Page 1 of 28  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 28 Next
Switch to Forum Live View feminism as a reaction
6 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2007 - 3:00PM #1
Brønwyn
I've been thinking about this a bit, and it has occurred to my mind that feminism was perhaps "born" because of the oppression of what many scriptures in Christianity have espoused into societies that are Christian based.

I hate to post scriptures of the Bible, but it seems highly important to understand what....I believe....is the reason feminism was born.

I do not believe feminism was born to bring about hatred towards men. Not at all. Women who are doing that have grudges, possibly lots of pain from certain abuses they've experienced from men.

But certainly, I do not think that's what feminism is all about.

I'm going to post these scriptures. Close your eyes to them if it nauseates you to see scriptures from the Bible. But, for those who would like to read them, I think you might see how feminism could be born just from viewing such words as these from the Bible and how they were instigated into societies that became somewhat Christian based in behaviors.

~~~~~

Gen 3:16 Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you.

1 Timothy 2:11-14 A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner.

1 Peter 3:1-7 Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful. They were submissive to their own husbands, like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her master. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear. Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers.

Titus 2:3-5 Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.

1 Corinthians 14:33b-35 As in all the congregations of the saints, women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.

Leviticus 12:2b-5 ...a woman who becomes pregnant and gives birth to a son will be ceremonially unclean for seven days, just as she is unclean during her monthly period. On the eighth day the boy is to be circumcised. Then the woman must wait thirty-three days to be purified from her bleeding. She must not touch anything sacred or go to the sanctuary until the days of her purification are over. If she gives birth to a daughter, for two weeks the woman will be unclean, as during her period. Then she must wait sixty-six days to be purified from her bleeding.

Ephesians 5:22-24 Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

Colossians 3:18 Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.

~~~~~~

Now, I'm not saying it's ALL Christian-based ideas that have led to this. There is certainly the whole Greek mythology to be looked at as well, that....IMO....really opened the door for women to begin being looked upon as "lesser" than the man.

I am not one for lesser or greater between the sexes. Equality, yes.....but with understandings of each person's abilities....balancing between the strengths and weaknesses of each other.

Weaknesses don't mean the "lesser", and strengths don't mean the "greater".

What I think feminism wanted to do was throw off the Christian mentality that was being put on women.

It wasn't to ATTACK the man, but to get liberated from the man IF THE MAN was stuck in some oppressive/repressive mores that were choking the woman out of what she is capable of!

Yes, she is capable of braiding her hair and wearing gold jewelry and fine clothes....and STILL be beautiful inside as well!

Yes, she is capable of having her menstruations and still be very clean, if not spiritually potent as well, and if not just as sexually alive as well!

Yes, she is capable of speaking up and making sense! She is capable of teaching the man, absolutely!

Yes, the crone, even in her debauchery! is quite capable of teaching the young maidens a few things!

And the list goes on and on.....to get re-liberated out of what Christianity has posed upon women in general.

Is feminism a reaction? Certainly, and for good reason.

Is feminism a part of paganism? Certainly, and for good reason.

That is my opinion.

Bronwyn
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2007 - 3:03PM #2
Sacrificialgoddess
I think we need to first define feminism.
Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2007 - 3:20PM #3
GreenEyedLily
To me feminism represents a hopefully equal world between the sexes.

To me equal doesnt necessarily mean that whatever a man does a woman should too.  In all fairness Ive always said that a petite 5 foot nothing woman obviously wont necessarily be as physically strong as a 6 foot, 235 pound man.  So in all fairness to society I dont think ALL women should be able to become firefighters for example.  However I do feel that no one should be discriminated against due to their gender.  Or their skin color for that matter - but thats a whole different subject.

I have to say though - I tried reading those scriptures - but the first two made my blood boil at the references to women and how they should be treated - so I stopped reading.  Its a holiday here and Im trying to keep my blood pressure at an even healthy rate. hehe
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2007 - 3:21PM #4
Brønwyn

sacrificialgoddess wrote:

I think we need to first define feminism.

Well, the simple definition of the word "feminism" is....

"A movement for granting women political, social, and economic equality with men."

The "social" part being rather significant to me. ;)

Bronwyn

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2007 - 3:24PM #5
Sacrificialgoddess

Brønwyn wrote:

Well, the simple definition of the word "feminism" is....

"A movement for granting women political, social, and economic equality with men."

The "social" part being rather significant to me. ;)

Bronwyn

Glass ceiling stuff?

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2007 - 3:26PM #6
Brønwyn

GreenEyedLily wrote:

I have to say though - I tried reading those scriptures - but the first two made my blood boil at the references to women and how they should be treated - so I stopped reading.  Its a holiday here and Im trying to keep my blood pressure at an even healthy rate. hehe

Sorry! :o

But, there, now you can see what was being "brainwashed" into men and women influenced under the hand of Christianity, and what it brought into certain societies...in a very social way.

Bronwyn

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2007 - 3:28PM #7
Brønwyn

sacrificialgoddess wrote:

Glass ceiling stuff?

:confused:

essssplain. :p

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2007 - 3:29PM #8
GreenEyedLily
Its scary really...to think that something taken so literally as the Bible (to some) says things like that in it. 

Ive worked with many men who just cant accept a women in an authoratative position...one even yelled at me I better learn my place as a woman!  Ooooh boy now THAT got my blood boiling hehe
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2007 - 3:29PM #9
Sacrificialgoddess

Brønwyn wrote:

:confused:

essssplain. :p

Ya know, where the men get paid more than the men, because "they have a family to support,"  and they get the promotions for the same reason and what not.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2007 - 3:34PM #10
Brønwyn

GreenEyedLily wrote:

one even yelled at me I better learn my place as a woman!  Ooooh boy now THAT got my blood boiling hehe

:p funny....

but seriously, isn't it strange that the word "place" is even being used?

What is this? -- a "place" where a woman is and a "place" where a man is?

Equality doesn't do things like that, not at all.

Bronwyn

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 28  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 28 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook