Page 3 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Why are progressive churches so behind???
6 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2009 - 3:23PM #21
Jlaustill

Mar 3, 2009 -- 2:50PM, grampawombat wrote:

Still, when it comes to determining which congregations are progressive, the question is not what kind of music they use. For example, are there congregations in Billings that support LGBT (lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, transgender) rights? Are there any that state that Christianity is only one of many valid religions? What does it mean to be a progressive congregation anyway?

My intention is not to label which churches are and/or are not progressive.  What music they use certainly has nothing to do with that definition.  I am merely pointing out that non of the progressive churches here have music I consider acceptable.  To answer your questions, yes, all of the churches that consider themselves progressive here are open and affirming churches.  None of them state that Christianity is only one of many valid religions that I know of.  If we believe what Jesus himself said then we can not believe that statement.

Your last questions is a great one, how do you define progressive Christianity?  I like wikipedias description very much, have you read it?

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2009 - 8:28PM #22
Corgi

I agree completely with the OP.  Mainline churches do need to start using music that is relevant to the times in worship.  I wish my church would do so, and, as a pastor, I can tell you why we haven't.  Quite honestly, we are being held hostage by our very expensive organ and the 2 musicians who play it.  When I first arrived here, I began using praise choruses in worship.  I received an e-mail signed by both organists and my choir director, threatening to resign if I kept using this music.  I think that should've been a firing offense, but I had already learned that this church valued that organ and classical musicians more than they valued anything I do.  So, I knew I was screwed.

But it needs to change.  The organ is a culturally irrelevant instrument, as dead a worship tool as Latin is a dead language.  NO ONE listens to organ music for entertainment any more.  But mainline churches like to attract the well-educated and well-heeled, the same people who attend symphony concerts.  So, they create worship services that closely resemble symphony concerts.  In this way, the same people who wouldn't be caught dead in a symphony concert are not likely to venture into mainline churches, either.  And the leadership of those churches is fine with that. 

I don't attend symphony concerts, even though I like some of that kind of music.  I do NOT, however, want to sit with a bunch of stuffed shirtswho will GLARE at me if I should dare to cough or sneeze, or if I should unwrap a cough drop to keep from coughing or sneezing. 

Mainline churches should either be honest about the elitism that inspires their worship services, or change those worship services.  These are not welcoming churches.  They are as narrow in their focus as the homophobic churches they like to criticize.  Their entire church growth theory is based on one thought--"Where else are you gonna go?".  As the emergent church movement grows, those churches may find there are other alternatives for those who don't relate to 400 year old hymns played on irrelevant instruments.  And then those churches will finally die....but with their well-maintained, expensive organs intact. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2009 - 3:30AM #23
Sarov

It has been my experience that none of the 'mega churches' using rock music with untraditional instruments are progressive at all.  In fact they tend to be very conservative  to fundamentalist.

My theory is that the conservative churches use modern music to draw in the crowds, such mega chruches use this music along with shopping mall architecture and "unchurchy" church to attract people who don't like church or religion at all.  Since they disallow places that have modern music,clubs etc., they bring that music into their churches.

I always thought that we were the bring the 'world' to the church, instead of bringing the church to the 'world'?

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2009 - 7:17PM #24
Bob_Bennett

If rock music was what I wanted to listen to on Sunday morning, I would stay home and turn on the radio.

Progressive Christianity is about beliefs and insights into Jesus and his teachings.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2009 - 10:23PM #25
Ambassadors

I like bob's reply.  I am new so let me give you some of my background.  I am a Christian by faith and Baptist by choice. I am the Pastor of a Baptist Chruch.  The Church I Pastor belongs to a denomination of Baptist who are Progressive.  My congregation is "Fundamentally" Baptist with the exception that we believe Marriage is to be extended to all individuals regardless of gender. The second exception is that my congregation along with my Sisters and Brothers welcomes Gay Lesbian Bisexual and Transgendered individuals into the full life and work of the church.  

The issue of Rock Music in church is one that is interesting.  If I read the original question as "Why are Progressive Churches so behind?" refering to music...Then I cannot answer that except to speculate that the hymns and worship used in those congregations are sacred to the congregations who use them.  If you were not in Montana I would invite you to our church.  We are transitioning away from hymns and working toward a balance between sacred hymns and contemporary worship...Not so "Rock and Roll' but certainly up beat.   The question that I struggled with as the Pastor was who will this offend?  When my oldes member piped up in a recent meeting  with the comment "Let's breathe some life in the old girl" was the confirmation that we would do well to add contemporary music to our worship.  I hope that you find some answer in this post. 

Another suggestion would simply be to speak to the Pastor and Leaders to see if you can have a contemporary worship service....See how that goes...and move from there.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2009 - 4:16PM #26
Stardove

Jul 5, 2009 -- 10:23PM, Ambassadors wrote:

I like bob's reply.  I am new so let me give you some of my background.  I am a Christian by faith and Baptist by choice. I am the Pastor of a Baptist Chruch.  The Church I Pastor belongs to a denomination of Baptist who are Progressive.  My congregation is "Fundamentally" Baptist with the exception that we believe Marriage is to be extended to all individuals regardless of gender. The second exception is that my congregation along with my Sisters and Brothers welcomes Gay Lesbian Bisexual and Transgendered individuals into the full life and work of the church.  

The issue of Rock Music in church is one that is interesting.  If I read the original question as "Why are Progressive Churches so behind?" refering to music...Then I cannot answer that except to speculate that the hymns and worship used in those congregations are sacred to the congregations who use them.  If you were not in Montana I would invite you to our church.  We are transitioning away from hymns and working toward a balance between sacred hymns and contemporary worship...Not so "Rock and Roll' but certainly up beat.   The question that I struggled with as the Pastor was who will this offend?  When my oldes member piped up in a recent meeting  with the comment "Let's breathe some life in the old girl" was the confirmation that we would do well to add contemporary music to our worship.  I hope that you find some answer in this post. 

Another suggestion would simply be to speak to the Pastor and Leaders to see if you can have a contemporary worship service....See how that goes...and move from there.

Welcome to Beliefnet and the the Progressive Christians forum.  Hopefully you will get some insite from other members here while also adding some of your own to the forum discussions. 

Your host ~ Stardove

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The sun rises every morning and sheds light, vanquishing the night's darkness. The rooster also rises every morning only, unlike the sun, he simply makes noise. But the darkness of the night is dispelled by sunshine, not by the rooster's crowing.The world can use more light and less noise. Where I can, I want to be light.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2009 - 12:00AM #27
haggaion

Mar 3, 2009 -- 10:04AM, Jlaustill wrote:

Very well and good, but many people do.  A major part of evangalizing it forgetting about what YOU like and do, and figuring out what the people you are trying to reach like and do.  Then your goal is to show them Jesus's way, NOT your own way.

I think that idea is a bit too progressive for this group.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 23, 2009 - 7:07PM #28
Bob_Bennett

Mar 3, 2009 -- 10:04AM, Jlaustill wrote:

Mar 3, 2009 -- 9:04AM, Christianlib wrote:

jlaustill says:

" As long as these megachurches are funner to go to they will continue to attract many people. "

Maybe, but I don't go to church for "funner."

Very well and good, but many people do.  A major part of evangalizing it forgetting about what YOU like and do, and figuring out what the people you are trying to reach like and do.  Then your goal is to show them Jesus's way, NOT your own way.

Progressive religions are not about 'evangelizing'; that is at the opposite end of the sprectrum.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 24, 2009 - 6:40AM #29
Folkway

Sorry I'm getting to this thread so late in the game.

I think "progressive Christian" can be as much an ego posture as "Bible Believing Christian". People may pride themselves on a progressive identity (as I have done) but it doesn't say much. To me, the central issue is whether or not the Christians in question are engaging in meaningful and transforming ways with the people in their communities and their world. This leaves me having to acknowledge that some of the most progressive churches in my area are the evangelicals who are doing a much better job of living out the Sermon on the Mount and Matthew 25 than some of the liberal churches who simply take progressive "positions". The distinctions between liberal/conservative and progressive/traditional aren't as black/white as we once thought they were.

Next week there will be an event in NH called "Soulfest". It's a three and a half day Christian event featuring music (Third Day, Casting Crowns, etc), worship, camping, food, and recreation. But it's also featuring a variety of seminars on issues such as the effect of war on children including child combatants and child slavery, the struggle to balance global and local efforts for justice, the need for clean water around the world, and conteplative spirituality.

The OP was about music. I'm not always a fan of all contemporary worship music but there's no denying it frees many people who otherwise would not have set foot inside a church to connect to God and others in worship. I can endure "Lord We Lift Your Name On High" knowing it means something to the person next to me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 24, 2009 - 10:01AM #30
Stardove

I wonder how a person can identify their self as Evangelical Christian , Born-Again Christian and Progressive Christian all at once.  This seems like confusion going on with their belief system.

Some Christians might begin their journey as a born again Christian moving on to be an evangelical Christian.  If they move into more progressive thoughts about what being a Christian means the evangelical teachings no longer feel right and expressing I AM born again also doesn't fit. IMHO

Progressive Christians honor the universal truths in all religions and respects each individual's right to choose a spiritual path.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The sun rises every morning and sheds light, vanquishing the night's darkness. The rooster also rises every morning only, unlike the sun, he simply makes noise. But the darkness of the night is dispelled by sunshine, not by the rooster's crowing.The world can use more light and less noise. Where I can, I want to be light.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook