Page 5 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View If Jesus Were Alive Today...
6 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2009 - 5:24AM #41
Xristocharis

Apr 13, 2009 -- 8:32PM, swinter5 wrote:

He would be ultra-patriotic, loving, next to God, His country and ALL the people in it.

I think it's this line that I find the most unsettling.

It's not just that you said Jesus would be patriotic, which even then I'd be in opposition to the statement; it's that you said Jesus would be ultra-patriotic.

When you read the Gospels, do you honestly read of an "ultra-patriotic" Jesus? Because being a patriot in the Roman Empire didn't involve just respecting the emperor or swearing allegiance to a flag (itself being arguably idolatrous), but swearing allegiance to Caesar. Are you aware of what that entailed? Do you understand the political and religious climate of the time? The very coins minted during the reign of Tiberius proclaimed him the son of a god, reading, "Tiberius Caesar, Son of the Divine Augustus".

Would Jesus be patriotic today? In what country? If Jesus were living in what is today the State of Israel, how do you think He would feel about the Israeli-Palestinian situation? Both sides have killed hundreds, needless death and destruction of equal share, would Jesus support the Israeli government ultra-patriotically?

Or are you thinking if Jesus was living here in the West, in America perhaps. Do you think Jesus would be a "proud American"? What if Jesus had been living in Iraq, how patriotic do you think He would have been under the regime of Sadam? How do you think He'd feel about the war and what it's brought to that land being a resident there? Or a resident here.

Let's take a good, long and hard look at Jesus as the Gospels depict Him. Let's take that ever so terribly seriously and then perhaps, when we begin to contemplate the ramifications of our thinking on this matter, perhaps it will revolutionize us.

What if Jesus had been an Iraqi killed in the bombings and subsequent war?

Because, here's the real kicker, He was.

"Whatever you do to the least of these brothers of Mine, you do it unto Me."

-Jon

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." - Dom Hélder Câmara
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2009 - 9:38AM #42
jumbojava

Apr 3, 2009 -- 12:07PM, Beliefnetsue wrote:

If Jesus Were Alive Today...

What kind of man would He be?  Where would He live?  What would He do for work?  What would He have studied in school?  What would He believe about religion?  About politics?  About the state of the world economy?  About the environment?[/qupte]

How would He be an activist?  What would He choose to fight for?  Or against?

And if you went looking for Him, where would you find Him on a Saturday night?

Have fun with this one.    There are of course no right or wrong answers!

Why couldnt he be a woman?  What if she is gay?  Or intersexed? Black? Native American? Hispanic? 

"How many broken promises until we get the message, that until we know the equal we will never feel the free?" ~ Jon Anderson
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2009 - 12:50PM #43
Luella

Apr 3, 2009 -- 12:27PM, hamerhas wrote:

What has given you cause to believe He would be so different?

He would still be the son of God and would die for our sins. So it wouldn't matter where he would spend his time.The bible says he will help the lesser of our brethern.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2009 - 1:19PM #44
Utilyan

You know I bum alot of ciggerettes from Jesus.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2009 - 1:28PM #45
mebjk

"If Jesus were alive today..."

That is not an "if" for me.  Jesus is alive, I have no doubt.

What are we waiting for?  Live!

mebjk

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2009 - 2:04PM #46
maverin

Apr 3, 2009 -- 12:07PM, Beliefnetsue wrote:

What kind of man would He be?  Where would He live?  What would He do for work?  

There's no 'if' - Christ *is* alive today in the Church, the Church is the 'continuation of the humanity of Jesus Christ', to quote Pope Benedict. When she is striving and receiving the truth, she is receiving the Holy Spirit, and she is that Spirit incarnate. So if you want to find an answer to these questions, perhaps you should look at the Universal Church.

Of course, there were exceptions where people were acting in the Church's name but were not actually of the Church... but in the entire history of the Church the sacraments were offered, people came together in unity, saints and martyrs were born, and many great miracles were performed: in those acts you can clearly see the presence of Jesus today.

- maverin

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2009 - 9:35PM #47
he-man

Apr 13, 2009 -- 8:32PM, swinter5 wrote:

I see Jesus today as a Jewish rabbi, though conservative in his views.  He would be ultra-patriotic, loving, next to God, His country and ALL the people in it.  He would serve a congregation, but I also see him, perhaps, teaching on PBS, enlightening the curious, maybe mainstream, people who would surely like to see the Son of God, and ask Him many questions.  Whether H would reveal Himself as such, would be questionable, though he DID identify Himself to the Twelve in that way. Would we elect Him to public office?  I think the general public would think he was too evangelistic and conservative to be a Congressman or a Senator.  I don't believe He would make a "spectacle" of Himself; just allow people to "read" into Him what they will. It would be soooo neat to meet Him, here, right now, and sit at His feet and just listen to his parables and stories.

Ultra-Patrotic? I hope you haven't had your supper yet! Have you had your SUPPER?  Now if you really aren't a wimp,and want to be a Soldier,  here is how you will do it when you attend the supper of the great God;  Har-Mageddon, 'hill of Megiddo' in the plain of Megiddo, Israel, site of the final battle of the kings of the Earth and their armies against Christ.

And he gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon.  

And I saw an angel standing in the sun; and he cried with a loud voice, saying to all the fowls that fly in the midst of heaven, Come and gather yourselves together unto the supper of the great God;

That ye may eat the flesh of kings, and the flesh of captains, and the flesh of mighty men, and the flesh of horses, and of them that sit on them, and the flesh of all men, both free and bond, both small and great.

And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against him that sat on the horse, and against his army. Rev 16:16, 19:18,19

But if you are watchful:

Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a twoedged sword in their hand;
To execute vengeance upon the heathen, and punishments upon the people;
To bind their kings with chains, and their nobles with fetters of iron;
To execute upon them the judgment written: this honour have all his saints. Praise ye the LORD. Ps 149:6-9

1Ch 25:5  All these were the sons of Heman the king’s seer (chozeh= to see) in the words of God, to lift up the horn.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2010 - 8:30PM #48
Ann4

he is coming back  one day and i want to be reddie when he come  but i no that i have dong wrong in my lift and i no that i have to pay for all that i have done so iam asking for help is there any body out there that can help me get back what i once had with god   i need help i dont wont to be lleft down here when he come   yes iam a siner need help

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2010 - 10:04PM #49
visio

Oh no!  he won't be coming back.  That interest had long gone off him.   1,400 years ago he was sighted at the 2nd Heaven.   By now he is most likely above the 7th Heaven and dancing, barbequing and honeymooning in the Garden of Eden, with his wife .  That would probably take about another equivalent 48,000 earthly years before he would be readmitted into the Kingdom (the Throne) where he came from, originally.  If and only if he will come back, who knows - he could be among the cattles taht walk on th eearth or monkey/apes that hang on the trees.  So when you eat your meat and vegetables and fruits of the trees, just think about him.  Who is saving whom?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2010 - 10:12PM #50
Justme333

Jan 12, 2010 -- 8:30PM, Ann4 wrote:

he is coming back  one day and i want to be reddie when he come  but i no that i have dong wrong in my lift and i no that i have to pay for all that i have done so iam asking for help is there any body out there that can help me get back what i once had with god   i need help i dont wont to be lleft down here when he come   yes iam a siner need help

Hi Ann4,

Welcome to Beliefnet and the Discuss Christianity Board.  Have you had a chance to explore some of other forums on the site?  There are a lot that you might enjoy, here is a link to get you started (if you want to) community.beliefnet.com/go/forum/viewboa... .  Any way - again welcome, and I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Justme333
Beliefnet Community Host
Discuss Christianity Board

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."  Will Rogers

"Give to those who ask, and don't turn away from those who want to borrow."  Matthew 5:42

"Charity is no substitute for justice withheld."         St. Augustine

"Your love for God is only as great as the love you have for the person you love least."  Dorothy Day

"If you want peace, work for justice." Pope Paul VI
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook