Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Is Christianity determined valid or invalid upon the character of its adherents?
5 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2009 - 9:48PM #11
Chiyo

OmarKhayyam wrote:

The problems with the Christian myth are a lot deeper and more serious than the foibles of some of its adherents.

Agreed, Omar, agreed.

Still, I'd like to know your opinion. What do you think those problems are?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2009 - 10:13PM #12
Omarkhayyam
Its exclusivity. Its absolutism. Its self-righteous love me or burn forever attitude.

If there is a god  - IF there is a god - it is surely a lot bigger and more encompassing then some grumpy ill tempered and self important fairy god-father who blackmails his followers with that choice.
This is OZ? I want back to KS.

What was it? Click your heels together 3 times and say - what??
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2009 - 11:08PM #13
Chiyo

OmarKhayyam wrote:

Its exclusivity. Its absolutism. Its self-righteous love me or burn forever attitude.

If there is a god - IF there is a god - it is surely a lot bigger and more encompassing then some grumpy ill tempered and self important fairy god-father who blackmails his followers with that choice.

Looks like you and I have about the same list.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2009 - 10:19PM #14
MilesB

"by their fruits you shall know them."

Is that not found in the Bible? So technically, yes Christianity can be invalidated by Christians and their conduct. Mostly because the Prophets (Preachers, Theologians etc) have shown to bear bad fruit.

It is why I can not disavow that Quakers (The Society of Friends) to be "unChristian" their fruits have shown differently. It is also the only Christian sect that ALMOST converted me. However, I am too grounded in my own beliefs. Plus, scripturally speaking the Messiah has not full-filled all teh prophecies. The Christian Answer to this is, Jesus will fullfill them all upon his Second Comming.

Though I relate again, by their fruits you will know them... Christians in general judged by their OWN measure have bore quite the fruit. This to me only trivializes Christianity as a whole and does raise doubts in the validity of sects in Christianity.

FYI, I was raised in Japan a "Non-Christian" nation and I find they to have the lowest crime rate per capita around the world. They are mostly Buddhists and Shinto followers... I am half German and American Indian (Creek/Mvskoke) and grew up with my mother teaching me my ancestor's tradition.

To say that "most of the moral" people I know to be Christian is an outstanding statement that shows no humbleness from the person who's lips speak them. They also show no love. I could never make such a statement of any "faith" group. Culture to me is what breeds such atrocities.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook