Switch to Forum Live View Orthodox View of Satan???
6 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2008 - 2:23AM #1
Solidgranit
Out of curiosity, what is the Orthodox view of Satan?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 21, 2008 - 10:39AM #2
WitnessNJ
[FONT=Arial]

Out of curiosity, what is the Orthodox view of Satan?

I would think that it is the same as all of Christianity.[/FONT]

The patristic evidence points to the fact that the cause of evil in the world is the devil. The devil was created by God as an angel, who was free, and as a free agent chose to oppose the plan of God. That is, the devil is a fallen angel. Satan is not evil by nature, but by will and action. In Satan there is no truth whatsoever; he is absolute falsehood and deception. Satan is not just a negation or deprivation of good, but a positive force with free will that always chooses evil. The devil has the ability to recognize divine power, as in the incident of recognizing Christ as the Son of God (Matt. 4:1-11; Luke 4:1-3). Satan has under his leadership legions and invisible powers, with their own "satanic teachings." The devil and evil spirits know that God exists and recognize true and devoted Christians, but pious Christians discern the plans of the devil. The devil, however, constantly employs every method of deception to enslave man to satanic forces and causes rebellion against God. He is the cause of corruption and disorder, a parasitic power in the world that will ultimately be destroyed by the power of God in the "last days." Because there is no compromise between God and the devil, the struggle will continue until the end.

The Orthodox doctrine of God is that He is eternal, uncreated and incorporeal. All other creatures, both visible and invisible, were created by God as free. The power of the devil will ultimately be destroyed by the resurrection of the dead and the renewal of creation. Salvation from all evil will be attained by obedience to God and His plan. This world is a battleground between the acceptance of good and evil. It must be pointed out that the world as the creation of God is not evil. What is evil is the satanic power, destroyed by the power of the cross and the resurrection of Christ.
( from Exorcism in the Orthodox Church - GOARCH Web Site )

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2009 - 11:58AM #3
Nike

You're right. Satan in E. Orthodoxy is similar to the pop culture perception of Satan (whether it's how the majority of Christians see Satan, I do not know). My mom maintains that he is real, wily, and seeking to lead people away from god. She even claims to have seen him once in her sleep, after which she immediately got herself baptised.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 14, 2009 - 3:09PM #4
Utilyan

I am the Devil.   

The Accuser and Lord of Darkness.

The biggest mistake folks make is believe God will beat me later.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook