Switch to Forum Live View How do the Orthodox understand kenosis?
6 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2008 - 2:14AM #1
Solidgranit
I am curious about this topic.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2008 - 9:29AM #2
WitnessNJ

Solidgranit wrote:

What do you mean?  Kenosis is understood as self-emptying,  humbling oneself.   It is to break away from selfishness, and to become selfless.   For Orthodox Christians, it is to live in the love of God, and His creation, the way humanity was originally created to live.  God’s  incarnation itself is an example,  not just His becoming a human person, without ceasing to be God in His very essence, but how he humbled Himself and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross.

Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God. But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men. And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. (Philippians 2:5-8)

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2008 - 9:29AM #3
WitnessNJ

Solidgranit wrote:

What do you mean?  Kenosis is understood as self-emptying,  humbling oneself.   It is to break away from selfishness, and to become selfless.   For Orthodox Christians, it is to live in the love of God, and His creation, the way humanity was originally created to live.  God’s  incarnation itself is an example,  not just His becoming a human person, without ceasing to be God in His very essence, but how he humbled Himself and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross.

Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God. But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men. And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. (Philippians 2:5-8)

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2009 - 10:50AM #4
peace79
There must be some practical ways which in our modern society we can put into practice. Emptying oneself is a great word whose meaning we can hardly understood unless we humbly seek ways by which we would be able to deny ourselves, I think.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2009 - 10:50AM #5
peace79
There must be some practical ways which in our modern society we can put into practice. Emptying oneself is a great word whose meaning we can hardly understood unless we humbly seek ways by which we would be able to deny ourselves, I think.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook