Page 13 of 15  •  Prev 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Religious Discrimination
5 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 4:49PM #121
Chiyo

warlordofks wrote:

I'm sorry Chiyo for ranting on this way my Friend. You're too much a Lady to get down & dirty. Me, I enjoy exposing the truth about Christianity. They can't hurt or harm me anymore than they already have.

No apology necessary, Warlord. Your experiences are valid and no one can take them away from you... I'm sorry they happened to you and words are too small... But those experiences have made you a loving and protective father, a loving and protective grandfather. I envy your children and grandchildren, I wish I could have been as lucky as to have you as my father. And I count my blessings in having you as a friend. :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 5:56PM #122
world citizen
Steve1939 ~

Well there were "25,280,100 combatants’ deaths in WWII" so that would mean that there would have to be at least 25,280,101 deaths attributed to the Protestant Reformation.

Sorry I'm a day late in responding.  I appreciate your doing some homework...  The stat I gave was based on the memory of something I read quite some time ago which, I remember at the time, surprised me no end.  Two possibilities come immediately to mind:  different war?  maybe it was only Christian deaths during that war (in comparison)?  I regret any confusion.  Wasn't trying to deliberately mislead anyone.

Regards, the very fallible WC  :)
Blessed is he who mingleth with all men in a spirit of utmost kindliness and love. ~Baha'u'llah
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 3:23PM #123
Kerplunk

Chiyo wrote:

Sri Lanka, Japanese Buddhism of WW II... I'm going to ask you, even challenge you, to go to the Discuss Buddhism board and prove that these wars were;

1) Sanctioned by Buddhist scripture.

2) Were perpetrated in the name of propagating the Buddhist religion.

I really, really, really want to see that debate.

You bought your discrimination to this board, personally , I would not feel comfortable going over to their board just to tell them that their religion is even more genocidal than mine.

I really do not see how anyone can avoid the reality of Sir Lanka now and the Zen Holy War of Japan.  I have read responses, both on book review of the recent book called "The Zen Holy War" and Buddhist protests over the British reporting genocide in Sir Lanka.

Your suggestion that all I need to do is go over to the Buddhist board and be enlighten is a bit insulting.  You assume that I have not done my homework because I disagree with you.

Also,

Still does not erase the 5,600,000 results that pop up when I google "Christian Terrorism.

I goggled it.  And?  Am I suppose to be convinced by this cliche used by atheistic sites that somehow they are writing the truth between all the dripping expressions of hatred for Christianity? 

If those are the types of websites that you visit to become informed about Christianity, that is very scary.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 3:26PM #124
Free2beme09

Kerplunk wrote:

I think it is very much a holy war.. But lets not forget Japanese Buddhism of WW II. And the list goes on and on.

People are people, and all religions through out history have been set aside so people can kill. The problem is not the religion, it is the people who fail to practice their religion.

Have you considered hoovering around the Buddhist forums? I think you will see how wrong you are if you would just observe some of the discussions there. I am with MaineCaptain, I just do not see a Zen Buddhist trying to convert anyone. They do not seem to have the same need to change or save the world. It seems odd they would try to change something believed to be created by themselves~for themselves. They just do not seem to partake in the same self fulfillment prophecy as some/a lot of brands of Christians are so guilty of.

Religion is for those afraid of hell.  Spirituality is had by those who have been there!
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 3:31PM #125
arjun

Kerplunk wrote:

The problem is not the religion, it is the people who fail to practice their religion.

If the theological world view of each religion is so different, what makes you claim that followers of every religion will end-up genuinly "misinterpreting" the teachings of their religion in exactly the same way ?

I find it quite amusing that many muslims and Christians go to great lengths to seperate the teachings of their religion from all others..but somewhow when it comes to "misinterpretation" of religion they will spare no efforts to show that the genuine misinterpreters of all religions behave the same.

Christianity and Islam have always had this strong undercurrent of teaching (either directly or indirectly) that the non-confirmist is a worshipper of evil dark forces such as Satan..Lucifer etc etc and the non-confirmist is anti God etc etc

When the above theological view is combined with other factors it can lead to a combustible mix. In Olden times these created more havoc as the moderating effect of modern human values, rational thought processes, influence of universalist theologies from the east and scientific thinking was non-existent to counterbalance.

In modern times introducing the idea of satan worshippers etc in tribal societies or other tradcaitional cultures which lack modern education etc can still be dangerous.

Arjun

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 3:33PM #126
Kerplunk

free2beme09 wrote:

Have you considered hoovering around the Buddhist forums? I think you will see how wrong you are if you would just observe some of the discussions there. I am with MaineCaptain, I just do not see a Zen Buddhist trying to convert anyone. They do not seem to have the same need to change or save the world. It seems odd they would try to change something believed to be created by themselves~for themselves. They just do not seem to partake in the same self fulfillment prophecy as some/a lot of brands of Christians are so guilty of.

I am not talking conversion, I am talking genocide.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 3:34PM #127
Lilley

theprinterlady wrote:

It has seemed to me that you have determined who is a “real” Christian and who is not by your own interpretation of Jesus’ words, because you declare that people who do things you don’t approve of “have left the teachings of Christ" or do their deeds "apart from the Christian faith".

It may seem that way to you, but that doesn't make it so.  The things I've written on this thread are there for all to read.  You don't have to go over every one out of context and give us all the proper interpretation as "it seems to you."  I can speak for myself and everyone can read it for themselves, so please stop acting like you have some kind of insight into my thinking.  You don't.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 3:34PM #128
Free2beme09

Kerplunk wrote:

You bought your discrimination to this board, personally.

This is a debate/discussion board about religious discrimination.  ;)  Wasn't the purpose of these thread to drive in the contraversary of discrimination?

Also, I goggled it. And? Am I suppose to be convinced by this cliche used by atheistic sites that somehow they are writing the truth between all the dripping expressions of hatred for Christianity?

If those are the types of websites that you visit to become informed about Christianity, that is very scary.

I haven't been here long but I believe, & please correct me if I am wrong, Chiyo used to be a Christian????  It seems there are a lot of "used to be Christians" on this board. 

I believe he may have been taught through the use of a bible, not google.com.  But again someone correct me if I am wrong.

Religion is for those afraid of hell.  Spirituality is had by those who have been there!
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 3:40PM #129
Chiyo

Kerplunk wrote:

You bought your discrimination to this board, personally , I would not feel comfortable going over to their board just to tell them that their religion is even more genocidal than mine.

I really do not see how anyone can avoid the reality of Sir Lanka now and the Zen Holy War of Japan. I have read responses, both on book review of the recent book called "The Zen Holy War" and Buddhist protests over the British reporting genocide in Sir Lanka.

Your suggestion that all I need to do is go over to the Buddhist board and be enlighten is a bit insulting. You assume that I have not done my homework because I disagree with you.

It's obvious, you got nothing.

Also, I goggled it. And? Am I suppose to be convinced by this cliche used by atheistic sites that somehow they are writing the truth between all the dripping expressions of hatred for Christianity?

Ha, ha, ha.... I was born to a conservative Episcopal now Anglican priest and a strict German Catholic mother. Raised in his church and her schools. Went to Bible college for 5 years, full time, for 2 B.A.s in Pastoral Counseling and Religious Education -- dean's list. I'm much more familiar with Christianity than you give me credit for. And it was Christian terrorism that drove me out of the religion, I've learned about it all from bloody experience.

And I'm feelin' your love, brother.

You don't want to do anything to change the culture of violence? No skin off my nose. It'll just sicken more people into leaving what some conservative Christians are all already admitting is a dying religion.

Negative perceptions toward the Christian faith have outweighed the positive as a growing percentage of younger Americans associate with a faith outside Christianity.

Only 16 percent of non-Christians aged 16 to 29 years old said they have a "good impression" of Christianity, according to a report released Monday by The Barna Group. A decade ago, the vast majority of Americans outside the Christian faith, including young people, felt favorably toward Christianity’s role in society,

Young people have an even lesser positive impression of evangelicals. Only 3 percent of 16- to 29-year-olds who are not of the Christian faith express favorable views of evangelicals. In the previous generation, 25 percent of young people had positive associations toward evangelicals.

"[Evangelicals] have always been viewed with skepticism in the broader culture," said the Barna report. "However, those negative views are crystallizing and intensifying among young non-Christians."

Common negative perceptions among non-Christians is that present-day Christianity is judgmental (87 percent), hypocritical (85 percent), old-fashioned (78 percent), and too involved in politics (75 percent).

More here; Click me

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 3:41PM #130
Kerplunk

arjun wrote:

If the theological world view of each religion is so different, what makes you claim that followers of every religion will end-up genuinly "misinterpreting" the teachings of their religion in exactly the same way ?

Well, finally we get to the point.  Maybe the common factor is people?  Maybe for a lot of people religion is just something they inherited?

I find it quite amusing that many muslims and Christians go to great lengths to seperate the teachings of their religion from all others..but somewhow when it comes to "misinterpretation" of religion they will spare no efforts to show that the genuine misinterpreters of all religions behave the same.

So, let me understand you.  If Muslims and Christians distance themselves from those who claim the religion and do not practice it, claiming it as misinterpretation, and if you think this is not good enough, then what is your excuse for those genocidal monks in Sir Lanka at the moment (see links above of the news articles about the reality of that)?

Are you saying that are practicing the tenets of Buddhism???

I am confused.  What way are you going to go on this?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 13 of 15  •  Prev 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook