Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Mythological Massacre (aka Reconstructionist Royal Rumble): Preliminaries
10 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2008 - 1:23PM #1
gorm_sionnach
So, this is going to be a totally fun topic, but I figure in the spirit of fostering community among Recons, it was worth a shot.

Here's the breakdown, An elimination style, vote based battle royale between the various traditions favourite heroes, champions and warriors. Essentially there would be a list, compiled from submited lists of mythological figures by you the Recon public. Depending on the speed, it would any given poll would last one to two days, and we would systematically narrow it down until a final champion emerges victorious.

Further, if there was enough interest, you could give brief bio's of your heroes, so perhaps those from outside your trad may get to know a little more, fun and educational, it's win win.

If however you think this is a stupid idea, well to bad for me I suppose. At least I tried :D
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2008 - 10:51AM #2
gorm_sionnach
Well, I see some people are actually reading the posts, so maybe a little more info...

Alright, as this would be the "Hero" round, I'll list Heroe's, Champions and other figures.

Celtic mythology:

Cuchulain

Fionn Mac Cumhaill

Arthur

Greek Mythology:

Perseus

Jason

Odysseus

Heracles

Hector

Achilles

That is all I can come up with right now, I regret that I am not familiar with many Roman or Norse Heroes (Deity I am much more familiar with). So feel free to add some other figures I've missed.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2008 - 9:06AM #3
sonnymoon42
Ooooh, a Supernatural Smackdown!

Reminds me of a Marvel comic book story:

For the uninitiated, that's Thor on the left and Hercules on the right.

Doesn't seem like a fair fight, does it? After all, Hercules was only a demigod.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2008 - 9:19AM #4
sonnymoon42
Anyway, things got out of hand and Hercules' dad had to intervene:

Zeus made them both apologize, and in the end, they became best buddies.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2008 - 9:06AM #5
sonnymoon42
Ooooh, a Supernatural Smackdown!

Reminds me of a Marvel comic book story:

For the uninitiated, that's Thor on the left and Hercules on the right.

Doesn't seem like a fair fight, does it? After all, Hercules was only a demigod.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2008 - 9:19AM #6
sonnymoon42
Anyway, things got out of hand and Hercules' dad had to intervene:

Zeus made them both apologize, and in the end, they became best buddies.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2008 - 9:21PM #7
gorm_sionnach
[QUOTE=sonnymoon42;894705]Anyway, things got out of hand and Hercules' dad had to intervene:

Zeus made them both apologize, and in the end, they became best buddies.[/QUOTE]

... at least until Civil war... then again that was a Thor clone...

Still, at leas there is some activity on the thread, I had almost given it up for dead.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2008 - 9:21PM #8
gorm_sionnach
[QUOTE=sonnymoon42;894705]Anyway, things got out of hand and Hercules' dad had to intervene:

Zeus made them both apologize, and in the end, they became best buddies.[/QUOTE]

... at least until Civil war... then again that was a Thor clone...

Still, at leas there is some activity on the thread, I had almost given it up for dead.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2008 - 9:24AM #9
sonnymoon42
You know, this might make a great card game, and teach people about the various mythologies/religions of the world at the same time. You could have cards that list the various attributes & powers of each character and assign "trump" rights based on that.

Me, I don't know much about it, other than poring over Edith Hamilton's Mythology when I was a kid. The book was mostly about the Greek and Roman gods, although it had a small section in the back devoted to Norse mythology. The Norse gods, in my mind, were much more interesting; but that opinion may also have been formed from reading Marvel comic books.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2008 - 8:31PM #10
gorm_sionnach
Sounds good to me Celt... are there any other Celts I should include? I really know more about the Insular than the continental... There are the Welsh too...

How about Norse? I am unfamiliar with Norse heroes...
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook