Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Jimmy Carter leaves Southern Baptist Church over treatment of women
5 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2009 - 8:52PM #21
Larosser

I find it really interesting how circular the logic can be...."It's not the church that discriminates, it's people with bad intent, so don't blame us all"...."It's not that I  don't want women in the ministry, it's that the bible doesn't permit it"..."Well, I don't have any problem with it, but people wouldn't accept it"...."Oh, that's really not the Bible, it's just the way that sect interprets it".....

The reasoning goes round and round and round, but somehow there's always an explanation for why women can't fully participate.

Jimmy may have the right idea. Zero tolerance.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 25, 2009 - 8:36PM #22
Roodog

Jul 21, 2009 -- 8:45AM, Adelphe wrote:

The SBC is deeply devoted to Christ, godly in most everyway, and holds Scripture in the utmost esteem as does Carter. I am sure leaving was a heart-wrenching decision for him and not something done lightly. The SBC funds some of the largest charities in the US, and was instrumental in the notion of separation of church and state. Are they a sinful church? Yes, all churches are sinful churches. Hospitals for sinners, not museums for saints. btw, from wiki, SBC position statements: * Priesthood of all believers—Laypersons have the same right as ordained ministers to communicate with God, interpret Scripture, and minister in Christ's name[27] * Soul competency—the accountability of each person before God[28] * Creeds and confessions—Statements of belief are revisable in light of Scripture. The Bible is the final word.[29] * Women in ministry—Women participate equally with men in the priesthood of all believers. Their role is crucial, their wisdom, grace and commitment exemplary. Women are an integral part of Southern Baptist boards, faculties, mission teams, writer pools, and professional staffs. The role of pastor, however, is specifically reserved for men.[30] * Church and state—a free church in a free state. Neither one should control the affairs of the other.[31] * Missions—We honor the indigenous principle in missions. We cannot, however, compromise doctrine or give up who we are to win the favor of those we try to reach or those with whom we desire to work.[32] * Autonomy of local church—We affirm the autonomy of the local church.[33] * Cooperation—The Cooperative Program of missions is integral to the Southern Baptist genius.[34] * Sexuality—We affirm God's plan for marriage and sexual intimacy—one man and one woman, for life. Homosexuality is not a valid alternative lifestyle.[35] * Sanctity of life—At the moment of conception, a new being enters the universe, a human being, a being created in God's image.[36] Women are not denigrated as a rule in the SBC. And congregations that elect to install a female pastor, though rare, are not disbarred from the SBC as they are autonomous as affirmed above.

Thank you very much, I could not have done a better job of presenting my church's position.

Mr Carter's church in Plains is autonomous like all other SBC churches with its own teaching authority. Our Convention is a network more than a denomination, The SBC owns no churches but each church owns its property. How would this be a problem with Mr Carter unless it's with his own local church?

The SBC has taken a stand on the sanctity of life and on marriage, unfortunately these have become hot button political issues. Both parties have tried to recruit the church using these issues. Mr. Carter's action has a political feel to it( to be fair, so does the acts of James Dobson, etc.)

We are trying to avoid a political and legal situation in which we will be hailed into court for our stand in matters of faith and morals.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2009 - 2:16AM #23
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Note that while a relaxed (site-wide) ROC standard applied to the discussion on that forum, the tighter forum ROCs -- and all local guidelines for this forum -- apply to discussion from this point forward.

Merope
Beliefnet Community Host
Hot Topics Zone

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook