Switch to Forum Live View HAPPY NEW YEAR! La Shana Tova
5 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2009 - 5:35AM #1
river8101

tashlikh.  La Chaim!!

To all my Jewish friends, Lashana Tova, I wish you all a good of friendship, health and properity.   May you and your family and friends forget any problems between you and move on to forgiveness and happy lives.

Some Jews walk to a flowing water, such as a creek or river, today and throw in small pieces of bread from their pockets and cast them into water. This is a symbolic way to cast any regretful things we have done in our lives (and imo), that have been done to us too.  This practice is not discussed in our bible but it's a custom that has gone on for a long time among European Jews. Though my family never did this, I do wonder where  the custom came from?

"The name of this ceremony is derived from a verse in Michah (7:19) which states, “and cast [tashlich] into the depths of the sea all of their sins.” Though it is clearly meant as a metaphor, Jews began the custom of literally “casting their sins” into the sea every Rosh Hashanah."

The earliest recorded source for the custom of tashlich is found in the writings of the Maharil, Rabbi Yaakov Moelin (Germany, 1365-1427).

Anyway, have a good year.  To Life!!!  To Life!!!  La Chaim!

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 28, 2009 - 8:06AM #2
Ben Masada

Sep 19, 2009 -- 5:35AM, river8101 wrote:

tashlikh.  La Chaim!!

To all my Jewish friends, Lashana Tova, I wish you all a good of friendship, health and properity.   May you and your family and friends forget any problems between you and move on to forgiveness and happy lives.

Some Jews walk to a flowing water, such as a creek or river, today and throw in small pieces of bread from their pockets and cast them into water. This is a symbolic way to cast any regretful things we have done in our lives (and imo), that have been done to us too.  This practice is not discussed in our bible but it's a custom that has gone on for a long time among European Jews. Though my family never did this, I do wonder where  the custom came from?

"The name of this ceremony is derived from a verse in Michah (7:19) which states, “and cast [tashlich] into the depths of the sea all of their sins.” Though it is clearly meant as a metaphor, Jews began the custom of literally “casting their sins” into the sea every Rosh Hashanah."

The earliest recorded source for the custom of tashlich is found in the writings of the Maharil, Rabbi Yaakov Moelin (Germany, 1365-1427).

Anyway, have a good year.  To Life!!!  To Life!!!  La Chaim!

Thanks River, I wish the same to you and all yours.  A shana of blessings, health and prosperity, especially in the achievement of knowledge.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook