Page 1 of 29  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 29 Next
Switch to Forum Live View sanctity of marriage
6 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2009 - 3:45PM #1
Aka_me

IF the church actually thought holy matrimony is sacred...

THEN they would find a way to get divorce rates down near zero, not 13%, but 0.1 to 1%.

"A 1993  study published in Demography [magazine] showed that Mormons marrying within  their church are least likely of all Americans to become divorced. Only 13 percent of  LDS couples have divorced after five years of marriage, compared with 20  percent for religiously homogamist unions among Catholics and Protestants  and 27 percent among Jews. However, when a Mormon marries outside his or her  denomination, the divorce rate soars to 40 percent -- second only to  mixed-faith marriages involving a Jewish spouse (42 percent)."

It found that about 26% of  both Mormons and non-Mormons had experienced at least one divorce at some  time during their life.

church leadership is smoking from the same bong they lit up when they created interracial marriage laws to protect the sanctity of marriage.

not knowing WHAT sanctity means, because they divorce just like everyone else does.

not being able to debate is one thing, employing censorship to avoid debate is beyond words.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2009 - 3:53PM #2
mecdukebec

You know, 'homogamist' almost makes me blush.

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2009 - 5:00PM #3
Kemmer

Since Mormons think they'll have to divorce in heaven as well as on Earth, most would just rather suffer, have affairs, or be quit of Mormonism so as not to sully LDS records.  Probably their church will counsel the latter if there's no hope for the marriage.  Membership statistics are VERY important to Mormons.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2009 - 6:22PM #4
moksha8088

No religious group can order their members to be happy within their marriage.

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2009 - 7:38PM #5
Svetlana

Mar 15, 2009 -- 6:22PM, moksha8088 wrote:

No religious group can order their members to be happy within their marriage.

No, but many, and LDS, Inc. is one of them, strongly imply that if one is unhappy in marriage as described by that group, then there is something morally wrong with that person.  There's nothing wrong with that group's description of marriage, only with those who don't conform to that description.

"No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it."  ~ (common sense)

"Never place a period where God has placed a comma."  ~ Gracie Allen

"I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"I wonder sometimes if we ever give God a headache." ~ Dontay Hall, age 8
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2009 - 9:06PM #6
Mattscar75

Mar 15, 2009 -- 5:00PM, Kemmer wrote:

Since Mormons think they'll have to divorce in heaven as well as on Earth, most would just rather suffer, have affairs, or be quit of Mormonism so as not to sully LDS records.  Probably their church will counsel the latter if there's no hope for the marriage.  Membership statistics are VERY important to Mormons.

"Probably their church will counsel the latter if there's no hope for the marriage."

Where do you come up with telling what Church leaders will think and do in a situation. Its like me being a Mormon could prognosticate when the Vatican will change the color of the smoke when the next Pope is chosen. I am sure you would feel at a loss if you were ex'd from the Catholic Church.

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."   Black Elk
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2009 - 9:17PM #7
Svetlana

Mar 15, 2009 -- 9:06PM, Mattscar75 wrote:

Where do you come up with telling what Church leaders will think and do in a situation. Its like me being a Mormon could prognosticate when the Vatican will change the color of the smoke when the next Pope is chosen. I am sure you would feel at a loss if you were ex'd from the Catholic Church.

You may have misunderstood Kemmer's post, because excommunication had nothing to do with what he seems to have meant.  He didn't say anything about how any Mormon leader would react to a specific marriage relationship, only how they would react in general under a general set of circumstances.  That would be like you prognosticating how the cardinals would vote in general on a pope, given a set of general characteristics they consider when they vote.

"No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it."  ~ (common sense)

"Never place a period where God has placed a comma."  ~ Gracie Allen

"I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"I wonder sometimes if we ever give God a headache." ~ Dontay Hall, age 8
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2009 - 10:00PM #8
Kemmer

I am sure you would feel at a loss if you were ex'd from the Catholic Church.

Nobody is "ex'd" from the Catholic Church for bad-mouthing the church.  Mormonism has made excommunication an art form,  whereas it remains an extremely rare occurance within Christianity.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2009 - 10:35PM #9
Mattscar75

"Nobody is "ex'd" from the Catholic Church for bad-mouthing the church."

If they did that where would be the end of the excommunications if the Catholic Church did that. 

Doesn't the RCC use communion as a way of sort of disfellowshipping (in Mormon terms)some members from partaking the bread and wine?

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."   Black Elk
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2009 - 11:06PM #10
icedlattee

Mar 15, 2009 -- 10:35PM, Mattscar75 wrote:

"Nobody is "ex'd" from the Catholic Church for bad-mouthing the church."

If they did that where would be the end of the excommunications if the Catholic Church did that. 

Doesn't the RCC use communion as a way of sort of disfellowshipping (in Mormon terms)some members from partaking the bread and wine?

You're talking about excommunication.  Hense the term excommunication.   : )   It is done very seldom and never for speaking their mind, negative or possitive about the church.

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints. The sinners are much more fun.

Billy Joel
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 29  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 29 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook