Switch to Forum Live View Leaving Conservative Christianity
5 years ago  ::  May 29, 2009 - 10:37PM #1
Kimdfess

I recently left a fairly Conservative Christian church and am currently seeking out progressive churches. First, I would appreciate any advice on how to do this. Second, I have been able to find ministers to talk with and relate to. But I am having trouble finding peers(I am a 23 year old male stuck between done with college and having a real job). What are good ways to find people may age who love and desire to serve God but dont treat the bible as the conservative world does. Third, I have decided to blog my expierence and invite anyone, especially those going through similar things, to read.

<community.beliefnet.com/kimdfess/blog/?p...>

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 30, 2009 - 4:10PM #2
Stardove

Welcome to the forum.  I am going to link a thread from the Progressive Christians forum for you. 

It's titled Your Church.

Not all the answers will be found there, but you can read what Progressive Christians have to say about their church.  I believe that Unity Churches are a great place for one to still practice their faith, but in a positive way of looking at the message of the Christ and Jesus showing us the way to live.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2009 - 6:28PM #3
Lavander1685

I am going through the same thing. Want to be friends and support each other? I'll add you as a friend. Peace, light and love!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2009 - 8:26PM #4
Stardove

Jul 6, 2009 -- 6:28PM, Lavander1685 wrote:

I am going through the same thing. Want to be friends and support each other? I'll add you as a friend. Peace, light and love!

Welcome to Beliefnet and to the Discuss Progressive Christianity forum.  I had accepted your offer of friendship.  Thanks.  Let me know if I can help you to navigate through the site.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2009 - 5:33PM #5
Solidgranit.com

If by conservative one means fundamentalist/evangelical Chrstianity, then they are quite liberal in their theology.  The Roman Catholic Church and Eastern and Oriental Orthodox Churches are technically in a historical sense the most conservative in their theology. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2009 - 10:32PM #6
BetteTheRedde

You may confusing "conservative" with "orthodox". The Catholic and Orthodox churches are orthodox. The fundamentalist churches in the U.S. tend to be very small-c conservative.

"Sometimes they are referred to as the 'radical Right.' But the fact is that there is nothing radical about them. They offer no novel solutions to the problems that plague them; indeed, they offer no solutions at all. They are immensely discontented with things as they are and furiously impatient with almost everyone in public office who can in any way be held responsible for their frustrations. But it cannot be said that they hold any clearly stated objectives or have any specific program either in common or individuals. They are fundamentally and temperamentally 'aginners.' And perhaps the commonest characteristic among them is anger. They can fairly be called, if nothing else, the Rampageous Right."

Alan Barth, New York Times, November 26, 1961
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2010 - 7:38PM #7
Bob_Bennett

Start with Unity or any other "New Thought" churches as a starting point and while you are continuing your search for what you want next.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook