6 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2009 - 10:07AM #1
Alnoor

I find a lot of the Gnostic teachings resonate within me, and I'm definitely intrigued by what little I do know. I would like to know Gonosticism's explanation for what seems to me like a glaring flaw in reasoning. According to Stephen Hoeller, this world is imperfect because it was made that way by the Demiurgos, a flawed diety. Therefore, it would be counterproductive to worship him as a diety or immerse oneself in any materiality that is of his creation. Now if we dismiss this world as beneath a higher, more spiritual world due to the disqualifying nature of its creator then by the same token why would we strive to attain enlightenment/knowledge in order to reach a place or achieve a union or whatever where that imperfection actually originated. The Demiurgos imperfection originated from the ultimate God. If He was so perfect, how could He beget imprefection?

If anyone can answer me or suggest a helpful text, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2009 - 7:34PM #2
Alnoor

I'd like to add I know that Gnostic myths aren't meant to be taken literally but that still doesn't help me grasp my head around it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2009 - 12:21PM #3
BBarton

I guess I view it like the shadow.  It isn't who you are and it disappears if you or the light depart.

There's several creation stories, I found 3 in the Bible alone.  In the 1st biblical one, it tells of the creation of humanity.  "In our image created we them; male and female created we them."  It's later, the body is created and the thinking of ourselves as being apart from divinity overtakes our collective thought, and divides us.  We are divided by sex, age, race, etc...

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook