity before you were not orthodox."

This is the bishop to whom JJ pays such homage. Father Gilgannon has more than a little to say, all done with courtesy.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 20, 2009 - 1:07AM #2
Justly

Sep 19, 2009 -- 9:17PM, jane2 wrote:

Hewy and I have both posted this site on two threads but it probably merits its own thread

You appear to me and many priests of my generation who lived the Spirit filled days of Vatican II," wrote Gillgannon, "as one whose task is to reverse the changes of that great event. You have given the impression that your changes were for the sake of a narrow 'orthodoxy' which seems to imply that the bishops and priests and laity before you were not orthodox."

This is the bishop to whom JJ pays such homage. Father Gilgannon has more than a little to say, all done with courtesy.

Something tells me the Head of the Church seated at the right hand of God is smiling upon Fr Gilgannon.  Matt 25:35-46

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 20, 2009 - 1:49AM #3
Peter_d_roman

if only we would help HIm to stop His Weeping - His Smile would apprear.

peace and good and tons o'love

>o

Sep 20, 2009 -- 1:07AM, Justly wrote:

Something tells me the Head of the Church seated at the right hand of God is smiling upon Fr Gilgannon.  Matt 25:35-46

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 20, 2009 - 10:15AM #4
hewy1952

Let's begin with this comparison:

Fr. Gillgannon:                                                    Bishop Finn

35 years in La Paz, Bolivia.                                 St. Louis, MO and KC, MO

Ravages of altitude sickness                              Apparently good health

Preferential option for the poor                          Preferential option for the rich

Probable diabetes from poor diet                       Good health

Multiple Boards/Societies for Latin America         Coauthor of several letters

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 20, 2009 - 9:41PM #5
hewy1952

There is also an underreported story from the KC diocese of Sr. (Donna?) Ryan, RSM, who is chaplain to a diocesan sponsored ministry to gays and lesbians, bi,s and trans,s, which has been 'kicked out' of the Cathedral by Finn, but 'allowed', 'requested' to continue it's ministry.

What a guy.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 21, 2009 - 12:58AM #6
jane2

Sep 20, 2009 -- 9:41PM, hewy1952 wrote:

There is also an underreported story from the KC diocese of Sr. (Donna?) Ryan, RSM, who is chaplain to a diocesan sponsored ministry to gays and lesbians, bi,s and trans,s, which has been 'kicked out' of the Cathedral by Finn, but 'allowed', 'requested' to continue it's ministry.

What a guy.

Hewy (and y'all)

And the beat goes on and on and on.

I appreciated your delineage of the service, etc. of Father Gilgannon and Bishop Finn.

From much that I read the RSMs and CSJs are under heavy scrutiny by Rode and Levada. I've known the RSMs since I was a pre-schooler through my parents and their friends: i did grow up in the small diocese of Albany NY. The CSJs founded, owned and ran my small Catholic college for women: where I was actually taught by the brilliant CSJ PhD's. After all it was Sister Theresa Kane RSM who challenged JPII in the US on the ordination of women.

Finn is off the charts and unfortunately he is not alone. The statement by the USCCB on health care is so wishy-washy: they are afraid of their shadows. Then again we know who appointed them: he believed really was the Vicar of Christ on earth, such arrogance. And the Church continues to bleed.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 21, 2009 - 10:08AM #7
hewy1952

Sep 21, 2009 -- 12:58AM, jane2 wrote:

Sep 20, 2009 -- 9:41PM, hewy1952 wrote:

What a guy.

Hewy (and y'all)

And the beat goes on and on and on.

I appreciated your delineage of the service, etc. of Father Gilgannon and Bishop Finn.

From much that I read the RSMs and CSJs are under heavy scrutiny by Rode and Levada. I've known the RSMs since I was a pre-schooler through my parents and their friends: i did grow up in the small diocese of Albany NY. The CSJs founded, owned and ran my small Catholic college for women: where I was actually taught by the brilliant CSJ PhD's. After all it was Sister Theresa Kane RSM who challenged JPII in the US on the ordination of women.

Finn is off the charts and unfortunately he is not alone. The statement by the USCCB on health care is so wishy-washy: they are afraid of their shadows. Then again we know who appointed them: he believed really was the Vicar of Christ on earth, such arrogance. And the Church continues to bleed.

Just another point of comparison:

Reverend Michael J. Gillgannon

Missionary Priest of the Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph

and

Archdiocesan Director of Campus Ministry for the Archdiocese of La Paz, Bolivia

As Bolivians remain deadlocked over constitutional reform, with ethnic and regional divisions at the fore, President Evo Morales, Vice President Alvaro García Linera and all nine departmental prefects (governors) will face recall referenda on August 10.  Please join us for a wide-ranging discussion of the ongoing political contest in Bolivia and its implications for the region.

Rev. Michael J. Gillgannon is the Founder and Director of Campus Ministry for the Archdiocese of La Paz, Bolivia.  He also serves as Chaplain to the State University of La Paz and the La Paz Teachers' College.  Ordained in 1958, Fr. Gillgannon began his career in campus ministry in 1962 at Western Missouri State University.  In 1966, he served on the advisory committee of the U.S. Catholic Bishops' Conference for the post-Vatican II reorganization of Catholic Campus Ministry in the United States.  Since 1974, he has worked as a missionary priest in La Paz, serving as Pastor of San Antonio Parish, as Archdiocesan Director of Pastoral Planning, and as National Chaplain for Bolivian Campus Ministry.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 21, 2009 - 10:09AM #8
danman916

Personally, I take no issue with either Father Gilgannon or Bishop Finn. I don't have a dog in this fight, but one thing that I did notice was that for everyone who commented that Father's letter was done with courtesy, what he did was to take a matter between his Bishop and him and put it in the public. Typically, one who has courtesy in mind isn't going to do what he did, because he is smart enough to know that an open letter like this is polemical in nature, and will only serve to stir the pot to sew discord among the diocese.

Now, I am not judging Father Gilgannon because I have no idea what his motives were. There could very well be these issues in the diocese. He may be stating them correctly, or he may be interpreting them to be far greater than they actually are. There is no real way for anyone here to tell since none of us is involved in the workings of the diocese and none of us has had first hand experience with Bishop Finn.

So while, in reading this letter, it appears that, at the very least, there are perceptions that the Bishop should (or needs to) pastorally address since his priests feel this way; I wonder what affect this is really going to have to address the problems as the Father sees them.

In short, I wonder if this is all just to stir the pot to piss off the Bishop. I don't think any of us can know either way.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 21, 2009 - 10:58AM #9
hewy1952

Sep 21, 2009 -- 10:09AM, danman916 wrote:

Personally, I take no issue with either Father Gilgannon or Bishop Finn. I don't have a dog in this fight, but one thing that I did notice was that for everyone who commented that Father's letter was done with courtesy, what he did was to take a matter between his Bishop and him and put it in the public. Typically, one who has courtesy in mind isn't going to do what he did, because he is smart enough to know that an open letter like this is polemical in nature, and will only serve to stir the pot to sew discord among the diocese.

Now, I am not judging Father Gilgannon because I have no idea what his motives were. There could very well be these issues in the diocese. He may be stating them correctly, or he may be interpreting them to be far greater than they actually are. There is no real way for anyone here to tell since none of us is involved in the workings of the diocese and none of us has had first hand experience with Bishop Finn.

So while, in reading this letter, it appears that, at the very least, there are perceptions that the Bishop should (or needs to) pastorally address since his priests feel this way; I wonder what affect this is really going to have to address the problems as the Father sees them.

In short, I wonder if this is all just to stir the pot to piss off the Bishop. I don't think any of us can know either way.

I had a classmate in La  Paz. 

It was very difficult to communicate by telephone or by email. 

Formerly, the auxiliary bishop visited--even Bishop May visited--the St. Louis missionaries.

Wonder if that happened with the KC sponsored parish in La Paz?

I'm not taking bets.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 21, 2009 - 3:16PM #10
johnnyjoe

I'm working under a deadline for a project estimate due this evening, but I'll take a few moments to post a few of quick thoughts for chumming the water with the sharks here.

First, I'm glad the usual suspects here had the good sense to compliment and fetch over Fr. Gillgannon's rude "open letter".  You guys get little to cheer over lately, and I was afraid you were going to let this one slip aside.  Good Work!

Second - it seems not too "courteous" of a man to come back to his home diocese for a heart operation on the company dime, if you will, and then PUBLICLY dress the boss down through old Tom Fox's blog.  I imagine he would be bitter indeed if the Bishop asked him to stay here and be assigned locally - something that would have been better for his health, to be sure.  Heck, they would have taken him in minute at Visitation, and he could of done the blue-hair ex-nun coffee clatch tour here, making all the long-in-the-tooth liberals here feel good about themselves.

No, the Bishop respected his wishes and have allowed him to remain in Mission to LaPaz - not that the good father has much gratitude for that.....

(BTW, since I don't take that paper, could someone let us know if the letter made the print addition?)

Third - The letter is, as Dan observed, a political statement hidden behind Fr. Gillgannon's "pastoral concern".  It could have been written by a Democratic Party political hack, but instead this fine man of the cloth chose to shoot the bishop in the back from Bolivia.  Very noble.  Very Christian.  Very "courteous"......

Glad he made it easy for you guys to gloat, though.  With NCR on the ropes - readership is WAY down, and they have their building up for sale (dropping the price like a rock, I am told) - youse guys may lose an important dissenting mouthpiece one of these days....

I am always amused how the attitude of agressiveness that is so common here - the personal attacks on Bishop Finn, based on a political point of view - are somehow to be justified by the reasoning that he is "damaging" the "true" spirit of Vatican II.   No one here - save myself - even knows the man, but are willing to demonize him because they want the Church made in thier own image.

Ah well, this passes for "debate" in this little corner of the world.....

"If Samson could slay 1000 Philistines with only the jawbone of an ass,
think what God could do with a complete ass."
St. John Vianney
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook