Switch to Forum Live View Twitter and Televangelists
6 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2009 - 11:59AM #1
Beliefnetsabee

Last week someone on Twitter, who had been blogging so as to make people think he was Robert Schuller, was shut down. In your opinion do televangelists give a positive representation of Evangelical Christianity? And do you think that using media, such as Twitter, will be an asset to them?

I always remember that for every word typed there is a real person sitting behind the keyboard.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2009 - 9:53PM #2
Theo

Mar 30, 2009 -- 11:59AM, Beliefnetsabee wrote:

Last week someone on Twitter, who had been blogging so as to make people think he was Robert Schuller, was shut down. In your opinion do televangelists give a positive representation of Evangelical Christianity? And do you think that using media, such as Twitter, will be an asset to them?

Some do, most do not in my opinion. TV is not a good place to find out what Christianity of anykind is all about - except of course the TV kind. As far as Robert Schuller is concerned, he is not an Evangelical Christian minister. He may dispute that, but I am absolutely sure that most Evangelical ministers would agree with me, especially those who know something about Robert Schuller.

As far as Twitter is concerned, I admit that I am not that familiar with it - I did look it up on the net, but like any other media information network - it can be used for good and bad. Just depends upon the people behind the key-board.

~ Theophilus

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2009 - 7:08AM #3
river8101

Before we got our new TV a few years ago, we were able block any channels we wanted. We blocked all religious programs, as we found many of them offensive.   The shouting preachers, the ongiong praying and vicious lectures were gone as they didn't agree with our perceptions of religion.  After we got the new set, we were unable to block channels.  I have forgotten why, but it didn't work.  Now, we just skip over them.  I do not think that religious programs such as those belong on television.  I'm sure that many of you over here will not agree, but many people resent such programs coming into their homes.

I don't know what is meant by Twitter.

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2009 - 12:18PM #4
rocketjsquirell

I really dislike television preachers. On the other hand, I suppose they have an audience and t.v. programmers want to provide something for everyone. So, I just don't watch them. 

I do find it very disturbing that someone would pretend to be Mr. Schuller (or anyone else) on Twitter. Mr. Schuller has a right to his own identity (whatever anyone may think of him as a person, preacher or otherwise) and the right to expect that his name and identity would not be used to deceive people.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2009 - 1:31PM #5
klm

Apr 15, 2009 -- 7:08AM, river8101 wrote:

Before we got our new TV a few years ago, we were able block any channels we wanted. We blocked all religious programs, as we found many of them offensive. The shouting preachers, the ongiong praying and vicious lectures were gone as they didn't agree with our perceptions of religion. After we got the new set, we were unable to block channels. I have forgotten why, but it didn't work. Now, we just skip over them. I do not think that religious programs such as those belong on television. I'm sure that many of you over here will not agree, but many people resent such programs coming into their homes.

I don't know what is meant by Twitter.

that's exactly what you should do if you find any program offensive.   skip over them.   I distlike tv evengelist buthate more the smut I see everyday.    I skip over a lot of channels

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 25, 2009 - 7:43AM #6
river8101

Me too. Whether it's religious or political evangelism.  Plenty of that on TV too, and it sucks.   There's really not much I do watch on TV.  A few game shows re-broadcast from eons ago, and that's about it.  I have plenty of movies and would rather watch them.  TV is boring and the amount of ads, horrendous! 

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 25, 2009 - 5:17PM #7
Elijah

mickeymullen is on twitter.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook