Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

9 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2009 - 7:08PM #1
Utilyan

Suppose I took a vow/precept of ignorance do you think I got a good chance of breaking it and getting enlightened?   And wouldn't you have to eventually break it to complete it?

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2009 - 7:53PM #2
RenGalskap
Ignorance is one of the three poisons (causes of duhkha), so I'm not sure that anyone could handle all the suffering and stress that would come from deliberately pursuing it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2009 - 6:02PM #3
Utilyan

Like the suffering isn't realley suffering but we percieve it so and so it is?

Not accepting ignorance is an act of fear?

Part of full knowledge could be what its like not to know.

Cause we sorta set this high standard like a checklist of should's and should not's and there is a sorta suffering putting up with the list.

An agression, like a mistrust of self.

Like I know if I trusted nature/God/life completely then there wouldn't be much resistence, cautioness, fear of just being myself.

All day long I know im not a dog but a captain obvious inside still seeks an acknowledgment of some kind.  

Like when you get the "i don't know" feeling.  Is that ignorance? and if it is So what?  

Cause when "I Don't Know" i get this agressive negative response....... where I would imagine someone at ease with it all might not sweat it at all.

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2009 - 11:58PM #4
RenGalskap
Sorry Ut, I misunderstood you. I thought you meant ignorance in the sense of avidya or moha.

A vow to accept that you don't know? That might work. Try it and report back, Private Ut. If you survive the experiment, we'll give the pills to the rest of the platoon. ;)

Cause we sorta set this high standard like a checklist of should's and should not's and there is a sorta suffering putting up with the list.

I agree.

An agression, like a mistrust of self.

Like I know if I trusted nature/God/life completely then there wouldn't be much resistence, cautioness, fear of just being myself.

Is this on your list of shoulds? :)

Fear and mistrust are built into "self".

Cause when "I Don't Know" i get this agressive negative response....... where I would imagine someone at ease with it all might not sweat it at all.

Why is someone else's response to "I don't know" better than yours? How do you know that one response is good and another is bad?

I don't like the agressive negative either, but that's evaluating one emotion with another emotion. Do you think that's a good way of evaluating my responses?
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2009 - 2:44AM #5
Kartari

Apr 15, 2009 -- 7:08PM, Utilyan wrote:

Suppose I took a vow/precept of ignorance do you think I got a good chance of breaking it and getting enlightened?   And wouldn't you have to eventually break it to complete it?

I was going to ask why anyone would want to pursue a vow of ignorance, but I see from your subsequent post that you seem to be really asking about a vow of accepting not knowing. :)

Coming to terms with any "negative aggressive" response to the recognition that you don't have the immediate answer(s) to what you desire to know is to simply be present in the moment.  When you are fully present in the moment, such as through some form of meditation practice, you can come to let go of the need to know.  Present moment awareness solves a lot of mental chatter, I find.  I wish I were better at it myself, as I also struggle with really desiring to know certain things in particular (I have a fear of death that I suffer with, and a corresponding desire to know what really happens when we die, if anything), but I know that this practice really helps in general.  The truth is, the only way we will ever know the deepest mysteries, if it is possible at all for us, is to be enlightened, and present moment awareness is key to enlightenment... so when we fully release the need to know, we open ourselves to the best chance of knowing. :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2009 - 4:31PM #6
Serenity1552

I think is is important to be aware of one's  ignorance.  As I pointed out in my bio, I am aware, that I know a tiny fraction of what I don't now

When one is aware of how little they know,  they  become more open minded, and allow themselves to learn from experience.

This awareness, is no quarentee that enlightenment will occurr, but at least you now have the potential for true wisdom

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook